BR MK1 full brake interior

The simualtor guard's compartment  looks reasonably accurate from  photos, but I suppose the guard's bit didn't change too much over time.

What's in one now was probably in one when it was built, except perhaps the seat may have been changed and unless it has been re-purposed by the current owner to store crisps and pop or other accoutrements .

Andy

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chris116 said:

All the Mk1 brakes on the Mid Hants have periscopes fitted and you can even see through them on a good day! Once I get down there for a duty I will take some photos for you. Our Bulleid brake also has a periscope but in the rebuilding of the coach for disabled use it now can only be used in one direction. Since I normally work from Alton and the Bulleid is normally on trains that start from Alresford it may be a while before I catch up with it.

A quick glance at Mike King's 'Southern Coaches' book confirms that  Bulleid brakes were only ever fitted with one periscope - the Mid-Hants Bulleid has not had one go AWOL as far as I know! The Southern always liked it's coaches in fixed sets with a brake at each end, the guard would ride in the rearmost vehicle.

It is the Mk1's that were fitted periscopes facing both ways!

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Goldhawk said:

A quick glance at Mike King's 'Southern Coaches' book confirms that  Bulleid brakes were only ever fitted with one periscope - the Mid-Hants Bulleid has not had one go AWOL as far as I know! The Southern always liked it's coaches in fixed sets with a brake at each end, the guard would ride in the rearmost vehicle.

It is the Mk1's that were fitted periscopes facing both ways!

Just shows that this guard has not studied Bulleid brake history but I do have to admit I hate working in it for a variety of reasons led by the outward opening guard doors. 

Edited by Chris116
Left a word out!
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, The Johnster said:

I never did.  But this was why the d screw next to the hook had a flat cast into it, so that you could remove through the slot behind the hook and insert the replacement spare.  I have done it as practice, but never in anger; the coupling is as heavy as it looks, but not unmanageable, even for a wimp like me.  The one I struggle with was the heavy duty rotating buckeye on the 100ton iron ore tipplers that we had to learn in case a train had to be split while we were working one.  The cast aluminium bar emergency coupling on the HST was a bit of a lump as well, and had to be carried from the guard's compartment, potentially the length of the train, another thing I was happy not to have ever done except in practice.

Mk1 passenger stock guard's compartment contained; revolving chair, foldup chair by the door, the usual desk, cupboard, and cubby holes, a food warmer (useless for warming food from cold, but it would keep a pie warm for a while, utterly useless as a form of compartment heating), spare coupling, ladder, crowbar (for wrecking, hope you don't need it), handbrake standard, brake pressure gauge(s), brake 'setter', ladder (for detraining passengers in emergency, pair of track circuit clips, and the periscope, mostly too dirty to use, coathooks.  Oh, and sometimes a guard...

Have I forgotten anything, Mike.  It's a long time ago now...

You omitted the tool box, the First Aid cabinet/box, the fire extinguisher (2 gallon water type),  the track circuit clips,  and the scotches (see below)

Tool box contents as at 1960 -

Crowbar (long),  crowbar (short), extension tube for crowbars), sledge hammer, Axe (Firemans type),  Axe (long handled), panel cutting tool, Safety hand amp, safety handlamp (electric - not carried in all brakevans, Wedges (steel), rope, saw (large), saw (small).

The tool box contents were altered in 1976 with various items deleted and others added.  I haven't got details of any changes after 1978 immediately to hand

Receptacle for sawdust (done away with during the 1960s), track circuit clips (2 sets) - added during the 1960s, 6 wooden scotches (air braked stock only) - added during the 1960s

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you Mike.  I remembered the fire extinguisher and first aid box after I'd clicked on 'submit reply' but had completely forgotten the scotches and tool box contents.  I did mention the track circuit clips, though!  Luckily I never had recourse to use the wrecking tools...

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, michl080 said:

There is a nice 7mm BG kit from David Parkins and there is a very nice build description from Simon Varnam . I am currently building this kit and its detail is nerve-wracking.

The description shows many of the details named in this thread.

Michael

Michael. The Simon Varnam build is a think of beauty!!! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Dug out an interior picture of NHA M92026. This was shortly after modification to run at 110mph, and repainted in InterCity livery outside. 11th May 1985 (formed in a Banbury to Tenby excursion).

IMG_1832.jpg

Edited by astropsidings
Date etc added
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

That is a really useful shot @astropsidings. I note the black "chalkboards" are in different positions on the different pics i have seen (which are few and far as @rodent279 points out). I elected to have them painted on the doors. 

I haven't got any chain small enough to represent the tie down chains on the door handles but will have a look at this. 

Here is progress so far, 

20200529_132050.jpg.14eedd33dd352d628102fe22921eb702.jpg

I have temporarily placed some dart castings mailbags and parcels in to gauge the effect. I am happy with the overall project so far. Some weathering of the body, ends and roof along with painted mailbags will see this project through to a close. 

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread in terms of image, info, anecdote, encouragement, advice and criticism. I would be grateful if you find anymore info or pics to post them here but i believe the project to be almost complete. I intend to do a full explanation of the project in the blog section at some point but here are a couple of shots of the cameo i have been aiming for. 

20200530_104904(0).jpg.4c21d04f75d491952327b2d4f5053037.jpg

20200530_104822.jpg.899a597016ef3908beb2714597a20199.jpg20200530_104252.jpg.be0fb39eb4365eb24b1d9bacb92097bb.jpg

Cheers for now

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 9

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Rather than start a new thread I thought here was as good a place as any for a related question. What colour were the built in cages in BR brakes (BSK specifically) in the maroon era and did it vary for the chocolate and cream sets or did these have tandard interiors?

Dapol have modelled the cages in maroon which is fine if correct but it is very noticeable (more so than this dull photo).

177125818_DSC_0051(2).JPG.7a6525b97212f29249d19522c9364e42.JPG

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Thanks. Interesting

I'd also wondered if the indent in the internal guards sliding door was meant to be glass, which that suggests is the case. I'm not sure I can be bothered to drill it out though!

The guard's sliding door does have a window and there is also a small window to the right of the sliding door where there should be a shelf for a bucket of sand and fire extinguisher. 

The sliding door between passenger saloon and guard's area also has a window. 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, westernviscount said:

The guard's sliding door does have a window and there is also a small window to the right of the sliding door where there should be a shelf for a bucket of sand and fire extinguisher. 

The sliding door between passenger saloon and guard's area also has a window. 

Thanks. They have done that corridor window, the other two are impressions but still solid. Maybe it simplified the moulding. Anyway I painted them black as a temporary fix.