Where do I buy a screwdriver small enough to.....

• RMweb Premium

Buy a good set though, some of the cheap miniature screwdrivers have little more than a passing resemblance to a decent cross head or flathead pattern resulting in slipped screw heads and the inability to unscrew a half tight original assembly.

• Agree 7

If you can, get a screwdriver with a proper handle and grip, the screws holding RTR bodies on are notoriously tight and jeweller's screwdrivers don't have much of a grip.

It's worth it in the long run. I have one I picked up years ago, unfortunately no idea where from I'm afraid.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

eBay is a good source if you can wait for the delivery.   Jewellers screwdrivers aren't great, for the job, difficult to get enough force as the bit will often turn in the handle.  

You need something with a nicely machined tip to the blade and hardened, the tip profile is crucial. For Bachmann etc  I have 2 good small cross head screwdrivers, one 2019 chinese which came with a 3 point driver as a set for 99p inc postage and one very old green handle one.  Both have very fine tips with no machining marks. Some RTR screws are posidrive profile so you need a driver without the final sharp point.   If you buy enough different ones you will probably end up with a good one.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Jewellers drivers which have thicker bodies are usually called “extra grip” type With a swivelling top piece, I have two sets bought years a go and are big enough to get a good purchase on when tackling the tight screws, and better still for tightening as you can feel exactly how little force you need to tighten.

• RMweb Gold

Screws this size are easy to lose and hard to find when you've lost them, so another tip is to stick them into a lump of Blutac or similar until you re-assemble the Jinty.

It's not just Bachmann, all the RTR manufacturers use these very small screws for holding keeper plates on and similar tasks.  I have a set of Jewellers' with interchangeable heads and a ratchet handle which IIRC I got in Hobbycraft for less than a tenner.  As has been said, don't bother with the cheapo pound shop ones.

I have the set linked by Enterprisingwestern and I'd second his recommendation - it's very well made for the price. I got mine on eBay.

I'd also recommend a device to magnetise your screwdrivers as this makes small screws much easier to handle.

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, dpgibbons said:

I have the set linked by Enterprisingwestern and I'd second his recommendation - it's very well made for the price. I got mine on eBay.

I'd also recommend a device to magnetise your screwdrivers as this makes small screws much easier to handle.

Don’t forget though if they are decent stainless steel you won’t be able to magnetise them.......which is what you definitely don’t want for watch making.

Instrument makers precision screw drivers if you want them magnetised.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I agree that a decent precision screwdriver set is worth it’s weight in gold!

Something so simple yet when dealing with such intricate parts it needs to be both functional and comfortable.

This is the set I use, a throwback from my previous spell in the motor trade infact. Various bits, lightly magnetised (too strong and it becomes more of a pain), light and comfortable with a palm bearing on the top.

The only time I have to switch to a traditional fixed piece precision screwdriver is if the neck of my driver is too large to reach a well sunken screw, as in some bodies etc.

300577F9-BAC0-48CD-82F5-F6E5A196010C.jpeg

Guest Half-full

I bought a cheap set from eBay a number of years ago, not the greatest quality but they do what they need to do.  I have a small magnet on the body which helps the the small screws in check!