Electric train staff machines

• RMweb Gold

Modelling, as I am, a former LBSC branch, I figure that the single line sections would probably be controlled by the electric train staff.

Does anyone make a 4mm model of the machines? Or does anyone have drawings (or at least dimensions) so I can carve a pair out of plasticard?

When you say former LBSCR branch, what period are you actually modelling as I think that a lot of the original (unwieldy) ETS equipment got replaced, either by METS or tokens, although I seem to recollect at least one ETS installation was still in use on the West Croydon-Wimbledon line well into the BR era.

There are photos and some drawings in the late George Pryer's "A Pictorial Record of Southern Signals", although no dimensions are given these wouldn't be difficult to estimate - and I reckon that one could knock a fair representation using plasticard in an afternoon. They were painted signal red. 

On 16/05/2020 at 12:49, Nick C said:

Modelling, as I am, a former LBSC branch, I figure that the single line sections would probably be controlled by the electric train staff.

Does anyone make a 4mm model of the machines? Or does anyone have drawings (or at least dimensions) so I can carve a pair out of plasticard?

We have two miniature web and Thompson’s in our club , I could measure them 

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Junctionmad said:

We have two miniature web and Thompson’s in our club , I could measure them 

That'd be great, thanks - but only if it's safe to do so.

Nick

Most if not all single line Brighton branches would have been equipped with ETS instruments that they retained until closure and it isn't quite as high a mileage as you might imagine. Horsted Keynes - Culver Junction, Three Bridges - Ashurst Junction, Redgate Mill Junction - Polegate, Peasmarsh Junction - Christ's Hospital, Deptford Wharf branch and as Becasse mentioned West Croydon - Mitcham Junction. There will be others that don't immediately come to mind.  Somewhere I have an RSCo catalogue pre 1923 that has a diagram of an ETS instrument and may well have dimensions. I'll find it and scan or phot it.

Regards

martin

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Here you are, I found it however there are no dimensions but someone in the past has helpfully added pencil notes, height 5' 0", width 1' 4", depth 1' 3", weight 3cwt 2 qrs or 178kg if you prefer. Note that the illustration is not exactly the pattern that the Brighton used which had the bell/staff selector on the rh dial, but otherwise the same. The block telephone was an option again which the Brighton didn't use AFAIK.

Martin

Staff instrument PDF.pdf

Edited by Martin Shaw
spelling
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, Martin Shaw said:

Here you are, I found it however there are no dimensions but someone in the past has helpfully added pencil notes, height 5' 0", width 1' 4", depth 1' 3", weight 3cwt 2 qrs or 178kg if you prefer. Note that the illustration is not exactly the pattern that the Brighton used which had the bell/staff selector on the rh dial, but otherwise the same. The block telephone was an option again which the Brighton didn't use AFAIK.

Martin

Staff instrument PDF.pdf 751.19 kB · 3 downloads

Great, thanks! That's exactly what I was after. I've found plenty of photos online of the one in Horsted Keynes, just needed the dimensions...

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Junctionmad said:

If you want the dimensions of a full size W&T ets machine I can measure that two 

( certainly within two weeks ) 

Thanks :) I think the full-size one is what the Brighton tended to use (at least on the Cranleigh line which I'm using for inspiration)