The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Gliders under lockdown

Porcy Mane

Just having a look at flight radar 24:  I've never seen so many gliders flying over central Europe. Is it the weather or is it the current situation. There also seems to be loads of private aircraft zooming about over southern England at the moment.  Hmmmmmmmmm.

423579718_GlidersLdown_16-05-2020.jpg.d765eafbf2ae3374b3a6127e9d31dfe7.jpg

P

• Informative/Useful 2

I suppose given cavok conditions and a much reduced airborne civilian aircraft count, this is the ideal time for gliding, and indeed private flying lessons. 

It must be lovely up there today. Low level convection up to about 5000ft. Visibility 60-70km. What's not to like? 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

There's been a single engine aircraft doing aerobatics  just out to sea from us today,  and several microlights doing the usual cross country,  point to point,  heading for Happisburgh lighthouse. 

• Like 2

The weather is perfect for light aircraft and gliders.
There have been quite a lot of light aircraft flying around over the last couple of weeks, but the weather is even better now and the lock downs on the continental mainland are gradually being relaxed.

FL24 is now displaying FLARM data, obtained from gliders that don’t usually carry transponders.

That’s why there are more showing now.

I think it’s still illegal to receive and decode this data and if so, FR24 are acting illegally.

Also...nothing whatsoever to do with the relative lack of commercial flights.

They mostly operate in completely different airspace.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

FL24 is now displaying FLARM data, obtained from gliders that don’t usually carry transponders.

That’s why there are more showing now.

I think it’s still illegal to receive and decode this data and if so, FR24 are acting illegally.

https://forum.flightradar24.com/forum/radar-forums/flightradar24-feeding-data-to-flightradar24/9904-feeding-flarm-to-fr24

57 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Also...nothing whatsoever to do with the relative lack of commercial flights.

They mostly operate in completely different airspace.

I'm glad you said, "mostly".  If commercials are landing on 07 at Newcastle & my local gliding club is active they share airspace and likewise it's right next to a very busy low fly military corridor. 

https://www.airproxboard.org.uk/uploadedFiles/Content/Standard_content/Airprox_report_files/2014/Airprox Report 2014208.pdf

1 hour ago, Porcy Mane said:

I'm glad you said, "mostly".  If commercials are landing on 07 at Newcastle & my local gliding club is active they share airspace and likewise it's right next to a very busy low fly military corridor. 

I deliberately said mostly, because as you rightly point out with your example, there are some regional airports that are not connected, or not fully connected, to the controlled airspace of the airways system; even though they may have local protection around them in the form of airfield control zones and control areas.

There's also the differences in the classification of airspace, which allows IFR and VFR traffic to mix in certain types of regulated airspace.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron

The RAF have been making the most of it too, we've had two Atlas C1s flying circuits and bumps at LBA in the last few weeks, one went on to Prestwick to do the same, the other went to Robin Hood / Finningley. As a result of which a very large Revell kit is headed this way :-)

• RMweb Premium

The restrictions on private flight have been amended this week. Flying is considered a recreational sport, therefore you may now fly an aircraft alone, or with members of the same household. At the moment instruction isn’t allowed due to the 2m SD requirement. 
Gliding with either aero tow or cable launch can be achieved with sensible SD precautions,  off site landing and de-rigging and recovery would be more challenging. Gliders recently (Generalisation) have been upgrading their comms equipment for both radio transmissions with atc and radar conspicuity so you may see more traces on software now that previously were there, but not recorded.

Edited by PMP
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, AY Mod said:

It's probably the usual amount but there's a better chance of IDing them in apps without all the bucket and spaders.

Oi, don't be so derogatory, if the bucket and spaders get airborne then I'm in a better position to get home and this country gets shut of me, a win win situation!!

Mike.

• Like 1