BREAKDOWN TRAIN TOOLVANS

vitalspark

Currently converting an Ian Kirk Gresley full brake to a tool van as one of the support coaches to accompany the new Bachmann crane.

Questions I have are does anyone know what the external usually white painted pipe running along the sole bar was added for?

Its been suggested its Air but if so is this for pneumatic tools or air braking?

If the former is the compressor within the coach and where are the take off points?

Does it run along the solebar on one side only?

Also does anyone know when these pipes were added as I am modelling this for display on both Alloa and the under construction Larbert layout which are early to mid '60s.

Thanks to all who may read this and offer anything no matter how diverse as I the build has currently stalled as I'm reluctant to just stick on a pipe without knowing its purpose or when it was carried.

In attach an unfortunately very low res image of such vehicle but it clearly shows the pipe(s) in question.

aee688_small_image.jpg.0793b352f80b904923a2138775727a18.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Dave.

• vitalspark changed the title to BREAKDOWN TRAIN TOOLVANS

Its not a vacuum pipe as ex passenger bogie vehicles already piped internally such as Gresley and Thompson vehicles also had these pipes running along the solebar.

Another unfortunately poor image of a Gresley vehicle conversion.

IMG_1982.jpg.48809af2cbbb85535d11229c516ee74f.jpg

Try having a look at the GNoSR website. They have some quite hi-res photies of tool vans parked in [Aberdeen] Ferryhill yard which might show something

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, vitalspark said:

Its not a vacuum pipe as ex passenger bogie vehicles already piped internally such as Gresley and Thompson vehicles also had these pipes running along the solebar.

I don't know why they would paint it white (nor take the time to paint the wheel rims white for a departmental coach!) but that again looks like the standard as-built location of the vacuum brake pipe.

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/lnerparcels/h3483C83#h3483c83

3 hours ago, Bucoops said:

I don't know why they would paint it white (nor take the time to paint the wheel rims white for a departmental coach!) but that again looks like the standard as-built location of the vacuum brake pipe.

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/lnerparcels/h3483C83#h3483c83

Some depots took great pride in their breakdown train vehicles, and kept them in good nick, so that often when there was spare time/painter available, they would get some attention lavished on them.

Paul J.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, vitalspark said:

LNER coaches had their vacuum pipe located along the solbar. GetImage.aspx?IDMF=fc27c62e-1e0f-4426-ba

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

That is very interesting and something I hadn't noticed.

It also means I should include this pipe as it is an ex LNE Gresley full brake.

The sliding side doors end windows and corridor connection removal has already been completed but I was wary of adding g the pipe in case it was an air brake conversion or something added in the 70s.

The Alloa and Larbert layouts depict early to mid sixties.

Thanks to all who have posted your input has been great help. 

Dave.

• Like 1