The Sparrow - new layout (proposed)

Giles

Just to update, this is the primary loco fleet:

Peckett (green) radio controlled 500mAh battery. Should be good for at least six hours

0-14 Peckett radio controlled Gamecock 7mm

Peckett (black) radio controlled  500mAh battery

IMG_3426

Quarry Hunslet radio controlled 700mAh battery full day operation

0-14 Quarry Hunslet 'GWYNEDD'

Bagnall  radio controlled  650mAh  - full day operation

IMG_2043

Manning Wardle 'Jubilee 1897' 1000mAh battery - 2-days?

Manning Wardle Jubilee 10

The layout will also be wired for DCC so various other locos may take their turns - but the ease, smoothness and reliability of the RC is a joy...... 'handing over' locos, less so...

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/06/2021 at 18:17, Giles said:

Just to update, this is the primary loco fleet:

Peckett (green) radio controlled 500mAh battery. Should be good for at least six hours

0-14 Peckett radio controlled Gamecock 7mm

Peckett (black) radio controlled  500mAh battery

IMG_3426

Quarry Hunslet radio controlled 700mAh battery full day operation

0-14 Quarry Hunslet 'GWYNEDD'

Bagnall  radio controlled  650mAh  - full day operation

IMG_2043

Manning Wardle 'Jubilee 1897' 1000mAh battery - 2-days?

Manning Wardle Jubilee 10

The layout will also be wired for DCC so various other locos may take their turns - but the ease, smoothness and reliability of the RC is a joy...... 'handing over' locos, less so...

Hi Giles, lovely locos.  Can you tell me where they are from?  I recognise some but where is the Peckett  from?

Cheers Tim

I keep my eye out for useful things, and I recently ordered this boat from Russia.

1:43 scale (as opposed to anything else!) And a scale 20 foot, it is a nice resin model - both inside and out. The rudder comes separately,  and i have added on. Also included are 6 sweeps (oars) with rowlocks cast on. It will certainly find a place on the layout. At 20ft it may be a tad long to hang on the ships davits, but i'll have a look!

20210621_144606

20210622_120417 20210622_120424

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

I now have six fully completed,  the other eight (six production and two prototype) just needing couplings fitted and painting)

Being coincidentally the same size as the Bachmann side tippers, they are large wagons, so a total of fourteen will be more than adequate. They are crude models, but will do the job, and what i have not achieved in detail will perhaps be allowed in character and functionality. 

2021-07-07_05-34-47

2021-07-07_05-35-58

2021-07-07_05-33-22

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/07/2021 at 14:07, Giles said:

Jubilee now has her plates.....

Your Jubilee looks stunning! And well done on persevering with the wagons. 

I like the look of the Russian boat you bought. Don’t suppose you could point me in the direction of where you got it from could you please?

Thanks,

Andrew

The motor end of the tipping mechanism. Under the baseboard  this simple linear actuator will be mounted. There is a 1mm dia nickel silver rod soldered to the nut which disappears off the top of the photo.  This is the bit that actually does the pushing through the baseboard. The gearmotor is  a 12v 1000rpm type with M4 x 50 threaded rod as an output shaft. The guide bars are 1.6mm silver steel. Only 40mm of travel is actually needed to do the job, and the speed looks good.

Tipping mechanism (linear actuator)

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
On 18/05/2020 at 10:39, pauliebanger said:

Giles,

Will Sparrow rise and fall as goods are unloaded/reloaded? Maybe also pitch and yaw with action of the sea?

Best regards,

Paul

Not if you are already on the bottom because the tides out.

Andy

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

There may be an additional loco for The Sparrow  - because you can  never have enough, and I've always been interested in this one. There's limited information on it - a Proposed G.A. from Bagnall, and about four photos of the first loco built, before it was shipped to Africa. When you start getting into it, you realise there are a lot of differences between the Proposal, and the As-Built - not unreasonably. I've therefore spent a little time sorting this out as best I can, and the results are probably not very far off.

Edited with updated drawing.....

Bagnall Ashanti Diesel 7mm scale

Edited by Giles
Updated drawing
  • Informative/Useful 1

The loco was built for the Ashanti Mines, and had a 6 cylinder Gardener driving a 2-speed epicyclic gearbox and a dog-clutch reverse on the final shaft. It was later fitted with a diff.

5' across the buffer beams, standing 9' high and 3' between axles. Diesel and water tanks behind the cab, and a small 12 gallon service tank at the front of the cab.

This is one of the spring assemblies I have drawn and printed with a Mars 2 Pro

Rev A spring assembly

Bogie frames from nickel silver, CNCd on the Stepcraft. 

2021-09-17_04-27-41

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Thank you Nye

I use DesignSpark Mechanical,  and draw the curve in plan, copy it to the thickness of the spring (0.22 in this instance), close the ends, and Pull the area up by 1.4 or whatever to form the leaf. I then copy the (lower) surface, move the copy off about 0.02mm or so to leave a small gap, and then pull that to form the next spring, but then Pull (push) the ends to shorten the new curved leaf to whatever length I want. Rinse and repeat.....

I don't know if it's the best or right way to do it, but it was quite straightforward to do.....

• Like 1

The first two cranks cut on the Stepcraft. they are of course slightly different for all locos, so one starts again with the drawing and toolpath - moreover, because I want a good fit on the 2mm axles, and invariably it is a different cutter, I have to do a series of test holes fractionally adjusting the size till I get a good fit on the rod I've got. Then I can try actually cutting one, only to ralise Ive made an error in the cutting path, and stop the machine, reprogram and start again..... so it takes time. These then take 17 minutes each actual cutting time, so ling as nothing goes wrong. They will have 14BA bolts silver soldered in from the back (after tapping)

Aspartic Cranks

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4