The Sparrow - new layout (proposed)

Giles

Everyone's going to get very bored with this...... however, things progress slowly. Today I made sure all was clean, and blackened the frames and epoxied the spring/horn assemblies on , which was very easy with the three holes to locate them.

Everyone's going to get very bored with this...... however, things progress slowly. Today I made sure all was clean, and blackened the frames and epoxied the spring/horn assemblies on , which was very easy with the three holes to locate them.

2021-10-03_06-48-31

Next was etch primer, cutting axles and pressing wheels and a bevel gear on.......

2021-10-03_06-47-09

Ashanti power bogies

Thus far, I'm extremely happy with things - loving the printer, and how much it helps!

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

12 hours ago, Giles said:

Everyone's going to get very bored with this...... 

You under estimate the attention that can be generated in learning from a master.

Keep going, I'm interested in how you make use of the new printer, I'm planning to treat myself to one in the near future.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Bolster fitted to bogie

The first bogie is now fully assembled, and fitted with its PLA printed bolster.  The bolster has a hole through to accommodate the gearmotor at exactly the right position  and angle, and also has a spheres the top to act as a pivot, and as a fixing (think snap fastening)

Motor fitted through bolster

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

2021-10-15_01-33-58

A brace of Bagnalls...... in progress. It's taken quite a few hours to get to this stage to say the least. Also, to get two good bonnets, I cut four and had two not good enough - same with the cab fronts..... so it has been a fight all the way. 

2021-10-13_06-44-08

Cab fronts with spectacle brasses ready to solder in.

2021-10-15_06-17-58

First front section with 1mm beading soldered on. Care is needed not to over heat it in the process, and have it expand away and buckle,  but it went well.

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

Progress is slow, but still happening (whilst real work isn't!) .  Hand rails are fitted, including the reduced diameter in the channel section. Lifting eyes at both ends are fitted, and internal plates for mounting the loco bolsters are soldered in. In the foreground are two brake standards that now need cleaning up......

They do remind me of a pair of Gentleman's Sporting Locomotives, somehow.....

2021-10-27_06-20-17

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...

The metal-work on the bodies is now complete 

20211104_174450

Printed parts such as gearbox, service tank, tank fillers, switch panel, hinges will be added after priming .

Some bits were especially fiddly to make, especially the 'spinners'  on the engine bay doors, at about 3mm long

Screenshot_20211104-090913

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

One of the things I love about this hobby and the progress of things is how absolutely wonderful the development of affordable technology is. I remember seeing early 3D printers that cost six figures, and being extremely impressed, little thinking that within 15 - 20years much better ones (though smaller) would be available to us for a couple of hundred pounds......

Below is the switch panel for the Ashanti. Three domestic light type switches, and one push-to-make switch - for the horns I think. As per the photo from 1933 or '34. Printed in full detail that one can't actually see courtesy of a Mars 2 Pro. The whole panel is only 5mm x 5mm. Magic!

Similarly the headlights are printed (dome shells) with about 0.3mm wall thickness,  microscopic LEDs inserted, back-filled with epoxy, and then epoxied onto a CNCd shouldered 'lens' which locates them in the circular aperture in the front and back plates of the cab.

Ashanti Bagnall switch panel

Ashanti Bagnall lights

Ashanti Bagnall glazing

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4