Revolution trains 3rd Facebook live - Possible new models to be announced

Lukas G.

On 21/05/2020 at 18:51, Lantavian said:

Do you mean "prototype" in the normal sense or as modelling jargon here?

Here's a polite answer @Lantavian

He's referring to prototype i.e. based on a real loco or item of rolling stock. Not prototype where it means a one-off design. Hope this helps?

It's sad that some people cannot just answer a question and would rather make it more difficult than anything else. It's the usual culprits and they will go on behind people.

Edited by MGR Hooper!

5 hours ago, red death said:

Interesting thread folks! All will be revealed next week. 

Nothing to do with Sonic I’m afraid (though there are future announcements to make on that front). 

I don’t think it is giving anything away by saying that the announcements would have been made at DEMU’s Showcase if we hadn’t been in lockdown. 

As with everything it will please some and disappoint others but even if what we announce isn’t for you this time the announcement after might well be!

Cheers Mike

Looking forward to it next week.

Cheers!

2 hours ago, Lantavian said:

I'm not trying to trip people up. But as a relatively new member of this forum, I do feel that some older members don't really like new people with questions. How are you supposed to learn?

Some people claim that the hobby is dying, because there are not enough newcomers. Making fun of newcomers with questions is not going to help, is it?

Absolutely agree, there's quite a few members on here who just cannot tolerate questions from newbies. Not really welcoming at all. Certainly gives a very negative impression on the community. It's best you ignore them. Replying to them only gets more useless and egotistical replies and then you'll have their type pile on afterwards. As usual such posts that really don't contribute to the conversation. Just lengthens the thread for no reason.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Lantavian said:

I'm a journalist. Facts and words are important to me. So is getting things right. 

Better put your hard hat on. That does not fit with most people's experience of journalism.

Seriously, the purpose of a forum like this is to be informative and that does require accurate use of language. But little would get written if all forum members had to check over all their posts for spelling, grammar, etc. And, as highlighted by this case, groups will make use of terms that do not mean the same as in the wider world.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

On 23/05/2020 at 05:40, Lantavian said:

No, I thought it was ambiguous.

On 23/05/2020 at 05:45, Lantavian said:

Yes I understand that. So "prototype" has two meanings.

Context is everything, and in context the meaning was quite clear. There are many cases in the English language where the same word has multiple meanings; we don't have to stress the exact meaning each time, the context does that for us. Otherwise, little girls with bows in their hair would be constantly chased by boys dressed as cowboys. This may happen anyway, but for completely different reasons; kids seem to grow up so quickly these days.

On 23/05/2020 at 05:50, Lantavian said:

I'm a journalist. Facts and words are important to me. So is getting things right.

You obviously don't work for News Corp or the BBC then. :jester:

Edited by truffy

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

The FB Live will start at 1930.  It’s just to give us a little bit of extra time to get things set up.   It’ll probably last for about 20-25 minutes, though of course that is flexible.

There’ll be a countdown clock visible from about 1920 so you’ll know you’re in the right place.

See you tomorrow!

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Ben A said:

Hi all,

The FB Live will start at 1930.  It’s just to give us a little bit of extra time to get things set up.   It’ll probably last for about 20-25 minutes, though of course that is flexible.

There’ll be a countdown clock visible from about 1920 so you’ll know you’re in the right place.

See you tomorrow!

cheers

Ben A.

Brilliant...

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Ben A said:

Hi all,

See you tomorrow!

cheers

Ben A.

Looking forward to it Ben.

Oh, and if by any remote chance you announce a Mk.1 Griddle coach:

bc07129bf7a7a603402988d421e143bb.jpeg.606bf952a6b1101aebe2752287e718b6.jpeg

Just sayin'............:D

Tom.  

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

C'mon, please stop derailing the thread. That's derail as in discussion, not a literal removal of an object from rails, like a train.

You could have said "do you mean prototype as in a one off, or is there another meaning I'm not sure of?". Prototype in this context is very common parlance among modellers (not just railways), as I pointed out it's instrumental in how the forum is structured, and you're managing to navigate that. Instead you made a slightly snide jib about jargon, and continued that tack. It's nothing to do with being new, or there being an established clique here, it's to do with asking questions in a polite way.

Please let's leave it alone, and not continue the 'debate' onto a third page. If you don't have a relevant contribution to make then just scroll on by the thread.

I'm looking forward to the new announcements; I have got an idea of one thing that's on the cards from a previous discussion, and if I'm right I'm certainly excited!  

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

Guest Half-full
1 hour ago, Lantavian said:

So basically, the message to newcomers with questions is: me and my chums understand, and that's all that matters

If you don't like it, leave

Newcomers are very welcome, I'm newer than you and I feel welcome.  The correct attitude goes a long way.

10 hours ago, Ben A said:

Excellent, Thanks Ben and Mike. Looking forward to it! 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, red death said:

I'm a big fan of that particular griddle coach! I've spent a fair few happy hours in there with friends!

This is only the test body to prove the concept, the final print needs a couple of tweaks to the CAD, but I couldn’t resist giving it some colour and those orange curtains......mmmm, 70s.......

FAFEB762-D3A7-4149-8D73-AAE64EBFACCC.jpeg.8ffd215b5121eb54a87db94f5a7f88be.jpeg

Body & bogies all 3D printed on the Photon. 

Tom. 

• Like 10

Looking forward to the update, not expecting anything significant for transition era given the update was for DEMU, but always interested in what is going on generally, and I would be pleased to have updates on the Cemflo and 128 (order books opening possibly says he hopefully).

Roy

Hi Ben & Mike, 

Look forward to the update soon.

Now I think I heard a rumour from

our mutual friend in Ireland last week that there’s nothing yellow for Mick? 

I guess we will just have to tune in to find out lol!

cheers

Mark

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Great update again Ben & Mike! You guys are certainly leading the way in terms of customer interaction!

Some really nice updates and announcements there, will certainly be expressing interest on the N Gauge Class 89 & Caroline. Fingers crossed they make it over the line!!

Cheers, 

Tom. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1