Andrew’s shunting plank

Andrew1974

Hi All,

After a bit of a break (of about 7 years) I am again trying to do some proper modelling.  This has partly been spurred on by getting a space in the house to actually use without having to pack everything away into a cupboard at the end of each session.  I look in awe (jealousy?) at the space some of you have to model in, but suspect there are just as many, if not more, that make do with lots less.

My new space is what was at one time a corridor to the original front door of our house, now replaced with a window. Total space is roughly 4ft x 11ft (that’s not layout space that is total room size).  I’ve taken a few snaps to show what I’ve not got.

The first shows the view form the doorway which is in the middle of one of the long walls, the second to the right and the third to the left.  The right hand cupboard unit is for my wife’s craft supplies, the left for my stuff and I also have the bench at the end in front of the window.

I am working on being able to get permanent use of the top of these cupboards for a layout, I’m thinking Minories type terminus, but for now I’m building a small shunting plank  on the opposite wall, just to the left of my workbench as shown in the forth picture.

I’ll put a second post up shortly (once I’ve checked I’ve done the photos right on this one) that starts to explain the ‘layout’ ( which is probably a bit too grand of a description).

Thanks

Andrew

19A550F3-6B98-4E0D-8FF4-2F25617A360B.jpeg

4EB6624D-A142-40EB-83B7-3222F71433BC.jpeg

E36870AA-CFC1-4C69-B396-45F295D10203.jpeg

CBC45287-33CC-459C-AF0D-C0117E1287FB.jpeg

Edited by Andrew1974
  • Like 2

OK, first post seems to have worked.

So, the layout is a 4mm/ft, 16.5mm gauge ‘inglenook’ shunting layout.

Overall size is a length of 4’9”, with a width of 4 1/2” at one end an 9” at he other.  It’s fair to say there is not much room for scenery,

I’ve use Peco bullhead track, and I do like the look of it.

The stock I have is mostly late 50’s / early 60’s although I am making a few changes to some of it so as to narrow the timeframe somewhat.

I’ve not completed any wiring yet (you can just see in the picture above the crocodile clips used for testing) but as it will be a single loco in use it could be easily used for DCC or DC. Initially it will be DC, but I may go DCC at some point.

I am planning on fitting auto couplings, and I do like the look of the B&B variety, so I will be trying to get hold of a pack or two of those.  I’ve fitted an electromagnet ready...but again not wired yet.

I’m hoping to get this finished pretty quickly, so I can just have a play whilst working on future projects.

Thanks for reading.

Andrew

Edited by Andrew1974

Bird’s eye view of the layout which was temporarily relocated to the floor for the purpose of taking the photo.  The left hand siding has a 5 wagon capacity, the other two are 3 wagon capacity with the headshunt being 3 plus loco, all in typical inglenook fashion.  You will notice the right hand edge, which normally sits along the wall is not straight; that is because the wall, like most of my 17th century house has very few straight walls!39C95650-A890-4575-A31D-AB15EDBE823C.jpeg.e8aa8929c99dd04d31a63538113ce31c.jpeg

Edited by Andrew1974
  • Like 4

In terms of baseboard construction I’ve used a trackbed of 12mm ply (Over engineering but I had a spare piece big enough) and a frame of 56mm x 18mm ply (again because I had some to hand). The back scene and front fascia once I add one are from 5mm ply.

The picture below shows the view from underneath. 

also visible is the uncoupling magnet. Point control is to be added, I’ve cut slots for an operating wire. I was thinking of servo’s rather than solenoids as I am hoping they will be gentler (is that a word?) on the points.  I have not used servo’s before so some investigation required.

68759FF9-7692-44E5-BE1B-D4A5719CE81E.jpeg