Bregenbach im Schwarzwald - in the hills of the Black Forest

Les1952

Nothing actually done today, been to the dentist and then spent time looking for a new home for the Club.   However I have got a couple of pics I took on Monday.

765603459_viaductview.jpg.7a977dc24cf4f3c0a9217f057a8e8d77.jpg

Class 193 on train on viaduct - still trying for the perfect view upwards

1786569451_overtunnelview.jpg.3eeaa785a46d8ecc745514c2554ca150.jpg

Same train above the left tunnel mouth.  Wheelchair user's view upwards.

All for tonight.

Les

• Like 1

• Les1952 changed the title to Bregenbach, electric locos in the hills of the Black Forest

Some more ground applied

I bought a pack of Busch concrete paving on the e-Site, hoping for some self-adhesive stuff like the cobbles.  What appeared was laser-cut card shapes, rather like a downmarket version of the Medcalf paving slabs.  A little disappointing as I have most of a pack of Medcalf left over from NO PLACE and likely to be demolished with the clubroom in February if not rescued...

However, the pieces are cut accurately and will take acrylic paint and weather, so they've gone down as a first step to part of the remaining area.  I'll see if there is some Redutex I can use on the drop-in board.  There is some in the clubroom even if I haven't anything useful at home.

crossing.jpg.17497fdc5193ea8489ca66491c153d51.jpg

First bit to be done, the crossing where the path from the large house crosses the line through the valley.  Needs bedding in and weathering but a start...

1770558506_stationcrossing.jpg.b68d573e95f454252291ae942fa5b4ea.jpg

Next up the foot crossing between the platforms.   The logical place to put that was against the extenda-rail in the loop track.  I'll paint the latter concrete to match the new bit.  The bit this side of the main line hasn't been done as I've found out something I'd forgotten - there's no ballast between the track and the platform this side- a job for tomorrow perhaps.

20201030_194514.jpg.6af4a958a980ff29536333f7a982c960.jpg

Lastly the base for the odd industry at the viaduct end of the station site.  The rest of the area will be overgrown.  Coach body in its final resting place, more or less.  All I need to do with this is to make it into a proper grounded body and weather it.  I can't remember what it gave up its chassis to.  It will also be parked at a random angle as I've too much of this parallel stuff on this layout.

The slabs are lifting a bit- more glue and some weights tomorrow to sort the misfits, then I can start to paint and weather.  I've still not really decided what goes on in this small works, but there is plenty of random industrial clutter left over from the three previous N-gauge layouts to make a start.  Probably a small unit turning out humgrummits or similar.

Les

Edited by Les1952
tryping mistokes
  • Like 1

Some groundwork done yesterday, but today was spent getting Gresby safe from having its accommodation demolished around it.

1847221615_firstgroundwork.jpg.28286c335e8351a2ae22418a5b238e7b.jpg

Quite a bit of this came up with the vacuum cleaner this morning.  Second layer going down tomorrow...

Les

We now have a new clubroom, with the lease starting on 1st December.  Lockdown permitting we should have most stuff out of RAF Newton before Christmas, leaving all the grot we don't need to be finished off by the bulldozers.   Visiting the new venue and sorting things out, together with removing the club's entire stock of sale magazines to my railway shed, has left me with only a little time this week so far for modelling.  None tomorrow as the car has to go to Nottingham for some urgent safety work- two of the locking wheelnuts are knackered and the valve covers on those two wheels have welded themselves to the valves.  A lot of money going to be spent but it can't wait...

325365553_yardgrot.jpg.a9629fa88a6d698f19b2bd451bfc4ce3.jpg

The first part of the grotty ground cover in the humgrummit factory yard, with the first part of the concrete panel fence going into place.  The latter is a lasercut card kit from DM Toys.  the factory building isn't stuck down yet.

1390526265_concretefence.jpg.aaebb834dad48b771ebd1331c3fe1de8.jpg

The other side of the fence.

All for now.  More Saturday or Sunday.

Les

• Like 2

Totally knackered today.  Five hours to kill in locked-down Nottingham yesterday while the garage did the car.  Walked over ten miles by the time I'd walked from the garage at Bobbers Mill to the city centre and back and covered every street in the city centre.  Interesting that while the department stores seemed to be closed except for click and collect the Doc Marten shop seemed to be open....  Maybe it was just that you needed to go to a counter at the back for your click and collect.

This morning a pair of new locos arrived, another Taurus (Railadventure) and a DB Vectron.  I've got the Vectron sorted and into service but the Taurus is waiting for the glue on its new pantograph wipers to dry.

350972479_GrunVectron1.JPG.e3c72f4bd1e7fa8fe2bf314e5238d408.JPG

Slightly forward of the usual spot on the bridge.  Interestingly this one is the first that I've opened up to have a speaker built into the underside of its circuit board at one end.  The Next18 chip goes into the underside of the circuit board at the other end.

1787450096_Grunvectron2.JPG.ceba2f2df04f01112dc6d00d2431e511.JPG

Just for a change the other end.  I'm not sure but the pantograph arm may protrude FURTHER on this loco than on previous ones.  It seems to catch the overhead at places other locos don't.  That will be a pain as I'll have to start using thicker wire for the extra wipers.  DB 193309. 

While trying to work out if the pantograph does have a catching problem I ran a train with another Vectron to compare.  I found one spot where glue had dripped onto the contact wire but no other snags.  650829884_Einziganders2.JPG.287423c6383fbb38a565e1618f9677aa.JPG

193366 standing in the station with the double-deck rake. A little soft focus today as I used the old camera that I normally keep for eBay photos to take these rather than using the phone.

I have made a little more progress with fencing today, but nothing yet worth photographing.  I think i've worked out where the happy campers are going to be, but have mislaid the pack with them in.....

More to follow.

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 1

Not an altogether bad day.

687678031_railadventure1.jpg.115d7d35401b427144c83911ecdc8b90.jpg

The other new arrival from yesterday was the Railadventure Taurus.  The circuitboard doesn't have the speaker but is Next18 ready.  I tried the front without any coupling in the pocket but it looked wrong, so all locos set up to run one way only will get a dummy buckeye as this looks better.

1222960966_railadventure2.jpg.d7b461e4ccda75d3d9af56848e455ff0.jpg

The same train in the standard pose on the viaduct.

1688420619_KnorrBremse2.jpg.7f54f5756853398a022dcdb57d49ade7.jpg

One not photographed before is the railservices "Knorr Bremse" Taurus.  Note I'd taken out the Rapido coupling from the front but not fitted a buckeye.  It doesn't look as good.

2077100342_treeshalfway.jpg.dbba8805be0235fa213e7b44288be46c.jpg

More trees have gone in, but it is still hard to see where.  I counted how many there were and got 114, though I'm not sure if I missed any or counted any twice.  I think I'm somewhere over half way there, with most  of the remaining ones needing to go on the front slope- which in the first Railadventure pic above looks a little bare.

1750654480_concretefence.jpg.9655c8fbcebd7d0f55416e787c04e818.jpg

the concrete panel fence is now in place and needs its surrounding vegetation to hide the fact that it is badly made as well as just decrepit.  Next time I order from DMToys I'll get another pack, which should do the rest of the boundary for this area.  With this part of the boundary in place I can work on the area between the building and the fence.

I've found the trainspotters and the factory workers, but still can't find the pack of happy campers...

All for now

Les

• Like 4

No pics today

Happy campers found and planted, despite one preferring to stick to my fingers than the glued patch on the ground- superglue fumes go for skin at an incredible rate.

Eight more trees- that makes 122 or thereabouts....

Les

Friday the Thirteenth...

101248096_lightsnot.jpg.eb2455f37f8b4fa089f7ea2c1e2a17e9.jpg

Yes, those are Christmas lights....

A tube failure in the workshop has left one end quite dark.  Is there a replacement fluorescent tube to be had in Newark?  No, and nobody has any idea when they might be back in stock.  As a trial I connected up one half of the lighting rig for Croft Spa, and that gave a half-decent illumination.  Temporary solution, a string of Christmas lights- 1000 of them.  Collectively not at all bright.  Still, they'll have to do until fluorescent tubes are back in stock and I can get someone tall enough to change the tube over safely- I'm only just tall enough and it is a two person job.

628749397_happycampers.jpg.369e548af2d2685de5b7f3dbb5dc1bd9.jpg

On a more positive note the happy campers are in place, together with another dozen trees or thereabouts, not that it is possible to see much difference, though there are some appearing on the bank in front of the station.  

607061671_MWBTaurus.jpg.efd5614c2dad03028f06b6b4e6f536fe.jpg

Not so much a new Taurus as a reactivated one.  I bought this one for its chassis to re-chassis the red DB Taurus.  However I couldn't get a decent performance out of it as it kept cutting out so it was put aside for sale.  As one of the latest pair of Lenz chips was spare I decided to try it in this one- result it runs perfectly. The conclusion is that some Hobbytrain chassis don't like Zimo chips.  Another Rule 1 loco.

There is an OBB Taurus on its way from Portugal - the ninth Taurus- enough to run a full service with them just for daft.  This one is secondhand and already DCC fitted.

More trees tomorrow...........

Les

• Like 4

Some of the latest trees have manifested themselves on the bank at the front of the layout.  Still a lot to do here.  

1376925672_treesonbank1.jpg.9f87db1660de4ebe6bd91b651384ddc4.jpg

Friday 13th continued into Saturday 14th with niggling technical issues shortening the productive day.  However the OBB Taurus is now in service and some more container flats have arrived together with a pack of forest animals to hide among the trees while I can still reach the spots I want them...

1204896136_OBBTaurus.jpg.ff7e8419112ccf165e69e64508f4d044.jpg

The OBB Taurus before its pantograph has been sorted and the front coupling changed for a buckeye.

All for now.

Les

• Like 1

More trees done, though you would be hard put to work out where.

I've got a parcel apparently arriving tomorrow afternoon from DMToys with a lot of small industrial bits to add in around the brewery- pipe runs to the tanks will let me make up my mind where to site them.  There will be more of the concrete wall panels, though I'm not sure if I'll need a third pack.

Two container wagons arrived at the weekend, and there should be another one in the DMToys shipment tomorrow.  

563820855_newcontainerwagons.jpg.bc2e8ebf04e9ce347f63def737dcb3d2.jpg

I've sorted out some mechanical problems with the container wagon at the back of this rake.  It was light and had a bendy bogie side frame- so every time it hit a bump it jumped and a wheelset fell out.  Some carefully placed lead and judicious warm bending of the bogie frame seems to have sorted it enough for it to run at the back of the train with the dodgy bogie trailing.  I'll mark which it is and put a sticker underneath with an arrow pointing forwards.  I thought I'd finished with this malarky after the farish Sulphate wagons on hawthorn dene....

I've also been playing sillies with the camera trying to get a decent low level view of the viaduct.  two of the more successful shots-

238953699_railadventure5a.jpg.b525d79b28ee64aa0788c47c399880eb.jpg

railadventure3.jpg.96e1c85d2d48b730f7a51e6bd7550d83.jpg

All for now

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 3

A lot of bits done but nothing constructional to photograph - yet..

The latest toy has arrived- reflecting a favourite from Furtwangen Ost.

20201120_102947.jpg.b9b1cbb961dfd0f3c9de072879500c28.jpg

Yes- a Glaskastern.  I'm not sure yet what this will pull up the hill, but there is a pair of old four wheelers and a beer van to test it with.  At the moment it is still working its new lubrication into places needed so it is a bit iffy- the chip is also set to an incredible length of coasting, which I'm going to have to reduce to almost zero.

Just for a change, a couple of views of the business side.  I'm doing a bit of soak testing as none of the layouts is going anywhere for at least three months- Croft Spa's visit to Doncaster is cancelled so the next one MIGHT be South Notts at the end of March.

1069700030_fiddling1.jpg.f385b568e27ba261937a613b7a2c8354.jpg

1291193715_fiddling2.jpg.de1c42ec8b3160718ece5094ce26c387.jpg

Lastly a sneak preview of the new clubroom- a lot smaller than the previous one.  N gauge society members may recognise it as the AGM was held in this room.  I've also used it twice for South Notts Show.

261230765_baty2.JPG.3489b7da73531418c6ce22b0a8237882.JPG

The floor needs covering and there are some plush benches to be taken out, but the agreement has been agreed and we are hoping to start moving in about three weeks from now.  the pic was taken two days before lockdown....

Les

• Like 1

A lot of time today spent sorting out books and magazines from the clubroom to list a few on eBay.

However I did get on with the brewery yard, and did a little more in the widget factory area.

405489168_pipeworkstarted.jpg.e3a9036d92cc6e8435e6fb1db5b48d91.jpg

In the brewery yard the two tanks have been repainted, and the compressors stuck to the floor.  Pipe runs have begun, but I only ordered one pack of right-angle bends, so the remaining two pipes- into the tank and the ground somewhere to the right of the light brown building- will have to wait until I get another order off to DMToys.  That needs the PayPal to recover a little further.

There will also be pipes at higher level running between the three buildings along the backscene.

Cruel enlargement shows there is also filling and weathering to do along the building roofs and bases, and some more matt grot on the pipes themselves- they are a bit glossy at the moment.

1388570010_moreconcretewall.jpg.bdb0d283098bdf072524147906bad2ec.jpg

The concrete fence along the front of the widget factory has extended, but I think I'll need another two packs to finish.  Two more orders into DMToys for these.

I've also put a first coat of weathering on the grounded coach body and started to glue the wooden timber baulks to the underside.  Probably three more days of working at this with appropriate rests for glue and/or paint to dry,  At that point it may be fit to photograph.

I've found some posh-ish iron gates left over from Furtwangen Ost where the brewery fencing on the bottom level didn't need a road gate.  These will fit nicely at the road entrance to the brewery here.  

1687900061_fanthingy1.jpg.30bc25f0b4f9dba7fd59b7804fcfe26f.jpg

In the gap between the two brick brewery buildings will be this fan thingy- I'm not entirely sure how appropriate it is but it fills the space.  I just need to work out what colour to weather it before it gets stuck down- and to do any other bits that sit behind it.  I've added a short section of security fencing behind it and there will be pipes passing between the buildings.

There are a couple of roof-mounted aircon units left over from Furtwangen- removed from the bank roof to allow space for the sunbathers.  These might get added in somewhere if I find an appropriate bit of roof.

All for now. 

Les

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Still not a lot happening, apart from at the clubroom where the new floor is down over 2/3 of the area. The red benches at the other end can't be moved until the Welfare's handyman comes off furlough- and that needs us out of Tier 3.  However removals are allowed even under lockdown so we've been working in parties of one to get layouts ready.

Rise Park has now been collected by its new owner.

526940706_Coachandskips.jpg.d078f927090866ce539b20b3b2cd15cb.jpg

Coach and skips in place.  The skips were in a parcel from DMToys which also included more concrete fence (just one pack still to get) and an awful lot of aircon and similar, together with a Railnscale 3D printed beer lorry kit.

20201202_190603.jpg.dbc043ab3999a18067bb322d7a292ca3.jpg

All I've got to do is paint and build it.

All for now.

Les

• Like 1

More details and a new vid.

1510665241_yardmostlypiped.jpg.699f539071b5ccacdce6448ca4a7685d.jpg

The third pipe run in the yard is now installed.  just a little filling to do where the pipes enter the tanks.  I think I'll darken the compressors a little as well.  

Aircon units are starting to appear on walls and roofs in the brewery area.  I've yet to start the third run of concrete walling at the other end.

The latest video shows the Railadventure Taurus on a 6-unit container train, coming up the bank from Freiburg along the front of the layout, through Bregenbach halt passing a DB taurus on a special train then descending the bank towards Furtwangen.

The layout has Eastbound trains running West through the station, befitting the fictional location on the hillside.

More club work tomorrow.

Les 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not a lot done recently- moving the clubroom is a big business.  I've still got a load of stuff on the workshop floor but I can nearly see the dining table again and we can reach the ironing board in the conservatory...

20201213_144159.jpg.6fe28afae2aeb2529cd3b1ed37bf1b25.jpg

I've started laying the cable ducting for the signals.  I'm not quite sure of the location of the small station building yet, largely because I haven't started building it. It may be on the platform in front of where I've located the goods shed, with that resited to the removable board. The trunking will eventually converge on the station signal office.  Some stray concrete paint still to sort- probably by extending it over the extenda-track disguised as a crossing.

20201216_122754.jpg.b59277cdc0917ec63181585e1cf59925.jpg

Another new arrival, this time for the Bregtalbahn's own fleet, a Fleischmann Class 194 to go with the Arnold Class 193. As ex-DB locos they would have access rights over DB as far as the Bregtalbahn chooses to run in Germany.  As such they can be used alongside the Vectrons and Tauri, together with a selection of more modern retired DB locos.

At least that's my excuse.  It also allows me to run the E04 and E19....

Enough of this.

More when I get more done.  I've done a few more snippets of vid and have been playing with video editing software. 

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 3

20201225_135624.jpg.b6c391df4bcef7b10ce990980328888e.jpg

Looking along the layout today with Einziganders Vectron on a through intermodal from the Freiburg end towards Donaueschingen.  Note there are now two of the green container wagons with orange containers on the back.  The second one is a Christmas pressie from Mr Simon.

20201224_200250.jpg.6e8f930d3b926dd519caff5d8a3e25a9.jpg

The station building now under construction- the station really is a halt - haltpunkt.  However it will serve as somewhere to have the signal and point controls, and this is where the trunking will congregate.  The goods shed has now been relocated to the lift-off board.  What I now need to arrange is how the road offstage will be disguised behind the station building.  I feel a few more trees coming on...

Each of the brick panels on this is a separate insert to cut and glue.  Fortunately only a couple have proved bloody-minded.

Plenty to think about.

Les

Edited by Les1952
grammar
  • Like 2

The last few days have been spent taking the end panels off and painting inside the tunnels very dark grey (why do DIY superstores never seem to have testers of matt black?)

One bit of making-= the idea of putting a solar array on the bank in front of the station looked silly when I put the panels in place to try them, so plan B has been to put them on the roof of one of the brewery buildings.  Also shows the first pair of aircon units and a water tank that has appeared on top of the tallest building.

43106186_panelsandaircons.jpg.0075ee454daf8b774b7174e083df6839.jpg

A little out of focus but better than no pic- there will be better ones later no doubt.  The panels were designed to sit in landscape form on the frames.  With hindsight I might have put them the other way on the roof (portrait) but that would have needed an extra set of panels I don't have.  They do, however, set the scene as present day.

I've also been fitting passenger stock with Profi couplings.  I'm aiming for all freight locos to have a Rapido coupling on the back and a dummy buckeye on the front- each will be dedicated to clockwise or anticlockwise - number 1 end always faces clockwise.  All passenger locos will have a Profi-coupling at the train end and a dummy buckeye at the other.  The yard shunters and anything dedicated to trip working will have Dapol easi-shunt couplings on both ends, as will the beer vans used in the brewery.

I've also now discovered that if the double-deck stock has Profi-couplings throughout the train not only does the whole train couple up very close indeed but both double-deck trains will run right round the layout with the loco pushing.  Food for thought when puttting the sequence together.

All for now.  More concrete fence panels and some gates nearly ready for installing next, then trees..........

Les

Both ends of the layout now painted inside the tunnels and reassembled.

The station building now has all of its brick panels attached and the inner roof in place.  Only about 30 more pieces to add, though I might cop out with the chimney and see if there is a left-over Faller house chimney in the bits box.  This tiny chimney stack seems to be made of 14 separate pieces. pic in a day or so when I think to take a coin to compare the size.  Remember coins? We used them pre-Covid.

542348802_marodeadvancing.jpg.5e5434389eb8111ad2b09895507d8d3d.jpg

Meanwhile the concrete fencing is advancing.  pack number four all in place.  One unopened pack to do the bit behind the building here and then the ground can be cleared and vacuumed, everything stuck down and the encroaching vegetation can advance.   The gate just visible between the coach and the wall IS a UK-style farm gate, a brass etching left over from Croft Spa.  The brewery will have much more fancy gates left over from Furtwangen Ost.

I still haven't come to an inspired decision about what to do with the lift-out board.  plenty of time yet.

808103073_betterview.jpg.057c472e4a67848b52b72298e89313d5.jpg

A better view of the brewery building to show the solar panels and the air conditioners.  I'm not quite sure what the random pipework to the left of the building is but it makes a plain wall a little more interesting.  A piece of Tomix tram pavement has been dug out of the Furtwangen Ost leftovers box and added to the side of the cream building.  More work here to hide the end of the stuck-down roadway and the gap between the two buildings still needs to be addressed.  Moving to the right the fence needs bedding in at the bottom a lot better and a couple of gates adding, modelled open.  The tensioners for the overhead wires show up, but the ground signal at the works entrance is largely hidden- that little black blob at the far right.

The beauty of taking pics like this is that they show me where I need to do more work.  

Bed time.

Les

• Like 1

Not a huge amount done today- three hours out of the morning walking into town and back to get some stuff posted and look for a warmer hat (it is getting a bit cold for walking...) then I managed to spill some of the contents of the couplings box and decided to completely sort that- three more hours gone.

However i did get some more snippets of video taken and also got the roof on the station.  Just about a dozen of the 151 parts in the kit left to do. 151 doesn't include window glazing or interiors btw.  I have managed to find a suitable chimney stack that seems to have been knocked adrift from a Lyddle End building I no longer have - moral, never throw anything away...

508423278_station2.jpg.537f174c76dbe19ac6389afbc8633fba.jpg

ststion-1.jpg.cdb64d090dd37393198be38c2a9905f0.jpg 

The station building in its near complete form with the obligatory coin to show the size of the thing.  I should have looked out a Euro (or even a Deutschmark)  but didn't think of that at the time.  The horizontal grey along the edge of the roof is guttering, on the gables it shows where the remaining parts haven't yet been fitted.  Note that I've also got the first line of cable trunking extended to the right place.

What is also visible but not to the naked eye is that when I installed the trunking I got some glue on the running wire.  I couldn't see it but the first pantograph found it, stalling the loco.  Now removed, and no damage to the loco- an E10.3 with a diamond pantograph fortunately.

Les

• Like 2

Not a lot done to the layout- three new toys have arrived.  Two days basically getting trains to run, not wasted but nothing pictorial to show.

890168849_ballastwagons.jpg.4e02a98740b8599e31c77b9e1a7612ee.jpg

A pair of Fleischmann ballast wagons from the rails secondhand store.  I'll mix a little more pink and black to reduce the apparent particle size and run them with empty ballast hoppers.

144-5.jpg.888179a56d38e9aacce7971449e23ba4.jpg

A Liliput 144.5, bought new.  Apart from sorting out three pickup wipers that weren't touching wheel backs on curves it doesn't seem to like Fleischmann points, having the same problems some locos have with Kato small radius points- it splits the point if asked to take the point off a bend.  I've finally got it performing clockwise thround the layout with number 2 end leading- all other locos run with number 1 end leading when running clockwise.  Its pantographs have needed extra wipers but if they catch anything on the overhead they deform.  I'll look at replacing them when I find a suitable donor.  It has taken about a day and a half of work to get it this far.  It might have been quicker to get an old Roco one and hard wire a decoder into it...

1247367492_Geizendanner3.jpg.eec8142d95a9f473386869759b46f118.jpg

Lastly an articulated pocket wagon by Fleischmann, new from Gaugemaster.  Running-in behind a diesel to get the formations sorted out without any potential problems with the overhead.  This pair also took a bit of work. The yellow pieces under the containers are stretchers to cover the wagon's pockets.  They clip firmly into the wagon sides but the containers fall off them while moving.  The solution has been to superglue the containers to the stretchers.  That way the containers can be removed but then only used on another pocket wagon.  The other two Geizendanner container wagons won't stay on the track running between this one and the loco, yet are happy to do so behind it.  Making up exhibition rakes is proving time consuming.  Just as well the first show is five months away.

Tomorrow- trees unless some Modelmaster transfers I ordered before Christmas actually show up.  If they do I'll be upgrading some of Rise Park's wagons for sale or use on Croft Spa.

Enough for now.

Les

Edited by Les1952
grammar
  • Like 3

Another frustrating day- just got set to take both cars out for a 10 mile drive (not actually stopping anywhere on route) to make sure the batteries are OK for when we DO need them and- the little one won't start.  Flat battery- only used 2 days ago and did about eight miles then....  It is under warranty and has been back to the dealer three times, each time coming back "no fault found" (shades of Bachmann), this is despite a test result from elsewhere that says that two cells are corroded to the point where they won't hold charge. Guess which car was on the outside.

Borrow a charger from a neighbour and look to see who is open during the lockdown with a heavy duty battery in stock.  Much of day's modelling lost again!  Tomorrow it goes off to Halfords first thing for a new heavy duty battery, warranty or not.

On the plus side I've done a tree audit and ordered another 25 assorted trees, mostly from Osborn's.  With the ground cover bits I have and about a dozen tree kits left to assemble that should be enough to finish the plantation - just shy of 200 in total.  Then I can start bringing the layout to life- poplulation and animals etc.

20210102_145505.jpg.c0202119bd996864fef1a94be14ecd45.jpg

I've not posted this view before- a still from the video gained by pressing the wrong button when recording. It does show some of the odd shapes where embankment has sagged between the formers, which is the main area that needs trees to hide the silly contours.  It does give a nice perspective on how the bank between the front line and the station gets steeper as it gets closer to the tunnel.  Quite a bit to do between the incline and the board edge in the way of scenics.  One or two of the smaller trees will end up on this section.  the shadow at the end of the tall brewery building is a function of the brightest light in the workshop being at the far end.

Enough of this nonsense.

Les

• Like 1

NEWSFLASH

Bregenbach has been accepted for the N gauge Society Worldwide Group's one day show and AGM in Potters Bar on July 31st, Covid permitting of course.

That makes two shows confirmed so far....

Les

• Like 1

A little more progress

1956039467_Viewblockertrees.jpg.2a526b3f687ed6b79300714b9d53e130.jpg

The rather uneven bank behind the top of the incline before the bridge is the next to be addressed, with view blocker trees going in.  Four Woodland Scenics pines from kits- pic shows I need to hide a couple of bare plastic brances.  Also some odd bits of green from the diminishing foliage box.  More to do both along here and along the edge between the incline and the front of the board.

hanjin.jpg.c9f36af727d54b853d288653d648edb3.jpg

The latest rolling stock additions are another pair of Fleischmann container wagons.  This one a Hanjin which needs me to put the box in the right place.  Cruel enlargement picks up a couple of places where scenic edges need filling properly or hiding, in front of the mast and along the edge of the ballast.  Another item on the to do list...

The workshop might have warmed up by now. Modelling time...

Les

• Like 2

More and more trees....

1215884375_firsbesidetheline.jpg.a202c09fc843324f5e77a6102e34ce02.jpg

A start on the small firs and other vegetation between the track and the board edge.  This might be a young Christmas tree plantation, to be removed if they get too big.  I'll infill with bracken, hedging and long grass.

1480434200_moretreesagain.jpg.689e4af21cd65370b5665b64a3d597d7.jpg

Also some more on the bank.  The box of trees arrived from Osborn's and I had ordered them too big.  Some have gone into the box to take to the club for use on Burch Green while I've been shortening pines and removing deciduous branches from others to make bushes.  This will mostly stop for a few days as I've run out of Gorilla Glue, though there is plenty of PVA and Loctite.   Morrison's sell it so it can wait until next Wednesday for the weekly shop.

256890929_schenkerflat.jpg.723039cb80024b52b7fe30acbc3cef34.jpg

The other new container flat.  One tank wagon still to arrive then I'll re-cast the trains in the fiddle yard and see if I need (as opposed to fancy) any more wagons.  There are already far too many coaches and I'm going to thin out the overstock of E10s over the next few weeks.

All for now.  Tomorrow a fine brush, PVA and scatter to finish the grassy clumps between the rails to make this Fleischmann track look a little more like the real Hollentalbahn.

Les

• Like 1