Bregenbach im Schwarzwald - in the hills of the Black Forest

Les1952

Paint Your Wagon

OK, so it isn't original...

The RailNScale beer wagon is now painted and assembled- just a little touching up where the brown wood has spilled onto the red canvas, and where I missed a little bit round the cab.

1108453029_paintyourwagon.jpg.50a4d467b3b30a0eaeb01ab22e65badb.jpg

The bits as supplied, all painted.  I decided to follow the livery of a beer truck I found on Google Images, red with yellow boards for the wagon part and a matt red tarpaulin.  Assembling it should have been easy except I pushed the cab into place slightly too hard and broke off one of the front wheels- fortunately the one on the far side but the plastic axle it sits on is less than 1mm thick- filing and UHU have put the wheel back, though slightly inboard of where it should be.  When I stick the lorry into place I'll put a workman in front of the offending wheel to hide it....

1801705597_PAINTYOURWAGON2.jpg.7a8c0121a499bc8a2edb7928b24661e9.jpg

Apart from the enlargement showing up the bits I missed or where I got the wrong colour on it also shows that the metallic  paint on the grille is too thick and the wagon doesn't hide the unfinished bit under the loading platform.  I'll also see if I can get a little more onto the steering wheel- not easy as it is printed as part of the cab.

So- ABRACADABRA (or something)

1304705137_PAINTYOURWAGON3.jpg.48e18796a2156e4bde509b24d9f22b49.jpg

A little grey paint and ballast and the bit under the bay is cured.  Just needs a going over with the vacuum cleaner in the morning, which is when I'll touch in the paint.  I'm not sure I glued the grill in place so I may substitute one of the others if it will prise out without causing damage.

Apart from that a Fleischmann BR140 for spares/repair has arrived, been found to have a dead motor, and has donated a wheelset without traction tyres to my other Fleischmann 140, which having only two traction tyres rather than 4 no longer stutters.  It beats me why a Bo-Bo electric stuffed with mass actually needs FOUR traction tyres to start with.  After losing two it still took 18 beer wagons up the 1 in 25 hill.  The "spares one" has two good pantographs and 4 good buffers as replacements.  Worth more in parts I won't have to buy new than I paid for it.

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 1

The wagon is now touched up, though it has acquired a new section below the grille as the original didn't survive the grille being taken off.  Pics were out of focus- try again for the next post.  I've got some wire mesh fencing left over to go behind it across the back of the buildings.  that should help make the area look more finished.

1937390339_hidingwithtrees2.jpg.4edc2b74ca0e409b5f02841d182ddae8.jpg

Showing the effect of the extra trees in front of the viaduct.  I need one more decent sixed one on the slope to the left.  Any more will block too much of the view of trains on the viaduct.

1889822437_instation.jpg.87631654e76b6c757bcd42561093b666.jpg

Less than perfect focusing of Einziganders Vectron standing in the station.  More foliage needed here below the level of the wall but anything higher will block too much of the view of the train.

1542862324_grassingthetrack.jpg.d251fe2705106b329b5350fc21bd2151.jpg

A little work with a small brush, PVA and scatter has added a little more random grassy stuff to the track on the bank.  A cab ride video of the Hollentalbahn shows that in places that line is quite overgrown.  I'm trying for that effect in random places.  I might have to use Static grass.  It is at least making the make of the track much less obvious....

All for now

Les

Edited by Les1952
typos...
  • Like 1

Trees, trees and more trees.

The total is well over 200 now.  I found a bag of Chinese deciduous trees which were vastly too small for use.  By cutting most of the length of the turnk I've added them in as bushes, mixed in with branches from some deciduous trees I bought that were far too big.  These are getting added into the mix along the front of the incline at the front, together with the vastly undersized conifers. 

The confiers are being replaced with the deciduous trees that donated their lower branches to the bush project, with the bottom third cut off the trunk.  Some of these are now at the end behind the brewery-

1141460317_deciduousbrewery.jpg.fef320bcde8b8ac4473c0c861260ea09.jpg

This one shows I still need to work on where the pipes go into the tanks and run the vacuum over the loading dock.

181876493_camperstrees.jpg.0ccecdafe12ca313b34996a18c59b578.jpg

Extra trees now in place in front of the campers, but not too many.

Now a look round the back where I've got the fiddle yard filled as follows - tracks 1 to 5 numbered from back to front.

Track 1 two bi-directional passenger trains of double-deck stock.  104, 110, 110.3, 111, 140 or 143 as power

Track 2 Eastbound (towards Donaueschingen)  Through oil train with Taurus  plus beer train with 144, 144.5, 139 or diesel

Track 3 Westbound (towards Freiburg) Empty mineral wagons with 150, 193 or 194, plus oil train with Taurus

Track 4  Eastbound  Through intermodal with Vectron or multi-voltage Taurus, plus ballast with 144, 144.5, 104 or diesel

Track 5  Westbound through intermodal with Vectron or multi-voltage Taurus plus beer with 144, 139 or 142.

1436158716_roundthebackb.jpg.df15b14c7cfda9c071a7d652c14a0815.jpg

1992228876_roundthebacka.jpg.1de11b212501f24231c65c9344451477.jpg

On the bank (off the track) will be one of the Werkloks plus some beer wagons to shunt the brewery and a steam special.  There is JUST enough space on the bottom level to store three spare electric locos.

Next thing on this front is to run the sequence to see if it is workable as a one-operator sequence (including the signals which are all currently switched out).  If I can make it work I'll try to develop an operator timetable for Mr Simon to ignore......

More anon

Les

Edited by Les1952
restored the pics
  • Like 2

The latest toy

1969895817_climatehero.jpg.2d555dba2cb1eda8e76de6acf0cee441.jpg

Another Vectron by Hobbytrain, third in the "I'm a" series of DB liveries.  I've set this one up to run anticlockwise as there is only one other Vectron set up to run this way, the remainder run clockwise, largely because I didn't count them as i did them.  It will run the Eastbound container train turn and turn about with the "Einziganders" Vectron or a multivoltage Taurus.

There is a deal more foliage between the track and the layout front now, but much still to do along here.

1541858304_upwardslook.jpg.d7cebc627de9c1cd8c6d5280b8a19de6.jpg

It occurred to me that Ineeded to get a good look from wheelchair height.  Yes, that is a class 218 hiding in the station.  I don't think there will be any more big trees on the bank.  Saves me buying any more.  I've plenty of bushes and shrubs to add, and then I can do wildlife.

I've had a suggestion for a way to grab the lift-out section- a mobile phone mast.  If secured well enough it will do the same job as the flagpole on Croft Spa.  Research here tomorrow.

crab.jpg.29a95a835b747de3f63250de1bf17b43.jpg

The upgraded Crab Mr Simon did (see his workbench for details) has now come back from LP Rails after DCC Fitting by Lee.  Test running.  I've not tried its haulage power but it will take the corners tender-first.  Now Rise Park has gone it needed chipping to run on Croft Spa.  The chip is in the cab roof.

All for now.  More tree pics in the queue for processing....

Les

Edited by Les1952
restored the pics
  • Like 1

• Les1952 changed the title to Bregenbach im Schwarzwald, electric locos in the hills of the Black Forest
  • 2 weeks later...

Not a lot going on at the moment- I've been working on wagons from Rise Park, some for Croft Spa and some for sale.

20210209_115717.jpg.fc40ab50c39604e0214d415a2b747865.jpg

This arrived from DAPR, a pair of mobile phone masts- the idea being to use one as a view blocker at the board join .  Two problems- the first being that it is devoid of instructions in the pack- found on the web.  More of an issue is that the mast isn't big enough.  Plan B is to reinstate the tree.

The lift-out piece will be lifted out with a flagpole, same as on Croft Spa just to be original- I couldn't think of anything that would work better.  The flag is a problem.  Baden is a bit nationalistic, so it would be the State flag rather than the National flag.  

Now, do I fly the correct state flag-

400222058_b-wurttflag.jpg.5ab28a23940d38ec5b7d709f7394603e.jpg

This one being Baden-Wurttemburg, or do I fly the nationalistic flag, this being Baden. 

1537239280_badenflag.jpg.077359f894e4da493628d8b715b82c11.jpg

Not as easy a decision as with Croft Spa, where the Cricket Club's flag just happens to be the flag of County Durham- apart from winding up Peter Crichton at Manchester by flying the EU flag..  I'll probably print out both and see which looks better at the size I need.

The lettering for the layout nameboard has been ordered and should arrive tomorrow.  I've decided to go with "Bregenbach im Schwarzwald" on the board at the back.

All for now

Les

Edited by Les1952
restored the pics

Not a lot visible happening.

The lettering "Bregenbach im Schwarzwald" in gold Gothic script has arrived and I've cut a board to size to take them.  This is now going through a cycle of paint-sand-repeat until I'm happy with it.

The lights for the new lighting rig have also arrived.  The transformer hasn't so I can't set them up and work out what structure to put them on just yet.

20210209_200157.jpg.5b7ec65a5b853806e20426ed4ad3e7d4.jpg

The first of the two mobile phone masts is complete and ready to be painted.  It isn't big enough to hide the join in the backscene so I'll revert to a tree.  It will have to sit near the back away from the catenary and possibly on a small plinth if I can find something suitable- it needs to be above the level of the 15kV wires.

All for now.   Jab day tomorrow.....

Les

Edited by Les1952
restored the pic

• 3 weeks later...

I've finally started on the lift-out section.

20210301_093131.jpg.b7e3bc210f6ba43c5ad5913b23666cf0.jpg

The bare lift-out board with flagpole to grab it by.

20210301_093256.jpg.754e91c79b0869041bad25c50fb68b1a.jpg

The two additions already decided on - the goods shed and the tree that hides the backscene join.

20210301_102537.jpg.386137b3c5d4f0ee3fc957082e492ff5.jpg

First stage of ground cover- the last of the grey roadway and some leftover grass matting from NO PLACE.  I'll give it a couple of days to settle and then do something to make the front edge of the matting look like the edge of long grass.

Meanwhile work on NO PLACE continues as a change, and I'm still upgrading Rise Park's surplus wagons for Croft Spa or eBay.

Les

Edited by Les1952
restored pics
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The connection between my phone and the PC is dying- I've got a new lead on order but I think it might be the socket that is worn out.  In any case there are pics trapped on the phone...

Those show the effect of looking at the board from different angles- it became very obvious that the fir tree didn't hide the join in the backscene.

Taken with the old camera which is normally confined to eBay duties.

565124297_boarddone.JPG.58f24054bdaf5c457de098342fb11953.JPG

Fir tree replaced by deciduous and the edges of the grass sheet made to look more like grass with some Peco static strip.  Trial fit of the nameboard to make sure it fitted before the final coat of gloss paint and the addition of the lettering.

Having done the final coat and given it 48 hours to dry I took the board inside and applied the lettering- using the dining room table as a) cleaner than the workshop and b) a lot less cluttered.

Naturally some of the gothic lettering came apart when being applied, but with a lot of careful fiddling all but one letter is complete and only one is about a millimetre to the left of where it should be- if anyone looks at it long enough in a show to spot the errors then they're not paying attention to the trains.

314196171_namefromleft.JPG.6b3ac300add1ed47773ca094e35cae99.JPG

From the Freiburg end of the layout.

2111763658_namefromright.JPG.7dbfc0f65c2785f4edc6fe7c259d0645.JPG

From the Donaueschingen end of the layout.

The board slots over the top of the backscene the same way as on Hawthorn Dene and Croft Spa.  Not a lot to do now to finish the basics- the area between the goods shed and the factory needs thinking about and doing, and nothing is yet stuck down in the widget yard surrounded by the concrete fence.   

Maybe about a weeks work on these, then it is on to populating the layout to bring it to life.  Constructionally the Freiburg end still needs painting black and the lighting gantry has yet to be built, although the parts for it are in the shed.

Plenty to do.

Les

Edited by Les1952
pics restored
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

The last small section of the layout to have its ground done has now been started.

A little fuzzy but the sub-structure for the small rise under the phone mast is started- one more smaller piece of balsa then I think I might use some spare static grass sheet.  The tree just visible at the left will be on another small grassy bit to give the impression of a road going off at an angle behind the brewery, probably with a wagon to hide the fact it ends abruptly at the backscene.

20210323_125016.jpg.f406ddc8823cec5250e7c6e118ef8b77.jpg

The VW van will be kept in the box of plant-on bits with the sub-board containing the goods shed and the three detachable catenary lengths. It can then be strategically placed over the gap in the roadway at the board join.

First animal to be planted is the rabbit.

20210323_132546.jpg.acdac4561e4ddf2b1a3761e9f5a8cb5c.jpg

One for the punters to locate on the inevitable "Can you find" sheet.

Now to look for somewhere suitable for the deer- there isn't really a lot of space for them.

All for now.

Les

Edited by Les1952
pics restored
  • Like 2

On 10/02/2021 at 20:41, Les1952 said:

The flag is a problem.  Baden is a bit nationalistic, so it would be the State flag rather than the National flag.  

Now, do I fly the correct state flag-

5091649_b-wurttflag.jpg.27ce0600fae2ed3ac34e453d687509c6.jpg

This one being Baden-Wurttemburg, or do I fly the nationalistic flag, this being Baden. 

509412119_badenflag.jpg.e7dd812e5938c95b9496161cae950a9a.jpg

Not as easy a decision as with Croft Spa, where the Cricket Club's flag just happens to be the flag of County Durham- apart from winding up Peter Crichton at Manchester by flying the EU flag..  I'll probably print out both and see which looks better at the size I need.

The lettering for the layout nameboard has been ordered and should arrive tomorrow.  I've decided to go with "Bregenbach im Schwarzwald" on the board at the back.

All for now

Les

Might be a bit late with this, but is there not a way to include both?

14 hours ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

Might be a bit late with this, but is there not a way to include both?

Possibly, though I've no evidence of two flags flying from one flagpole in Germany.  The flagpole on Croft Spa is used to lift the drop-in section out at the end of a show/session in the same way and has survived so far.  I'm not sure if having two flags on the pole might be vulnerable to damage when used for the purpose I put the flagpole there for.

I'll give it some more thought.  No hurry- the first outing is either July 31st or September 4th.

All the very best

Les

• Like 1

Another arrival this morning is the skip lorry to hide the road exit at the top - or at least disguise the fact it doesn't go anywhere.  last time I used this trick was with a bus on Furtwangen Ost which was appearing from behind the bank.

1531103099_scaniaasbought.jpg.01fcb989d0753451652e9b7726a616e2.jpg

Ordered on eBay it was only when it arrived I discovered it is by Osborn's Models, one of their Archlaser series.  A really beautiful thing it is to UK N-scale and is a little on the big side.  The bright yellow skip isn't really suitable to be carried off, so I've swapped it for one of the loaded DM Toys ones and dirtied the back of the lorry a bit.  Now planted in the roadway all I need is a little more vegetation to interrupt the one sight line past it.  

1481264340_scaniaplanted.jpg.f0aa87e3d8897af2636e7e305682794f.jpg

Just off the picture to the right the mobile phone mast is also now planted.  The yellow skip is being weathered and will then be planted in the widget yard.

Progress is slow (partly because I'm also doing sound and couplings on NO PLACE at the moment) but steady.  It looks like the first outing will be July 31st to Potters Bar.

All for now

Les

Edited by Les1952
afterthought
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've ordered a pair of end boards for transporting the layout- 

I built a pair of 2 foot by 2 foot boards and tailored them to the ends they were to fit.  the layout fits into them beautifully BUT if I add carrying handles to them I will have the same problem I have with Croft Spa, and before that Hawthorn Dene.  The layout sits on its end on the handle and wobbles, meaning it has to sit on a pair of runners.

Grainge and Hodder do boards to fit their modules that have the carrying handle integral and flush with the surface.  I haven't yet bought any handles for the end pieces ao will save there- the board I built the old end pieces from were cast-offs from the clubroom abandoned when we changed location and can be recycled elsewhere in time.

The curtain for the layout is almost done, fitting and velcro attachment is tomorrow.  

I've taken the stock off as when the new end boards arrive I'll take Bregenbach down, clean the floor (the clutter under the layout has mostly sold and the rest can return to the club), then erect NO PLACE for a couple of weeks to sort out the running and fit a Tardis with flashing light on the layout somewhere- that needs access to the back.

Meanwhile I've stuck all of the buidings and associated bits down and the deer are in residence over the left hand tunnel.

Shops have reopened and I've at last got a new phone- the old one was dying fast and it was a struggle to keep it going until I could buy its replacement in person.  I'm learning its camera and there should be a couple of new detail pics shortly.

More anon

Les

Edited by Les1952
removed lost pic
  • Like 4

More detailing done.

2147132146_groundedcoach1.jpg.7b1fefe8c15c3cf6abd010f718f6c7a3.jpg

Firstly the positions of everything so far in the widget factory yard have been determined and they have been glued down.  The VW van on the left is left unstuck as that is positioned to hide the board join at the gateway.

644697572_loadingvan.jpg.c65a497d033770b81e8024c9a77f7d1c.jpg

First go at populating where the delivery wagon stands.  One bloke examining the wonky wheel I broke making it while two other deal with small barrels.

stag1.jpg.45e752d18555802b97b86c391711d151.jpg

One of the stags hiding in the woods above the left-hand end tunnel.

Quite a lot to do but a lot of things happening over the next few days, starting with a walk to the eye clinic in about an hour's time.

Les

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Tempfix

Hi Les,

Chanced upon this excellent thread while looking for something completely different and read the whole thing. Not at all my scale, era or country but love it - particularly the way you've blended the track in with the loose ballast and used the trees to dictate lines of sight to give greater depth.

Looking forward to more, would love to see it if we ever get back to exhibitions.

Rich

• 2 months later...
On 24/05/2021 at 22:15, Rich Papper said:

Hi Les,

Chanced upon this excellent thread while looking for something completely different and read the whole thing. Not at all my scale, era or country but love it - particularly the way you've blended the track in with the loose ballast and used the trees to dictate lines of sight to give greater depth.

Looking forward to more, would love to see it if we ever get back to exhibitions.

Rich

I don't know if you can make Potters Bar (Wylnott Theatre opposite the station) this Saturday 31st July or Cotgrave Welfare Nottinghamshire on 4th or 5th September but the layout will be in action on both these days.

Very many thanks for the kind comments, particularly about trying to hide the fact that it uses Fleischmann Setrack.

All the very best

Les

The lighting rig has reached the Beta version.

1299702453_lights1.jpg.74fb03bb616a3119f6ac4a10941ac30c.jpg

Looking out from the operator side.   Seven feet of wooden square section goes in the car with the front still behind the access to the driver's seat, so that is the fixed length I had to play with.  mark 1 has two uprights, one at each end of the layout with a length of angle attached to each.  The angle has an M6 bolt through arranged so these are 3 inches in from the wooden bar, which has 6.5mm holes drilled through to slot over the bolts at each end.

The lights are commercial 12 volt LED strips, four in all, attached to the bar.  The power feed plugs into one end and will be removed for transport to avoid some of the mashed plug issues I have had with other layouts.

2057275153_lights2.jpg.3caa4c2e191e72351406cd461259fec2.jpg

Looking from the layout front.  The lights are on the back of the wooden bar and shine upwards as much as downwards.  With the shed lights off the front two inches of the layout are still in the dark.  Re-think time.

Mark II involved turning the angle iron at each end through a right angle so that the M6 bolts (extreme top left in the picture above) stick out to the rear of the angle rather than upwards.  This then turns the LED strip to be underneath the bar.  The bar is secured to the angles with M6 wing nuts.  There is still a lttle sag but it works.

lights-3.jpg.72f1dd53464e782ff9b53da177168dfd.jpg

Mark II version shown above.  As I've now run out of spare modelling days before the layout's first show the lights will go in this state- as Mark II Beta version. The layout is otherwise complete but with a few extra areas to bring to life.  

Anyone in the London area this Saturday (July 31st) please come along to Wylott's Theatre Potters bar between 10.30am and 4.30pm.  The show is entirely N gauge and Overseas prototypes but is cheap to get into.

After the weekend I'll strengthen the joints between the uprights and the angles to stop them sagging and find an appropriate fascia to hide the bare wood of the bar.

I look forwards to seeing a few there.

Les

• Like 2

Having just measured the track a train leaving the fiddle yard travels approximately 30 feet before it returns to the other end of the fiddle yard.  Not at all bad for an 7 ft 11 ins by 2 foot layout.

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Round of applause 1

20210727_144015.jpg.0a45c7cf6c79e70c41fdc509561f3c7c.jpg

All crated up nicely and easily (except there's always one wingnut that doesn't want to thread onto the bolt) and now packed in the car ready to start off at Silly o'Clock for Potters Bar.  There's an awful lot of space in front of the layout in the car- amazing what difference the boards each being a foot shorter makes to the packing arrangement.

Now to get an early night- long day ahead.

Les

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Lighting rig altered

having discovered that it works the next phase has been to make it respectable.

White plastic L-section glued to the front of the wooden beam and to the angle section, then a small piece of white plasticard to cover the end of the gap.

lights2-2.jpg.9780148092ecb3214261b988aa2ef8a7.jpg

View along

lights2-3.jpg.add2c3c0da3e2aebf00a93c7131ec4d9.jpg

enlargement of corner

lights2-4.jpg.d014ceb2ca90310f620043e237e3e3e1.jpg

From the operator's side

lights2-5.jpg.7690bf81034e6d2980fedc5e1397e176.jpg

With the lights off showing the construction.

I've also now painted inside both ends dark grey to hide the glaring whiteness that could be seen when the layout is viewed from its end.  Definitely needed as at Cotgrave next week punters climb steps to where we are from behind the right side of the layout, and Tony Wright's loco clinic is going to be on the left side (looking outwards).

I've been adjusting the track by putting a little more superelevation on the sharpest corners and the BR646 railcar will now traverse the whole layout.  I suspect the BR23 would now also but it has been sold on.  Never mind.

Trains are sorted and in the box for Cotgrave- the only change to the line up is that the beer train has gone, replaced by a 2-coach rake of Silberlingen.  I'm not yet sure what the motive power for these will be.  I'll see if the BR78 can cope with the train up the gradient- they did work push-pull sets in the Black forest, though on the flatter bits further North.

Enough for now.

Les

Edited by Les1952
typos as usual
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

SOUTH NOTTS MODEL RAILWAY SHOW

2057640036_2021show.jpg.898d6b888b32f861604678e4ade6f938.jpg

View from behind the layout- we were up on the balcony.

20210904_100511.jpg.ad9495f7e9dd62339fb3fb52e3dda8d0.jpg

the layout set up with Geoff Warren in blue and Gary Tabener in green as main operators- I was "Mr Fix It" for the weekend- as newly retired show manager I was thought to be the only one who knew what needed doing and how to do it or who to ask..

In the background can just be seen Tony Wright  on the stand next door.

Colin Head of Merg was on the stand just behind Tony and he brought round his little video truck. It does show one or two places where unfinished bits need a bit of work, but over all the layout survives.  The bumping is die to the camera being on a long wheelbase 4-wheel truck being propelled by a loco- I think there are only two with couplings on the front......

The other news- we won the Favourite Layout trophy as voted on by the paying public.  No pic on the layout as it was presented with 2 mins to go before the show closed.  I'll try to get a pic of it on my bookcase.

No repairs to do, just one loco to reprogram.  I can leave the layout boxed up and put the N gauge test oval on the top to get Croft Spa's locos ready for Farnham's show in Oct.  This one goes out in 2 weeks to Coalville and there isn't room to erect Croft Spa until after that.

Les

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...