Bregenbach im Schwarzwald - in the hills of the Black Forest

Les1952

SIGNALS DONE

panel_two.jpg.4b86d8c071ac77b5b9d9d61a56f37ca8.jpg

I wired up the panel on the workbench, leaving a goodly length of white wire for each signal aspect.  Then I discovered two things about the home with distant.

1.  the home can display an amber aspect with the green, indicating pass at low speed (the same as the ones at the other end)- this meant adding another switch.

2.  The prototype of the distant can not only display two ambers (next signal at red), and two greens (next signal at green) but one of each- which is "fahrt mit Geschwindigkeitsbegrenzung enwarten", which is beyond my technical German.  I ignored this aspect and grouped the lamps to show in pairs only.

signal_droppers.jpg.85b665ba954cc6332fcc206d3528e04b.jpg

The eight leads coming down from the signal - the one on the left (green to two wires via a diode) is the common return, one wire to each signal head.  Note the three each of green and amber- which are identical- a little amount of playing was needed to sort out which is which - the paired ones are the distant signal.  

536359492_signalstwo-a.jpg.665bc9c98d4d9606fd9cdf71906153a3.jpg

One possible set of aspects for these.  The loop shows red while the main shows green and the distant also shows green- the pair.  The yellow andf black wasp stripes are the back of the ground signal for the factory.

293904545_groundsignal.jpg.fa9494c0fb2426613d274331c547f6b7.jpg

The ground signal showing red.  The white aspects are at 45 degrees.

Next job is to finish the overhead in the valley and get the tunnel mouth installed.   More later.

Arrivals are a pair of Tauruses (Tauri?)  In 2008 when Austria was hosting the European Cup the OBB painted (or more likely vinyled) a Taurus in a special livery for each of the participating teams, plus one for the competition.

The two I have are both analogue only- they will become frankenmonsters in due course as I get hold of DCC chassis for them and sell the older chassis with newer bodies.

There is an Einstein Taurus also due- the Bregentalbahn has obviously been hiring in some unusual motive power recently.

Les

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Les1952 said:

"fahrt mit Geschwindigkeitsbegrenzung enwarten"

It’s beyond my technical German too, but within my Swiss Signalling knowledge which is has similarities to German speed Signalling of that vintage.

Two yellows: stop at next Signal; yellow plus green: pass next Signal at reduced speed (i.e next Signal is green over yellow); two greens: pass next Signal at full speed (i.e. next Signal is green).

Paul.

• Like 1

Very many thanks, gents.  The signal still won't show those aspects as it requires another switch or two to make it happen - and I can't imagine that many punters even noticing it let alone asking what it means.

If the experience on Furtwangen Ost is anything to go by I can remember only one punter in 16 shows asking what the signal was in the station (a distant).

Only one update tonight- the overhead has marched under the girder bridge and reached the tunnel mouth at the front.  There is a video of the 141 on test but I've not got round to putting it on YouTube yet.  Link later if I actually remember to load it...

1478861933_marchingon.jpg.b9469252bdbf8046d4ec39ff1b09e719.jpg

The zig-zag path missed the masts....

Les

As threatened, the 14 second video of the first train under the wires with the pantograph touching.  pantograph does run clear at one point as the class 141 has less travel than some of the other locos.

The 141 has since gone out of service as its chip has given up - an internal short means it is on full quasi- DC and the programming track just says it is a short.  Replacement chip on the way from Digitrains.  Given the 1 in 25 gradient the 141 won't be in charge of three coaches in service...

Meanwhile the Einstein Taurus has arrived, photos later.

Les

As promised, pictures of the Einstein Taurus.  Not yet given a spin round the layout as the track has been covered with firstly plaster splatters, then paint splatters, then static grass escapements.

20200711_141857.jpg.99376b805156703f9e63f52c2e552c9b.jpg20200711_141913.jpg.62bf26f7b331683936773060252d384b.jpg

In the same way as most newer special liveries it is different on the two sides.

Slightly more of a concern is that the replacement chip (a Zimo direct fit) arrived this morning, went into the BR141, programmed satisfactorily then failed to get the motor to spin.  The oversized chip I tried in got the thing to move so I think I just need a higher current (ie Fleischmann original) chip, which are manufactured for them by Zimo.  It can wait for the next order to Modellbahn Union, who have them in stock.

Les

Edited by Les1952
forgot to say which loco.....
  • Like 2

A couple of details

advance_catenery.jpg.f44fe32c7d23c973855c0d6ee165e154.jpg

Wires under the girder bridge, showing that a lot of rusty paint is needed together with ballast, but also showing the rocks by the bridge pier- if you need smallish rocks in N-gauge what better to use than actual stone?  These are perhaps a little on the light side, so this type of stone will remain confined to this area.  I've found an area where the field path has had ex-demolition hardcore dropped onto it to fill in muddy potholes.  There are small slate and marble pieces at the surface to be foraged....

ant-_fall-off.jpg.06f5ece52e20123a17702bebac82e0f0.jpg

A precaution after a coach ended up on the floor.  It had become detached from a train and remained out of sight until I bumped the layout.  Both ends now have  plastic angle added.  Eventually the ends will be screened but there is a lot of work to do first.

All for tonight.  The grassy bank along the front is done, pics in the next post or two...

Les

The rest of the long embankment

1113616014_subbasealong.jpg.08bc5c81d25c99730aa4b39255ebba8f.jpg

I'm running out of suitable bits of sprue to use as a frame, but any undulations in the final plaster can always be disguised with bits of rock and trees.  Balsa at the end for when the boards are separated.

496536332_longplaster.jpg.57f378d93f8fec8a393eea74f3ed9973.jpg

More glaciation.  I thought that as the rocks in the Hollental just to the South are very dark I'd try a couple of bits of charcoal to make sticking-out rock faces.  They are a little too black and a bit flaky so I'll seal them with matt varnish laced with a tiny amount of grey-brown paint to get them more of a slate colour.  They do have the advantage of being lighter than the surrounding plaster.

1498091374_longgroundwork.jpg.82a83bbe18eaf05720d7fc8bfc46e4fb.jpg

Base green on.  As all of this lot will be under the static grass I'm not all that bothered about it being too dark a shade of green.  Area in front of the track also painted, and lots of plaster drips to get rid of when I ballast and weather the rails.

751888031_startingfrontpanel.jpg.4a8a2b4a1df9a3710fab6d4610a9410d.jpg

At the other end I've started the panels for the fascia.  I'll do these in A4 length pieces largely as each one is different at the top to the ones either side of it.  The next one along will be the hardest to cut.

Static grassing next, then a long spasm of ballasting and rail painting to make Fleischmann track look completely unlike Fleischmann track (if possible).

Les

• Like 2

I've just discovered the Einstein Taurus is actually a SLOVENIAN prototype, though licensed for use in Germany and Austria but not Switzerland.  That means theoretically it could work through Bregenbach but there isn't really a convincing route that would get it there.

Definitely a rule 1 loco.....

Looking it up on't interweb it was built in 2009 and gained the livery in 2015.  Most of the pics of it are at Llubjana, but there are two shots of it at Villach on passenger trains.  Villach is at least in the right country -   no it isn't...

Les

Edited by Les1952
extra info

On 11/07/2020 at 23:16, Les1952 said:

As promised, pictures of the Einstein Taurus.  Not yet given a spin round the layout as the track has been covered with firstly plaster splatters, then paint splatters, then static grass escapements.

20200711_141857.jpg.99376b805156703f9e63f52c2e552c9b.jpg20200711_141913.jpg.62bf26f7b331683936773060252d384b.jpg

In the same way as most newer special liveries it is different on the two sides.

Slightly more of a concern is that the replacement chip (a Zimo direct fit) arrived this morning, went into the BR141, programmed satisfactorily then failed to get the motor to spin.  The oversized chip I tried in got the thing to move so I think I just need a higher current (ie Fleischmann original) chip, which are manufactured for them by Zimo.  It can wait for the next order to Modellbahn Union, who have them in stock.

Les

Excellent layout.

As you say this is a SZ Slovenian Railways prototype (541016). The class do (or did) have passenger work to Villach, but I'm not sure how much further they operate into Austria. They also operate into Croatia on freight.

Most of their work is on freight traffic from the port of Koper, so you could have it on a long container / intermodal train.

As you say "Rule 1" applies here.

Stay safe,

Neil

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Neils WRX said:

Excellent layout.

As you say this is a SZ Slovenian Railways prototype (541016). The class do (or did) have passenger work to Villach, but I'm not sure how much further they operate into Austria. They also operate into Croatia on freight.

Most of their work is on freight traffic from the port of Koper, so you could have it on a long container / intermodal train.

As you say "Rule 1" applies here.

Stay safe,

Neil

My excuse- if it takes my fancy and looks good I'll have one.  Same excuse for the two Euro 2008 Tauri that I have waiting newer chassis.

Very many thanks for the compliment - hopefully it WILL be good when it is finished, or at the very least good enough to get bookings.

Les

Edited by Les1952
typos, what else?

A LOT OF PLAIN? GREEN

Comment from the household authorities "It looks very plain green"

Not quite what I thought as I was scattering it- it is quite a lot darker at the factory end with burnt grass and more Autumn grass in the mixture, and more spring as it progresses towards the bridges.  It does look very plain and green as there isn't any embellishmant to it yet.

1287970500_grassyfront.jpg.dc20b144a23edede0419255fc75d173c.jpg

The overview- the vacuum cleaner decided (again) that it wanted charging so the surplus grass is still lying around.

1855238807_grassyfactorybank.jpg.9157328080538a2a019a799f90e68ea7.jpg

The factory end.  the tunnel mouth will probably be at the next vertical stripe to the left of the large stone.  the grass is definitely darker here, and the bits of charcoal and the larger rock face (a foraged piece of path hardcore) break the grass up.  Still an awful lot of plaster droppings to colour over, rail sides to paint then ballast before the overhead wires can go in on this section.

Tunnel mouth leaning against backscene so I can't lose it again (or is that again again...?)

844407996_grassylighter.jpg.6a8592a712ee47d7e3534ebe4501c02c.jpg

I've gone over the top of the bank behind the viaduct with a more springtime-like mixture, to get a better transition to the backscene, even though much of the backscene here will be behind trees.

More trees going in around the hole where the trains start the out-of-sight climb.  I have acquired and found a wider variety of tree armatures, and some slightly lighter Woodland scenics tree foliage. Hopefully the forest will grow more realistic as it is filled forwards.

All for tonight.

More painting of rail sides and ballasting tomorrow- deep joy.  Also a Taurus to collect from the Sorting Office.

Les

• Like 1

On 10/07/2020 at 19:24, Alister_G said:

It means proceed at the expected speed limit.

Al.

Hallo,

'Fahrt mit Geschwindigkeitsbegrenzung erwarten' refers to what the next signal will show, so expect that the next one will display a speed limit.

es grüßt 

pc

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Padishar Creel said:

Hallo,

'Fahrt mit Geschwindigkeitsbegrenzung erwarten' refers to what the next signal will show, so expect that the next one will display a speed limit.

es grüßt 

pc

many thanks for the explanations.

With eight wires to the signal and given the next signal in either direction is offscene I decided that I could live without an amber plus green display...

All the best

les

With the vacuum cleaner charged up and its filters empties this is the amount of unstuck static grass that came up.

1287813691_grassleftovers.jpg.ae5d7ccd9e3d2de13446252aee8a2849.jpg

A little sifting to remove foreign bodies and there is enough for another layout....

Meanwhile the first Taurus for donor chassis has arrived- this one from Spain.  

1716285815_PKPTaurus1.jpg.ada82e9c124c6d5ca61f860138472321.jpg

A secondhand PKP Intercity Taurus, minus a buffer, and with a chip it doesn't really like- I've swapped the chip for a Zimo but it isn't all that happy with that one either.  It is fine on analogue with the chip replaced with a blanking plate.  I've ordered a pair of Lenz Silver minis- if it doesn't like that it will be fitted with a Hobbytrain blanking plate and sold as analogue only.

It is unsuitable for keeping as it is as it is a 3KV DC only loco.

Meanwhile the rail painting and ballasting continues....

Les

Following discussions on the N-gauge Forum I've realised that the Taurus in the last post should actually have 4 pantographs, being a tri-voltage machine licensed to work in Poland, Germany, Czech Republic and Austria.  That has decided its fate- the chassis will go underneath the 2008 OBB Deuschland taurus and the body into the spares box to provide a pair of spare pamtographs.

the good news is that I found a random chip in the 6-pin chips box and tried that in it.  It now performs faultlessly.  The chip it arrived with went into my Class 25, returned from a repair at LP rails of Leicester, and that is also performing perfectly.

883787962_halfpaintedbridge.jpg.5a6225563da34fe6193e9e3c4a50a75f.jpg

While painting the rail sides I thought it was an appropriate time to do the girder bridge.  This is the first side.  I decided to let it dry to see the colour before doing the other.  I'm happy with the result so the other side will get done on the next railside painting bash.

1432638078_secondPolishTaurus.jpg.7c36eae0215c45819fe6021b959b789c.jpg

The second Taurus to arrive for chassis donation is this one.  It behaves a lot better than the first one.  Note this one has four pantographs, correctly.  To swap bodies between a pre-2010 and post-2010 Taurus both need to be gutted internally and all the internal fittings swapped over.  The 2010 onwards NEM651 chassis is longer at the top than the older one.  This one is next onto the bench to give its chassis to the OBB Grechenland Taurus.

All for now

Les

• Like 1

2010522419_breweryballastrails.jpg.c0a0548d223c7c4b0d366f294d077335.jpg

Still painting rail sides.  the brewery yard is now done, and I can get on with the scenics immediately in front of the backscene before sticking the back row of buildings down and finishing that part of the surface of the yard.  I'm not 100% certain where the tanks will end up, and they will need time on the bench to make them more appropriate.  Both big buildings have roof name boards, one of which will be fitted.  As I'm not far from sticking down the back one I'd better make up my mind as to the name of the brewery.  "Furtwangener Bier" springs to mind, to give some continuity with the earlier layout.

111105548_GriechenTaurus.jpg.1c0af87243ce634e238a6bae8be7917d.jpg

First of the two Taurus conversions is this one, using the internal body parts from the second PKP one.  I haven't managed to get the PKP one back together in such a way as to make it saleable, so may yet end up selling two 2008 vintage chassis on eBay to get some money back.  Using the old body for spares will at least give me six spare single-arm pantographs (or seven if you include a Minitrix Taurus body found several years ago in a dealer scrap box at a show and kept for spares...

Just to prove it works, and that I can't type on YouTube either......... :)

All for now.

Les

Edited by Les1952
typos...

STILL BALLASTING

However, while glue sets and the vacuum cleaner recharges I'm also getting small bits done by the lineside and working on the loco fleet.

1986562440_rockformation.jpg.aaf5bbf21ef055cf4186e8401b812b33.jpg

Cruel enlargement of the rock formation just behind the track as it comes out of the tunnel to climb the incline along the front.  The tunnel mouth is just off the picture to the left.  The black bits of rock are charcoal and the big one on the left a piece I foraged.  2mm Static grass looks good and clumpy in N gauge.

209770832_GermanyTaurus1.jpg.147b9696cc2248c51b4ecf95b65a6d5b.jpg

The OBB Euro 2008 Deutschland Taurus body is now sitting on its new DCC chassis.  I didn't realise that on a taurus the triangular piece in front of the cab window is actually a mirror, which opens out from the body side at the driver's end when the loco comes to a standstill and closes again when it starts moving.  Saves him sticking his head out of the window.....

354875549_GermanyTaurus2.jpg.c0f38734568c0f9730e1bca3dba5c700.jpg

Like all good vinyl liveries it is different on the other side of the loco- makes it more interesting on Bregenbach as both sides of the loco will be seen as it makes its way round the layout...

Package this morning from Germany- not opened yet as it is club day and I didn't get much shed time - after none at all yesterday due to a day out at Clumber park just for a change of scenery.  the package should contain a Class 143 in Rhein-Ruhr livery.  Some of these were cascaded to Freiburg after replacement on Rhein Ruhr services.  They were put into service on the Hollental and other services without being repainted, which makes a white and orange 143 ideal for Bregenbach.

Time for bed, said Zebedee....

665109823_brownbridge.jpg.de0980d22139e2b93855a8b5216e423c.jpg

The brown bridge, rusty finish done the same way as the masts on Hawthorn Dene's flight, matt black and matt rust applied as a fairly random mixture.  the rail sides have been done with the same mixture.

387388083_backfromLee.jpg.d6e12376ad0b792638e54b5b3c084110.jpg

I bought this little beast on eBay a few years back for use on Hawthorn Dene.  It is DCC fitted but was only picking up from one wheelset on one side, but all three on the other.  Like a ham fisted idiot I dismantled it to sort out the pickups then couldn't get it back together again.  As a result it hasn't run on HD.  Now back from reassembly and service by LP Rails (Lee Palmer) of Leicester, who has taken over from BR Lines the job of servicing Farish locos.  having given it a good run round the layout it failed to have any problems with any of the pointwork, so will get Easi-Shunt couplings to become Werklok 4 of the Brewery Company (apparently on hire from Cobra...)

143-01.jpg.e24d9d30ea3bffa1233bb3ac670af3aa.jpg

The Fleischmann 143 has arrived.  Fitted with one of the pair of Lenz chips I ordered from Digitrains which arrived in the same post it is a smooth and impressive runner.  it appeared to have the manufacturer's original Sellotape holding the box lid on, so I think it is new, though the lubricant had thoroughly dried out...

143-02.jpg.6fdf9fafcac20c9ae97a6b0115e6f510.jpg

Same loco on the line between the bridges.  Cruel enlargement shows I need to do something about the edge of the cork underlay, which is still showing.  There also seems to be an unpainted rail side to touch up, but overall the track is looking a lot less like Fleischmann.

Just to prove this one works as well.  the attempt at getting a vid of the Deutschlander Taurus didn't work but I'll have another try at some stage.  Just a slight hesitation on a bit of track that wasn't cleaned too well after the rail sides were painted.

All for tonight.

Les

• Like 1

UNDER AND OVER

STILL ballasting, but far enough on at the top to get the next bash done at the catenary - the section from the station over the viaduct.

959682461_throughthehole.jpg.34ef9630d78fed969ad48ea4ff7ee2e4.jpg

First, by sticking the phone upside down into a silly position, a look through the hole at the botttom of the hidden incline.

The foot of the mast needs more disguising and a little bit of weathering applying to the mast itself, but overall it survives a cruel close-up fairly well.

611513158_underandover.jpg.1e097db50dd5f6784d66829cc1e48e86.jpg

Under and over- the effect of adding catenary on the top of the viaduct.  Again still a bit of work to do to hide the deficiencies in the viaduct itself, but trees are best planted AFTER all the bits behind them are done.

First successful test run under the upper deck wires so far with a loco- slower speed than they will actually run but the diamond pantograph on the Hobbytrain 110 copes quite well, unlike the Taurus pantographs which are narrower and slide off to the side.  I suspect that the modern types (Taurus, Traxx and Vectrons) will have to run with pantographs down and if anyone notices the given reason will be fragility.  The 143 copes OK provided it runs with the pantograph elbow forwards, ie with the wrong one raised.  That is unlikely to be noticed.

Less good news is that the replacement chip for the 141 arrived and the loco is dead.  Applying DC direct to the motor doesn't give a spark, so I suspect the motor has collapsed inside causing the short.  That leaves me with two good Fleischmann chips and wanting a replacement 141.

More on the station catenary later.

Goodnight England and the Colonies.  Sleep calls...

Les

• Like 2

Another day ballasting- the viaduct is now done apart from a bit of patching on the front edge to hide gaps- I can get some more trees into this area now.

My purchase from Access models today is another seventy pine tree armatures- hopefully I'll be able to find enough foliage to go with them.

57357313_viaductwithwires1.jpg.b1b5b9e5cf31e289ca4a2b7ee9ff930c.jpg

Apart from the ballasting I've been testing and adjusting the wires- not helped by the point at the bridge end of the loop deciding it didn't want to pass power to the blade- putting out of action my best test loco.  It has taken much of the day in tweaking then suddenly decided to play again. and yes there is a mast leaning to the right in the picture, now adjusted.

Under the right arch too much bright green backscene, including a join.  More trees needed behind the viaduct here before I do the ones in front...

All of the Tauri have narrower pantographs and slide sideways off the wire.  No cure for this yet in sight.  The Brawa 142 also has the ends of its pantograph contact strips bent quite sharply down and these slip off the wire.  I'm tweaking these to get the contact strip to the same profile as the Hobbytrain and Fleischmann locos which will give a wider contact area.  I might play with the spare Taurus body and see if I can swap the wider end pantographs for the narrower Austrian ones.  Thatmight enable the loco to run under the wires without coming off the side.

355921655_boardjoin.jpg.27641a8f8fa393af5e6258caaa9841c5.jpg

The wires across the board join.  The spacing between the tower masts is OK at the far end, and there is a sight line for the drivers to the signals.  At the near posts I'm going to have to install a longer cross span to put the masts behind the station platform.  I've gone for long wires across the board join to give enough flexibility to unfasten them when the layout is dismantled and refasten them when the layout is erected for a show.

I now have a deadline for getting to a stage where I can pack the layout up temporarily.  The advert for Hawthorn Dene's sale has gone off to the N Gauge Society and will be published in the next journal in the second or third week of September.  I've put a price of £900 on the layout with a Powercab and Cabo6 throttle but no PSU for the signal, or £750 without electrics, in both cases delivered (mainland UK only).  If anyone knows of someone who might be interested please let them know....

I will need Bregenbach packed up to make space to check over Hawthorn Dene.

All for now.  Maybe another video next time.

Les

Edited by Les1952
forgotten tree comment

STILL BALLASTING

.. and installing and testing wires

335756587_Werklok4andvans.jpg.259251b8568e8604d30b6dde9f8eca1c.jpg

Werklok 4 has now got its Easi-Shunt couplings and testing has started to get those wagons with them to uncouple where they ought- and stay coupled otherwise...

933116418_regioandfoliage.jpg.a04cf95e7df3ee1947362f5ca8fac820.jpg

Trying to get the look of the track on the Hollentalbahn with some vegetation appearing between the rails.  The Regio railcar on test.  Again a video to follow (eventually)

1947333953_ballastingfront.jpg.2b33fcdcb035c49b90a55073c40a6dc0.jpg

The ballast is proceeding up the hill- the track now looks less like Fleischmann sectional than it did. Plenty of edging and vegetation to do, along with some features to think about and add.  Most of this will happen once the masts have gone in along the front.

Second test of the E10 over the viaduct, this time a little faster.

More to follow.

Les

Ballasting nearly done

At least the ballast between the rails.  just needs a final vacuum and scrape to see what has been missed, then sorting along the edges at the front and the long march of wiring can go in.  No point in waiting for the extra masts to arrive.

overjoin.jpg.8a2af3ad3cadb4c5a3fde75b8c1ac1ce.jpg

This gives a decent view of why I want a pair of masts with a wider span.  The two nearest are too close together for the platform to be built between them.  I've done a dummy run and with a little shortening of the hook parts at the ends of the wires (pic to explain later sometime) I can add and remove the wires over the joins quite easily.  The final version will be fixed down when the longer span arrrives and then this end can be extended to where the line disppears through the backscene.

909204113_moretreesagain.jpg.f85de288084b8744f318a316f93342f9.jpg

The view under the viaduct, again taken with the phone camera at a silly angle, but showing I've managed to hide the horizontal join in the backscene with a couple of extra trees.  It also (just) shows that a tree placed behind the backscene helps distract the eye from the hole a little.  Still more trees to add here.

Finally, the start of a journey round the line with the Class 193 on a beer train.  In the second instalment compare the number of vans- it appeared at the top of the incline pushing a van it had dropped on the previous lap....  the view also shows a couple of the random foraged stones placed to make rocky outcrops that look like rocky outcrops.

All for now.

Les

Edited by Les1952