Bregenbach im Schwarzwald - in the hills of the Black Forest

Les1952

I've been to Chesterfield taking the car in for its warranty service so no workshop time at all today.  However, the second clip of the 193 going round under the wires.  All being well I'll be able to get the wires along the front finished during the rest of this week.

All for now

Les

Round the bend and down the hill

1453964017_waitingforpath.jpg.65de52144500bbad2aa0f5b62c5560ed.jpg

You might wonder what the Class 193 is doing standing at the signal.  The obvious answer is waiting for it to go green...  Could it be waiting for testing to finish on the next bit of catenary?

1417284067_wiresoverbridge.jpg.69270ed9aeb1f2f8562a01b8b9cc8a6c.jpg

We now have wires across the bridge....

868824647_anddownthelonghill.jpg.ae25fd0870683f16518ccd430e721175.jpg

... and all the way down the long slope.  Not yet tested but there nevertheless.  This pic also shows the temporary run-in on the upper level while I wait for the longer span to arrive from Germany.

Stop press is that it arrived in this morning's post, so once this section is tested to my satisfaction I can get on with finishing the top and locos will be able to run all the way round with pans touching wires in the visible section (apart from Tauri, Vectrons and Traxx that is- their pantographs are too fragile.)

Other news- I picked up a copy of Today's Railways Europe this morning and there, lo and behold, was a picture of Holzroller E42 01 (142001) working on the Schwartzwaldbahn in June 2020.  Now the Bregtalbahn meets the Schwartzwaldbahn at Donaueschingen, so a prototype for everything.  

446021125_viaductholzroller.jpg.76ab2bd83edbe8163d8ccf3967115c35.jpg

The pic form a few posts ago of my class 142.  If the class leader can work in the area so can mine.....

All for now.

Les

• Like 2

As threatened, the video of the trusty Class 110.1 test loco climbing the incline (front pantograph up as it had just run down with the correct rear one raised) then stalling on some dirty track just by the viaduct.

Now a few more pics.

244727399_wirespastrocks.jpg.1d9477d0636c6b793cfd2cfcb7550624.jpg

What a difference the wires make at the bottom of the incline.  This view won't be possible when the fascia board is made as there will be a bit of a cutting here.

1531801666_overthebridge.jpg.bc31ca987ed4b19cac0686d86b98d26b.jpg

Wires over and under the bridge, taken from a slightly different angle.

1120531221_newtunnelmouth.jpg.5f722798f6765c53cf5bbeb39fe5c497.jpg

The fascia board going in with support for the higher ground level being glued in place.  Note the fascia board now obscures the view in the first pic.

1591004548_freiburgerwagon.jpg.f68ac1fc22f3ed0264a923dafa77d2c6.jpg

Last for today, a new wagon, a Bauer limited edition repaint of a Roco wagon.  A must-have because of the local connection even if I'm not sure if there is an actual prototype for  it - and as it is a rule 1 wagon I'm not that concerned if there isn't.  It is pretty and local.

This morning I got the last part of the overhead done, but the workshop got top be too hot to test and photograph.  Pics to follow, though it might be too hot to work in there ar all tomorrow.

All for now.

Les

• Like 1

CATENARY DONE

As promised pics of the last area of the overhead wires now in place

379200337_lastbigmasts.jpg.a95e814f06e3646946f8a94fd5b879ed.jpg

The brewery end of the station.  I've ended up using a pair of Somerfeldt wires between the masts at this end, the Hobbex long wires were too long and their short wires were too short.  I'm not impressed as they bow upwards randomly, and some of the pantographs catch at every place where a dropper meets the wire- so there is a lot of sanding and fettling to be done to them- and these are the ones described by dealers as the "dog's testicles", or something not entirely different.  They don't look that much finer, either.   Note that one mast hasn't done a lot for the driver's sight line of the ground signal, but the main signals both preserve their sight lines.

1986695336_wirespastbrewery.jpg.69e5a2c976f48670c7f67036e413b886.jpg

There was enough straight to get a long wire in going down the hill. The tunnel mouth is in its second position, and has since moved slightly closer to the wall as stock is catching.

997392334_cornerandsubbase.jpg.03cbc16dbbddc74e73e5b6965b1a3c69.jpg

Fortunately the sharpest part of the curve will have view blockers.  Expensive heavy duty sub-base going in here.  The wall painted a mixture of engineering brick blue and matt black will look enough like the inside of a tunnel once the rest of the lid goes on.  there won't be much of a view into it.

WOEFUL TALE OF TWO "NEW" LOCOS

two additions to the fleet have been and gone.

1.  An Arnold BR141 in oceanblue and beige.  Beautiful condition, but it's "DCC" was Arnold Digital and not DCC compliant, so back it went.

2.  A Fleischmann BR111, also in Turquoise and Beige.  This one brand new and analogue for DCC fitting by me,  Taken out of its box, placed on the analogue test track, and off it went, forwards, backwards, forwards, backwards (all deliberate) then slow, slow, smell, thick smoke.  Better PCB failure than any Dapol I've had.....  Now packed up and going back for a refund.

I've ordered the station buildings from Osborn's using the refund money from the BR141.  

All for tonight.

Video of the first train right round under the wires to follow some time.

Les

Edited by Les1952
typos as usual
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

PAUSE FOR THOUGHT

After yesterday's sweltering temperatures curtailed shed time today was the turn of being roped in to clear the junk under the car port- and a trip to the tip.  Still, I got rid of the mortal remains of the old computer and one or two other bits.

So- looking both ways along the layout as it stands at the moment.  

20200730_130313.jpg.3aa7de3fc2875003e0bf365dae1c212f.jpg

Looking towards the viaduct and Furtwangen, though trains depart over the viaduct towards Freiburg.

20200730_130325.jpg.593ef26049d0fc3bd8089776309756e9.jpg

Looking towards the brewery and station and Westwards towards Freiburg, though trains leaving that way turn through 180 degrees and pass under the viaduct to go to Furtwangen and Donaueschingen. Confused?  So you should be.

The video shows a freight train from Donaueschingen passing under the viaduct, then passing through Bregenbach station, over the viaduct and then down the bank towards Freiburg.

All for now.  Next bit is still the platforms, together with the false backscene beyond the viaduct and the ground above the two tunnels.

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 2

A wheelchair user's view.

I like to look at what different people can see from different levels.  This is the view of the layout from my workbench at about head height for a wheelchair user.  A lot to be finished, but someone at this height will get a clear view of trains coming up the bank if seated at this end.  Further along views open up through the bridge that aren't available to people who have eyes further above the ground.  The layout might be an inch lower when on its own trestles.

wheelchair_user_1.jpg.6e769107ed7bf5508097b6ecc1ec76d2.jpg

It will look much better with the fascia boards and a lick of paint....  The latter a lower priority, the former depends on the state of my wrists on any given day.

Les

• Like 1

Looking further along from wheelchair height

20200801_140946.jpg.ddcd266abf1d6dccdd16a86cff2245f4.jpg

A tantalising glimpse of the cutting and the best angle to view trains on the viaduct, with the exit through the backscene nicely hidden.

Test running today, but the platforms are now made and ready to install, though the nearer one sits in the air and needs a wall behind it.  Said wall can wait until the two buildings for the station have arrived and been built, however.

The section of Somerfeldt wire over the entrance to the loop has needed over half an hour of filing at every dropper before a fairly forgiving pantograph would run under it without twanging.  I think I've only applied the file so far to three droppers in total on the Hobbex wires, even though they are coarser and much cheaper.  More excpensive doesn't seem to mean better...

All for now.

Les

• Like 1

WHEELCHAIR VIEW-3

Useful, these sets of views along the line.  They give me something to post if there isn't a lot happening.  Another hot day in the workshop, and an awful lot of time spent fettling the catenary and trying to decide why two of the 110/140 types seem to ground at one particular place while the remaining identical bodies on identical chassis don't.  There may be a slight thinning out at some time in the future.  I have a red class 140 that is surplus, and the three Arnold centre-entrance coaches are proving they don't like radius 1 curves on a 1 in 25 slope.  That being the case they can generate funds for their replacements.

1653666300_wheelchair3.jpg.28c571b6bce9ee43ad794e215252b591.jpg

A wheelchair user is at a height to look under the girder bridge and see trains approaching under the viaduct.  When two operators are both working at once it should be possible to arrange for a pair of trains to cross over each other, which will definitely be better viewed from this height.  The layout is a lot tidier with its fascia boards along here, even though they are yet to be painted- two other jobs coming up- finish installing them along the front and paint the outside of the layout black, though maybe not until I've finished spilling stuff along the front edge.

1079679460_tunnelmoutha.jpg.21d9598969002a081b714c116862d7c2.jpg

At the other end the tunnel mouth has finally reached its position, having been moved four times due to trains hitting it,.  I can get on with the rest of the stones above it and the foliage around it to make it look as if it belongs there rather than just being something I've planted to hide an ugly bend and sub-base.  The dark blue brick lining inside does at least give the black hole effect, helped by the nine inch length of the tunnel itself, a potential nightmare for track cleaning on a layout that is not going to be easy.

THE SECOND BACKSCENE HOLE DONE

896867568_secondescape.jpg.6c930e30af4d69fe8f2f7b94477a9bce.jpg

Another picture of the Black Forest printed and stuck onto thick balsa wood with the trackside grassed and a little change to the backscene beside the hole and it now looks more as if trains are disappearing into the distance rather than going through a hole and turning sharply to avoid bashing the back of the Power Cab.  It also loses the effect seen earlier that trains were seen to turn sharp right just beyond the hole.  Now they aren't as well illuminated.  One or two more trees to help a bit with obscuring the view, and something interesting happening to take the eye elsewhere.  All that amateur theatre is proving useful again.

118401623_backofbeyond.jpg.2ae9e8e375b3b770ba44d9fb03190306.jpg

the view from the wings, i.e. the bit the punter won't normally see.  Raised end to the catenary to lead the pantograph down to the right height as the train enters, not as easy to see from out front if the loco is correctly running with the rear one raised.  The sharpness of the bend (192mm radius) is much more apparent here.

The other two entrances will be more difficult as the false backscenes are curved and will need to be stuck onto expanded polystryene.  I'm still thinking about how that will work in practice.

All for now.

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 1

I didn't get to eye clinic today- they rang up and cancelled the appointment at ten to nine, just before I was about to set off to walk to hospital.  So I went to Railway Club instead.

The platforms are in place- only two coaches long but this is really a halt rather than a station serving a hinterland.  

20200802_120946.jpg.5da4aa886d402d550ae89ae7dd1c8733.jpg

The nearer one is overhanging the edge but will be fettled when a wall is added- it will have to wait for the two small buildings I've got on order from Osborn's to arrive and get fixed in place.  The height is determined by some platform walling from DM Toys and is the right height for a German platform.  The discontinuity is where the Noch surface didn't sit down properly, preferring to stick to my fingers rather than the platform it was supposed to stick to.  It will be hidden by something laid on top.  I'll also touch in the small gap on the far platform.  Length was determined by the signals at one end and the board join at the other. 

Shopping tomorrow so maybe not much railway time.  One shall see.

Les

I do envy those who can see right angles as right angles and who have brains that recognise straight lines.  With mild dyspraxia and a right wrist that locks up from time to time I'm never going to scratchbuild some of those things of beauty.  However, I try to make something that ends up as a piece of theatre, and that means what the audience can't see isn't really there....

So lets start with the bodge along the front where I used inclines where a constant height riser plus an incline would have been more appropriate.  Now gone...

1273462102_fasciafurther-1.jpg.66065fc7e21a551a34c938282355fcb4.jpg

Not as pretty as if someone competent had made the entire front out of one sheet of ply, but a distinct improvement.  Painted black and with the guides for slot-in perspex sheets and a layout cloth it will end up smart, even if getting there has been a bit of a bodge.

Also done, some firs to block the view into the hole at the brewery end.

278640420_firstfirs.jpg.7831eea84043cf7a4cfa4a7d7516f2c5.jpg

As supplied the firs were too pale and definitely too bog-brush in origin.  I've made them a bit better by spraying them with photo mount and rolling them in a mixture of dark green flocks. Once that had dried I sprayed the bottom and rolled it in earth coloured scenic scatter to make the dead section.  With hindsight they should have had deeper dead sections, but there are still a few more to add on the right and the viewer's side.  Those will have deeper dead sections.  I'll add some flock podwer to the foliage for the next batch of Woodland Scenics pines.

The station buildings still haven't arrived from Osborn's, though some new coaches and secondhand beer wagons did appear today.  I can't get on with the middle section yet.  the station buildings also determine what else goes in this space.  Once these are built and sited I have a couple of oddities that I can stick in the leftover space to help decide the size of any other structures I need up there.  Then I can browse model stores online and eBay to see what is the right size and looks right.

With no station to get on with the rest of the day's modelling has been improving a couple of clearances and fettling catenary and pantographs.  A lot still to do in the pantograph department before I'm happy.

Les

Edited by Les1952
typos as usual
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Les1952 said:

I do envy those who can see right angles as right angles and who have brains that recognise straight lines.

I can do ‘level’ by sight pretty well too. 

But . . . 

It comes with the disadvantage that I can only do straight lines: artistic flair is completely absent so scenery and back scenes are a pain!

We all have to major on the advantages and put up with the disadvantages, whatever they may be.

;-)

Paul.

• Thanks 1

MORE SMOKE AND MIRRORS

1170338745_bridgeenddone.jpg.b31b668c4b1954ef6b673b473895e481.jpg

The sub-backscene for the viaduct end of the line is now in place, glue still going off in this picture looking through the hole.  Below the walls of the cutting are being slowly built up- I'm still foraging for suitable stne here but I'm nearly at the stage where i can fill in the wall and do the ground underneath.

1215042421_roundtheend.jpg.9aa6e11e632840ba059753240e90a16a.jpg

Looking from the back, I'm using drawing pins glued into the expanded polystyrene as reinforcers as the PVA takes time to set and I'm not entirely sure how strong it will be when it does set.

192938339_endviewinwards.jpg.1fa2abfbd7d3219a65419aa3ecf821ff.jpg

Looking outwards.  I may have to extend the overheight catenary to give an impresssion of wires being there.  I have a broken off arm that can be glued to the backscene at a suitable height and I may use elastic as this is a potential derailment zone.

The rest of the day has been spent tweaking pantographs.  The BR181's single arm performs well enough with the loco running number 2 end first, the pan at the other end has a build issue.  However I do have some spare Lima single-arm pantographs so may well swap the Hobbycraft ones for two of these.

On the other hand every one of the Taurus/Traxx/Vectrons has little bits that stick up above the pantograph slider and catch the wires so not one of these can run with pans up.  Either an expensive set of replacement or some loco sales.  Time will tell.

Les

Edited by Les1952
typos as usual
  • Like 2

20200807_113658.jpg.a1f3b093f833b512c1ad23b04518656d.jpg

The BR181, aka E310 001 has now had a pantograph transplant for the broken one.  This is one of uncertain origin I found in my pantographs box.  The only problem with it is that the screw which holds it in from underneath restricts the ride height of the pantograph if screwed all the way in.  If not fully in the pantograph revolves.  Putting a washer underneath cures the problem BUT the height of screw head plus washer inside the body means the body won't go back onto the chassis.

I'll live with a slightly low height as there are not that many places where there is air betweeen the pantograph and the catenary.

I've also rotated the two pantographs on the BR143 so the elbows are towards the centre of the loco.  It isn't right as they should be at the outside, BUT it does mean the rear (ie normal) pantograph is raised rather than the wrong pantograph having to be raised. Elbow first it runs well and skates over any imperfections.  Elbow trailing it catches on anything it possibly can.  I've done a vid of it running on a freight but haven't yet loaded onto YouTube.

Still waiting for the buildings from Osborn's.  

Les

ONE building has arrived from Osborn's

20200808_113517.jpg.5c0b269db7f5eb3d8365317a1b668510.jpg

The slightly larger station building is on back order.

This one's potential site now has a mast plonked squarely in it, so the shed may well be the way round it is on the box lid but with the ground floor door bricked up to allow for the mast.  It is, after all, a minor station on a cross-country route.  The alternative means putting it on the main running line, which would mean that if a van were to be parked there any through traffic would need to use the loop.

It needs some thought..

20200808_124053.jpg.b3190731a4074557b1735e164168b427.jpg

A bit of a revelation came when I actually read the side of this Sowa beer wagon.. Another local one- and a name done by a number of other manufacturers...

Les

We've had a couple of days in Harrogate just to get a change of scenery, with a side trip to Saltburn for some sea air- the cliff tramway wasn't working (shame), nor was the miniature railway.  Decided against a trip to Barnard Castle for an eye test- it seems almost everyone in South Durham is doing that one just to say they've done it 

We WERE supposed to be on stage on Monday this week doing Gondoliers with Trent Opera, but this pic of the theatre will help explain why it was cancelled.  As we booked the hotel before lockdown we decided to go anyway just for the break.

no_show.jpg.4690782a849762bb680a17925319fc00.jpg

Plenty of social distancing around town (except in the queue to get into Wetherspoon's).  Even the three green bears outside the shop on Cheltenham Whatsits seem to be social distancing.  

762984629_sociallydistanced.jpg.c63a96e47685632a7e2c4c92bcb6fca7.jpg

The two smaller ones were nowhere to be seen - I suspect they are taken indoors when the shop is shut to stop them being nicked.

Too hot when we got back to go into the workshop, and no outstanding packages arrived, so I'll just settle for adding this pic of the Class 143 with the pantographs reversed.

1875449050_E143pans.jpg.545bf554200cdbf2d836c26b920491ce.jpg

Hopefully if I start early enough tomorrow I can get some modelling done before it gets too hot.

Goodnight England and the Colonies.

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 2

Most of today's work has been on the goods shed, with a little levelling of the ground it is going to sit on, and some work preparing the latest acquisition for service- pic of it to follow.

Latest acquistions are a Hobbytrain 139, green with computer number and original style roof, and three more beer vans- you can never have too many pretty beer vans even if they weren't all that common on the prototype.

Illustration of the day is a video of the class 143 running with its reversed single arm pantograph in action.

All for tonight.

Les

Looking along the layout from the viaduct end showing progress to last weekend.

20200807_104138.jpg.0f04c071fee6ecf12fbf436b3c7a9a8c.jpg

Also a couple of newer arrivals.

20200813_121808.jpg.5f4c62e494a39bb703795eccc278e675.jpg

The 139 has released the DB Cargo red 140 for sale as too recent.  I've given it address 139 as the only one of its type.  The two class 140s will be renumbered to 140 so either can be used, or both together double-heading a biggish goods train - assuming they run at the same speed...

Now a few recent beer vans...

20200808_124005.jpg.0a8fbf7710f4871d7608dd775343d0c1.jpg20200813_111103.jpg.89033a5391f7ab851a2eee0f1d02bdeb.jpg20200813_111113.jpg.33e83d254d2b33ff4a44fcd3a373010f.jpg20200813_111118.jpg.252766b3e61f19cf9a9c877b457cbe2f.jpg

They make a nice colourful, if totally unprototypical train.  All by Sowa, the Bitburger has a more recent chassis with NEM pockets so has Easi-Shunts to work into the brewery yard.

More trees have arrived, very small ones but they will add variety and can also be used around the big house.

All for now

Les

• Like 1

AFTER THE VIDEO NASTY

Looking at the last video I posted the gap in the tree line to the right of the hole makes it obvious there is a bit of board hiding the train.  I've added trees into this space and will take another video at some stage to see what a difference it makes to a disappearing train.

446706248_moretrees22.jpg.b7b16efa82313e64dceca72a21d6bf0d.jpg

Looking at the longer run of trees.  This one shows that I still need more to the side of the little fir, then a row in front on the slope.  There will also be trees and bushes in front of the viaduct.

829430961_treedhole.jpg.cbc80e05741d7aa5fbd6373011ca8ad2.jpg

Looking at the same place from a level viewpoint - over the bank but under the wires.

NEW ARRIVAL

1964599749_decker1.jpg.7ef8a1baebc6f56086ba8dfce6077d14.jpg

To run with the class 143 is the first of what will be a pair of double-deckers.  Secondhand, of course.   It runs nicely and has directionally controlled lamps.  However it is a little bit longer than the existing coaches so catches here and there.  Of course it has to catch in the most inaccessible places.  I've had to move part of the curved wall below the brewery backwards- shades of Furtwangen's railcar.  I've also been digging away at the foundations of the raised masts just beyond the holes in the backscene.  

An hours work and it now propels round the layout in both directions without derailing.   Until I manage to find a suitable secondhand double-decker to go with it I'll run it with a Silberling between it and the loco.

That makes three push-pull trains, possibly four if I run the three Intercity coaches as a diverted service, though I've not tried these yet.

Rest of day spent adding yet more trees, doing a bit more of the goods shed and starting the wall on the viewer side of the platform - and touching in bits of ballast here and there, still trying to disguise the Fleischmann track.

All for tonight

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 2

A bit more hole hiding...

1856689053_holehiding2.jpg.b8b295c73d55d6845fadd555e9efb708.jpg

the wall has been moved backwards and trees planted.  Another tree to go in to the right of the row and more foliage behind the brewery.  However there needs to be a little ballast on this side of the track to hide its Fleischmann origins.

ANOTHER NEW ARRIVAL

A second attempt at a Fleischmann BR111 class.  The first one went up in smoke on the test track while still analogue.  This one came from DM Toys ready fitted with DCC.  No problems so far, and no smoke....

990135341_E111atlast.jpg.5243d14c007f770af954f51e7d5ae7fd.jpg

Pictured under a bridge instead of on top of one just for a change.

The grass between the rails is a little accidental as I spilt a little PVA on the track just before doing the static grass in this area.  I'm leaving it.  A join at the edge of the ballast shows up in the cruel enlargement.  Another job for the list...

The 111 passes through the station with a long (for Bregenbach) passenger train.  The video show the effect of the wall in front of the station, though that is still to be bedded in and have view blockers put in place.  Also at the beginning the extra trees do a much better job of make-believe as the train comes into view.

All for today.

Les

20200816_142759.jpg.3a5202c074930ecf4dcce5a3794b47b2.jpg

Not a lot to report at the moment, the rock face near the girder bridge has had static grass applied above it and into some of the gaps, with more and a generous additional helping of ballast below.  A little glue spillage and grass to remove from the overhead, and quite a deal more vegetation to be poked into rock gaps to make it look as if these pieces of rock have been there for a lot of years- rather than being foraged form various field and woodland paths around the Newark area.

Another item of motive power due tomorrow, and a video of a single-arm Hobbytrain pantograph running under the wires with a bit of luck.

Les

• Like 2

Not a lot done on the actual layout this week as I've been concentrating on locos, or at least that is my excuse.

First loco.

Those nice people at Kernow sent me the Clayton I had ordered for Croft Spa.  A beautiful model of a prototype that had more potential than it was ever allowed to realise.  The model is a little light-footed, however.  I've been testing it and running it in on Bregenbach as the layout erected at the moment.  Suffice to say that the similar sized Piko MaK diesel nose-to-nose with it on the viaduct is three times as strong.

553593274_headtohead.jpg.bde16b085c240636ba7cd3a34f502243.jpg

However the Clayton is strong enough to manage its duties on Croft Spa next time that goes out, so no real problem.

Next up

This one arrived courtesy of eBay and Rails emporium.

glasshouse.jpg.db7e50fc6638ab8545043e6b26b43f99.jpg

It was already DCC fitted and after a bit of wheel cleaning has been running in with its pans down to avoid any problems.  I hadn't noticed that one doesn't travel to full height, so that is a job for the "to do" list, as if that weren't long enough already.  It seems not to like the section underneath the girder bridge travelling one way round and is a little iffy about the fiddle yard entry going the other way- down to pickups on the unpowered bogie and angle of bogie swing.  Another for the "to do" list is to have a look at these.  Also on the list- find out how to open it up and populate it with happy punters as a special train.

I need to look at some recent video of it (any excuse to watch YouTube) to see whether it runs these days with one or two pantographs up.

Lastly for now

the search for a way to run the Hobbytrain Tauri goes on.  The Kaiser Taurus had a little accident which broke one pantograph.  Just as well it is a loco I want to keep even as a showcase model most of the time.  It now has a Lima pantograph at one end- the lowered one in the pic.

20200818_200551.jpg.75af0fd7db6ebf46b576d00438e4948f.jpg

I've been experimenting with copper wire cut to shape and glued to the top of the Hobbytrain pantographs to give them a flat top.  This is the second attempt and looks a lot better than the one on the Europe Vectron which I did first.  It runs well and doesn't catch, though it will only run elbow first.  I'll try and remember to take pics of the next one I do.  The thin copper wire is from Sommerfeldt catenary in the five-pack I broached for the two odd-length pieces in the station area.  Not really saleable as three odd lengths and making something else out of them seemed a better idea than keeping them festering in the spares box for ever.

Keep safe

Les

Edited by Les1952
typos...
  • Like 1

Trees and boxing today.

I'm fed up of trees and there are only so many pics you can take, so today's pics are of the plywood end pieces.  Not yet fixed to the fascia plywood as my small drill has run out of charge and the charger (the second one) has died.  There is a third charger on order so normal service making holes will be resumed shortly.  That will also allow me to split the layout to do the end boards for packing- it isn't that long to September and the "For Sale" advert for Hawthorn Dene.  At that point work will need to stop on Bregenbach while I dig HD out of the corner and clean the spiders off it.

cornered.jpg.610f25797e283fe75f2349eab45625b9.jpg627934968_othercorner.jpg.bc6b6190de6e5903f0afa44b99901362.jpg

It is starting to look like an exhibition layout in the making.

HD is the nearer of the two layouts stacked in the far corner with Croft Spa behind it.  Once HD is sold I'll have room to get a third metal trestle for Bregenbach which will then share two of them with NO PLACE.  Croft Spa can then have exclusive use of its own trestles.  Isn't life complicated?

I've also got the body removed from the Glasner Zug and added a driver and as many seated figures as I could find.  More to add once I have sourced them as it still looks a little empty.

All for now.

Les

• Like 1

On 22/08/2020 at 22:21, Les1952 said:

I've been experimenting with copper wire cut to shape and glued to the top of the Hobbytrain pantographs to give them a flat top.  This is the second attempt and looks a lot better than the one on the Europe Vectron which I did first.  It runs well and doesn't catch, though it will only run elbow first. 

Hi Les, I'll be interested in how you get on with flattening out the Hobbytrain panto heads.  It's something that's been concerning me, although as Königshafen is not currently set up I've not yet been able to test more recent purchases under the wires.

I saw your earlier mentions of problems with single arm panto heads catching, I find the trick is to give the top of the arms a very slight forward/downward bend so that the head doesn't catch when running with the elbow to the rear.   Just enough bend so that the head sits level rather than trying to tip backward.

Nick