Bregenbach im Schwarzwald - in the hills of the Black Forest

Les1952

3 hours ago, ntpntpntp said:

Hi Les, I'll be interested in how you get on with flattening out the Hobbytrain panto heads.  It's something that's been concerning me, although as Königshafen is not currently set up I've not yet been able to test more recent purchases under the wires.

I saw your earlier mentions of problems with single arm panto heads catching, I find the trick is to give the top of the arms a very slight forward/downward bend so that the head doesn't catch when running with the elbow to the rear.   Just enough bend so that the head sits level rather than trying to tip backward.

Nick 

Hello.  I tried that and no joy.  

I did try running the Kaisertaurus with its Lima pantograph with the elbow at the rear.  this pan is attached with epoxy as the hole for the screw comes down in the middle of the cab and can't be got at from below without removing the cab fittings.  The force generated on the base of the pantograph running this way was enough to lift the base off the roof of the loco.

This vid shows the Einstein Taurus with one of its inner pans given the copper wire treatment.

Hope this helps.  I'll document the next one I do, which might not be until Thursday as I've just upended the Plastic Weld onto the workbench and the next two days will be spent emptying the desk to turn the cutting mat round - I've totalled the front half of the mat but no other damage apart from the laptop mouse, which might not be a write off.  Just a long job to get a useable surface to work on.

The joys of being ham fisted...

Les

As threatened promised, the step-by-step fitting of a wiper to a Hobbytrain Taurus.

before.jpg.dcc2edcba1ad5ea3532b31a9778627cd.jpg

A close-up of the wiper.  As can be seen, the piece that secures the wiper to the arm sticks up above the level of the wiper, and snags on the overhead.  My solution is simple but not the most elegant, largely because I'm not up to the level of accuracy needed.  My wrist wasn't co-operating all that well when I did this one.  Someone with more precision capability would have ditched one of my two wipers and made a new one- or got them right first time...

861043026_donorwires.jpg.31766ace37c051e1e6dc993a1f2ef97f.jpg

For donor wipers I've used a spare piece of Sommerfeldt catenary wire. Note the dropper on the left also protudes below the level of the wire.... 

1750022654_donorandruler.jpg.ef3999502db85d04822171f8592a0a92.jpg

I decided to use a length of about seven scale feet for the new wipers.  This may be generous but it works.

782087379_donorcut.jpg.bf3dcb975a2e1524dab3e76eab970467.jpg

Two lengths of the copper wire are cut.

161651560_donorcutandbent.jpg.7c2793cfb68aa56bfb0928806dbf8f25.jpg

Now the hamfisted bit- they are bent into the shape of the one in the top of the picture.  Craftsmen like I'm not will use a jig. I can make and use a jig and the end result will be worse than if I do it by eye.  I used both of these as the lower one still works.  The right hand end of the lower one is on the cusp of "bend it back".  On a different day I might have.

691570256_fitted2.jpg.b6b7714f15b515c2b3415aaf78601dd9.jpg

Using a cocktail stick I ran a very thin line of superglue along the upper edge of the outside wiper of the chosen pantograph.  Then having tried and failed in the past to place the copper using either tweezers or pliers I held the copper between the ends of my forefingers and placed it on the pan, removing fingers before the superglue grabbed skin in preference to copper.  I made quick minor adjustments with a pair of cocktail sticks before the glue set.  After half an hour check that the top of the pantograph still moves on its mounts.

2124304385_underwires2.jpg.038fe00fed499aae426b47eecd7627ab.jpg

The completed conversion posed under the wires an hour later.  I am leaving it overnight before running under the wires with it, and will apply a small amount of oil to the wipers before the loco is run.

Simple and inexpensive, and in the hands of someone less ham-fisted it could be quite an elegannt solution.

All for today.

Les

Afterthought- Maybe not  the most elegant but a Taurus running on Bregenbach is almost never going to be stationary in front of punters, so functionality is more important than apsolute visual perfection.

Edited by Les1952
afterthought
  • Like 1

SOME PLANNING AND SHUFFLING

I've looked again at the factory buildings I didn't use and have had a different idea about what can happen in the rest of the "station area".

The platform is too short for a regular station but as a works halt it is acceptable.  I have enough buildings left over ready for sale to more than fill the space, plus the goods shed and station (when it arrives).  In reality all there is at this site is a small commercial/light industrial complex that may or may not have started out as a farm.  In which case not having dwellings in this part of the layout wouldn't be that off-the-wall.

Pics show trying out some of the structures for size and location- nothing stuck down or set in stone.  In any case the ground level under them needs levelling up.

2016479817_factorytrial.jpg.111a3c05109721f33003e24f1d5a3cd1.jpg

General overview with all the available buildings, plus the tiny goods depot placed on the layout.  The overall effect isn't bad, and the tall one saves me trying to hide the mark on the backscene with a tree :)   One issue is that the wall in front of the platform now looks too bright.  Another issue for thought.

1376129003_easternfactorytrial.jpg.23e0ca2abac29c075b79c2fc5c7a4eb9.jpg

The Eastern end using the two single-height lean-to buildings and one of the others.  This about fills the space adequately but I'm not yet sure if this is the combination I will settle for.

891469226_westernfactorytrial.jpg.f1a7e91a7bfb0536c8627162c9e9ef75.jpg

The Western end with the rest of the buildings and the existing brewery.  This area is now too crowded so at least one structure and maybe more will have to go.  I'll sleep on it while levelling up the ground- the tall building can be seen leaning.  This one will be approximately where it is with the others (or some of them) around.  The extra building in the yard doesn't work but it does have some character so I may find it a home somewhere else along the back.

On order from Rails emporium are another Class 140 and a class 119 (or E19 as it has its Epoch III number.  I'll look at the visual differences between a 118 and a 119 before deciding how to number the latter.  I have computer number transfers for Class 118 but not Class 119.

All for now.

les

The two small lean-to buildings in the middle pic and the more red angled-roof building in the middle of the third pic have now been taken off.

The taller building that was nearest the viaduct has more character to it and I've moved it nearer the rest of the brewery.  It is now between the existing brewery and the two storey thinner building.  this now means the brewery is the whole of the area to the left of the station, but doesn't extend further.

The smaller building that was cluttering up the brewery yard is now on its own at the viaduct end.  I'll develop this area into some other small industry which would get its road access via the brewery and rail transferred via the small goods shed.  This then gives more of a transition from the clutter of the brewery to the countryside beyond.

Pics of this lot to follow.

1505110924_goodsshedplacedone.jpg.a3b8efb12df4b8d95e139402e9ccdb9b.jpg

In the mean time the nearly-finished goods shed, which will probably end up the other way round as the platform on the back is a better height match for the station platform.  I must ballast that area between the tracks.

All for tonight.  Still planting foliage and sorting out pantographs to make them functional if not really elegant.

Les

Edited by Les1952

The final version of the brewery buildings is this one- with a lot of detail to be added, and a it of repair work and smoke-and-mirrors to be done to the tall structure.

1254875870_breweryendbhs.jpg.6d3fed8a0091da6f4545e2213ad45a0c.jpg

Note the station has now been ballasted between the tracks- if I'd had any sense I'd have done that BEFORE I installed the catenary...

1125872114_stationballasted.jpg.fa8a6db78072668057955518b937dd62.jpg

A long goods train snaking up the bank past the brewery does look impressive.

1600907828_beertraintail.jpg.de6ca4fe18ba813142015c9b2f944ae0.jpg

The panels on the bank are the first part of a concrete panel fence which came as a freebie from DM Toys with the order for the 111.  It is good enough to go into place somewhere on the layout.  All I need to do is to work out where....

Also not yet recorded are another pair of secondhand arrivals from Rails emporium via eBay.

E19.jpg.212bc7004f60c181714100bcb8b3150d.jpg

The E19 being a little wider than most stock had a minor clearance issue with the tunnel at the bottom of the front bank, now resolved, and also brought down a mast in front of the brewery by getting tangled in the wires. A heath Robinson Richardson effort has been needed to strengthen the broken mast in a spot where a replacement won't go in.

565029940_f-mann140.jpg.5141921ae212e9ae2dddba26860d1e69.jpg

The other is a Fleischmann Epoch IV numbered 140, with computer number and the rain strips removed over the cab.  It behaves well on the track but for some reason has four traction tyres.  I'm hoping the wheelsets are compatable with the dead 141 as replacing one tyred pair of wheels for an untyred pair will improve the pickups.  it also has Fleischmann profi-couplings in a box for which I have no spare Rapido bits.  The solution to this will be to give it a dedicated working with a coach or truck that runs next to it as a converter.  Presently I'm using one of the Fleischmann centre-entrance coaches.

All for tonight.

Les

Edited by Les1952
typos...
  • Like 1

Still plodding on with foliage round the tunnel mouths.  This is the more difficult one, the one at the right-hand end after trains pass under the girder bridge to exit to the fiddle yard.

529944819_rockfoliageeast.jpg.afd3fd315e915066d3a60844c4bb8323.jpg

When all is done the tunnel and the exit above will both be into the darkness and gloom.  That way it should be a bit less obvious that the pantographs are rapidly rising to full travel to come off the end of the overhead.

One new item of rolling stock today- the double-deck intermediate coach, together with a J94 for NO PLACE, which is waiting its chip.  No sign of the charger for my small electric drill so I still can't take the layout down to do the boxing.  Time is running short as the sale advert for Hawthorn Dene won't be that long appearing.

All for tonight.

Les

• Like 2

The layout is now split into its two boards (quite easy) and standing on its ends against the workshop wall waiting to be boxed up into its travelling crate.  All being well I'll get on with that tomorrow.

I need the floor space for Hawthorn Dene to be erected step by step so I can make a guide to putting it together and modify the electrics slightly ready for sale.  The N-Gauge Journal is due in the next couple of weeks with its sale ad so I need to be ready in case there is a rush of people wanting to buy it.

101541585_ONEND.jpg.8c79a3d017b34c0e3e492ef8905c3634.jpg

The layout ready for boxing.  It does give a decent view of the overall track plan.  I might put the two halves together electronically to make a plan I can print off and trace over for show managers.

The last addition to stock before dismantling was this double-deck composite coach.  It runs nicely enough between the 111 and the double-deck control car- the 143 was in the house- but doesn't propel round the tight curves.  Propelling push-pull trains will need to be the silberlingen.

1874937773_DDCOMPO.jpg.2a92844fc5d15af614ab5a5e24695f37.jpg

Until looking at the pic I'd not spotted the yellow class lines.  Very elegant way of doing it.

I think I've now got enough passenger stock.  I must keep telling myself that, at least until I get the layout set up again and try out a full fiddle yard.

All for now.

Les

Edited by Les1952
typos...
  • Like 2

Now boxed up, though I've had to strengthen inside one of the corners.  I'll do the other seven at some stage, most likely when I put the layout up again.

20200906_093740.jpg.a7c8648e5872b817a2368f674878f1d5.jpg

the strengthened corner is top right looking at it from this view.

20200906_105532.jpg.8f934f059ac928883ea19d65345a5d2e.jpg

Trestles beside the layout, and a piece of board to keep out next-door's cat when he next explores the workshop.  I could keep the door shut but he is quite good at getting cobwebs out from inaccessible places- shame he hasn't developed a taste for spiders yet...

Tomorrow Hawthorn Dene for a couple of weeks.

Les

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hawthorn Dene has gone to pastures new (one level better than Furtwangen Ost- Furtwangen was installed on the upstairs landing of its new owner's house while Hawthorn Dene has pride of place in the lounge).

I can get on with Bregenbach once more.

I've ordered the third trestle and laid the layout down onto its front to take the end packing boards off one at a time so I can strengthen the corners while waiting for the trestle to arrive.

Typically I've run out of screws after doing two.   Too wet today to traipse down to Homebase for more.  There isn't any rain forecast here for a couple of hours tomorrow morning so there should be time to nip down without getting soaked.

Pics tomorrow if I remember.

Les

Before and after pictures of the corners.

i did mention a couple of posts ago that I'd had to strengthen one of the corners.  When I put the end packing boards onto the layout one of the corners started to pull away- the instructions from Grainge & Hodder don't mention strengthening them, though when I talked to them at Leamington Show (not long before lockdown- that seems an age ago....) they said I would need to strengthen if I were to use my preferred way of fastening the boards together- split hinges and split pins.

unstrengthened.jpg.452c5c08bc143c36e608e4f04cb850dd.jpg

This shows the inside of one corner before strengthening- the strengtheners on the end are for inter-board fastening and location and seem to work satisfactorily.

strengthened.jpg.f218a648f41f266ad3dc56f958bd8df5.jpg

The other corner of the same end board with a piece of 40mmmm wood glued and screwed in place.  Why 40mm?  With someone in the front passenger seat I can't get an 8 foot length of timber in the car, and 40mmmm was the largest available in a shorter length. 

Four corners done, two half done, one done earlier so one not yet started.

The third trestle has been dispatched- might see that tomorrow.

In the meantime a BR23 and a BR150 have joined the roster, with a Wiener Lokalbahn Taurus (rule 1- I like it..) on its way.  I've also managed to find a secondhand Smart Booster as a spare- not worth spending £200 for a new one to use as a backup- and after seeing secondhand Powercab systems going for £200 on eBay I've been to see Jeremy at Digitrains and forked out £160 on a new one to replace the one sold with Hawthorn Dene.

When HD sold I'd intended to let the little Cab06 throttle used on the colliery go with it but couldn't get it to fire up when I tested it.  Accordingly I parted with one of the ProCabs as a second controller.  Trying the Cab06 with the Smart Booster it works.  I found out from Jeremy this morning the problem was addressing- a Cab06 will only talk to a PowerCab if its address is set to 3.  I've reset the address on the Cab06 and it works.

That leaves me with two PowerCabs and one ProCab, with the Cab06 throttle spare.  Fortunately Bregenbach only needs two controllers, and much of the time only one - the same as NO PLACE.  Croft Spa needs two in use all the time.  I think with the above and a spare Smart Booster I'm covered for a failure at a show no matter which layout I take out.

Les

Edited by Les1952
can't measure....
  • Like 1

All corners now strengthened and the trestle has arrived - in kit form as expected..

Tomorrow flu jab in the morning but hopefully enough modelling time to get the trestle built and the layout set up again but on its own trestles rather than the over-wide Croft Spa set.

That will be three metal trestles in the workshop- Bregenbach will need all three and any pair can go under NO PLACE. 

The Wiener Lokalbahn Taurus also has arrived and I've chipped it at the second attempt- the Lenz one snapped in half as i was fitting it (fortunately without damaging the rather delicate Schnitstelle interface) so it has a new Zimo chip inside.

All for now.  Pics once the layout is set up again.

Les

the new trestle is now assembled and...

WOE, WOE and THRICE WOE!

The adjustments on the new one do not match the other two at any height!   Three solutions possible-

1.  Ditch the new one and wait for Aldi to get some more of the others (borrowing one from the Club in the mean time)

2. Ditch the old ones and spend £55 on two more like the new one

3.  Bodge a solution.

Being a natural born skinflint I've gone for option 3.

The solution has been to glue a piece of wood to the top rail of the new trestle.  It will need a final adjustment of a couple of millimetres in additional shims.  When the layout is taken down again I'll bolt through the wood to make it a permanent part of the top rail.

800523312_shorttrestle.jpg.32a907a989a0700f43518b4ed9be7516.jpg

having the layout on the narrower trestles and having strengthened all the corners I've now gone for my favoured method of holding the boards together- split hinges front and back held by split pins.  I assembled the layout and held it together with the bolts and wingnuts inside and then got the inter-board levels as I wanted them before putting on the hinges, making sure the screws were long enough to go through into the corner strengtheners.  Grainge & Hodder had advised that the corners would need strengthening before hinges could be used.  The next time I build a layout I'll put in substantial corner strengtheners and use split hinges from the start.

739419679_inter-boardfixing.jpg.1039e35f29995c7d682e012fa97fcc8b.jpg

Note that at the front the pin is inserted Aussie fashion.

825956182_newtrestles.jpg.546c881266565aceb9d739f305a12081.jpg

Not the best focus but showing that on its own trestles the layout takes up a lot less of the workshop than when on Croft Spa's trestles....

Long shed day tomorrow- today I only got a couple of hours once we'd spent an hour walking to town, half an hour getting the flu jabs, and 90 mins walking back because of stopping for the other half to chat to a lady walking a dog....  I forgot to take the outgoing post down with me so I've got to take a trip down tomorrow- but that will be on my own, in the car, and early!

Another job to do tomorrow is to Pin NO PLACE'S cloth to the layout to see if it will fit.  I suspect it is about 9 inches to a foot too narrow, though the length should be OK.

Plenty left to do.  The second pack of figures arrived today, happy campers for the valley somewhere.  The first set were trainspotters- Barry O and his school pal John on a Continental holiday.

Les

Edited by Les1952
typos...

Starting by referring back to August.

The wheelsets on the dead 141 aren't compatable with the Class 140, so I'll just keep looking for an old Fleischmann 110/140 in scrap condition for spares.

The first of the locos acquired in the interregnum is another 6-axle job that almost certainly wouldn't have been allowed up the line due to the curves, but it goes round them on the model so not an issue for me

BR150.jpg.b26f4b8219a19b85770a4a6bb7bfa7d6.jpg

A Roco class 150 converted to DCC and found on the eSite....

Needs very minor weathering- it will be another of those ex-DB escapees, though in practice none of the class seem to have survived other than a couple in museums.  It will look good on the long goods alternating with the 193.

Photographed just to the right of the girder bridge, where the layout is getting good enough to withstand close-ups.

One or two track issues dealt with today and quite a bit of running.  Next issue is that the line across the board on the loop has taken a sideways twist on one side when ballasted but not on the other.  I'll probably need to soak the ballast, line the track up and put a couple of deep pins in beside the track to hold it straight.

The line on the front up the bank works slightly loose on one side but a push with pliers on the track pin shoves it down again.  I'm wary of using superglue to stick it as it goes into the polystyrene riser.  Horizontally it isn't a problem but the problem manifests itself as a massive bump.

357206154_BR23inyard.jpg.a8f5c95b3459e0a233be25be8cd7e6c7.jpg

Second of the "new" locos is a Flesichmann BR23, again second-hand from the eSite...  This one seems not to like turning left sharply, though it is OK on the same curves turning right.  I'll have to look at the loco to tender coupling, but the space is full of wires to and from the decoder.  It may yet spend most of its life in the showcase and be traded in against the new Class 23 that is coming out next year.

All for now.

Les

Edited by Les1952
deleted some gobbledegook and sorted typos
  • Like 1

I'm doing a more comprehensive article on the wipers for the Hobbytrain pantographs to put in the N-Gauge Society Journal.  I've taken a couple of photographs to use as the first one, and re-done a couple of the later pics to make the conversion look a bit more professional.  However I've a pair of Vectrons coming for the showcase so I may yet wait and do a set of pics when I sort the pantographs of one of these.

884332446_111viaduct.jpg.b1797a9155fc8235a418d09593374b33.jpg

First pic - the idea being to get the impression of a train running under the wires.

HOWEVER- I thought it might be an idea if an article on Hobbytrain single-arm pantographs wasn't headed by a pic of a Fleischmann loco with diamond pantographs.

Accordingly, same location- the replacement..

20201011_150914.jpg.9d264319e3dd49bd1f0cef3a7ecf337d.jpg

Much more appropriate, at least in my humble opinion...

All for tonight.  Much of the day has been spent on the unglamorous task of sorting decoders and testing them in a Farish class 24 to see which worked, then resetting addresses to 3 and labelling them as good- and binning two that didn't work at all.  At least I have 3 good used 6-pin decoders in stock, also two new 6-pin Zimo plus a new next18 and two decent ones for hard wiring.

Les

• Like 2

Slightly frustrating today.   I was going to paint the front fascia black having found where I left the paint, then discovered there was no brush cleaner.  Job deferred to Thursday after a visit to town tomorrow.

The latest new toy is another Vectron- still spending the ill gotten gains from selling Hawthorn Dene.  Posed on the layout with the power off as I have run out of next18 chips.  20201013_185759.jpg.e6d0ed5faa627d682438851a0e2d9227.jpg

I have a rationale for running the layout present day- the local trains will have vintage secondhand locos and coaches, while the rationale behind new stuff would be low access charges to encourage short trains to take this hilly route from Freiburg and avoid the congestion and high access costs of going via Basel.   Thus through stuff is portions originating in the Freiburg area or trains that can't get a slot over the Schwartzwaldbahn North of Donaueschingen.  As the rump of the real Bregtalbahn still exists serving some industry in the Donaueschingen area there could still be originating traffic from there heading West, but that would have an older loco on the front.

When the Vectron has been chipped I'll run it in then modify a pantograph at the number 2 end.

20201013_200328.jpg.3699e5436ba309fd05936eecb1ca4b73.jpg

A loco I don't think has featured yet but which has been in stock for some time is the Lollo V160 005, definitely one of the secondhand fleet owned by the Bregtalbahn itself.  I must weather this one lightly.

Most of the day spent making two good Dapol B1s out of three with problems, and failing as I broke a pillar screw on one of them and it will have to go to DCC Supplies to sort out.  At least they have that particular B1 spare in stock.

Goodnight England and the Colonies.....

Les

Not a lot of time to do much today- shopping in the morning then a walk, but I did get time to put a coat of paint along the front of the layout.

274577089_blackWestend.jpg.de23087c3afd6ab6b2da9d0c361e72c0.jpg

73706501_blackeastend.jpg.00c5c836dd3decbbb08947f13c472d69.jpg

It does make Bregenbach start to look like an exhibition layout in the making.

More trees ordered today, first by Busch this time to get some quality ones nearer the front.  I'va also been into Access models and bought some bullrushes for the artea under the girder bridge as I want this a little boggy.

Enough of this, Morpheus calls...

Les

• Like 2

To allow more running with lead pantograph raised when in "current" mode (ie single arm pans to the fore) I'm adding in a second rake of oil tankers.

Here the Kaisertaurus demonstrates running with its front pan raised on the oil train as put together so far.  I've spent more of the ill-gotten gains from HD's sale on a second rake in (mostly) a different colour.

The Kaisertaurus will need to run this way round the layout as it has taken a dislike to descending the curve around the brewery.

Recent work on the layout has mostly been making the boggy area at the front between the girder bridge and the tunnel mouth.  Pics when done.

Les

• Like 1

Another short day today as we walked into town to the Post Office and back.  It used to be a one minute walk to the village PO.  It is now a 15 minute bus ride or an hour's walk to get there free, or pay for fuel and car parking..

However, as threatened  promised the pic of the first area that is supposed to be a little boggy by the right hand tunnel.  Not dark enough inside the tunnel as there is no roof on it yet, but getting there.

529911007_soggyground1.jpg.69fce5a95c6fa845706ae521ce81ae4d.jpg

At this magnification it is still not all that easy to recognise the origins of the track...

Longer day tomorrow (hopefully).  Much of the shed time was spent sorting out a newly arrived secondhand Taurus- one of the earliest ones.  I've replaced one of the pantographs with a Lima one out of the spares box.  this one runs just under the wires so is OK for elbow trailing.  I also swapped the chassis for the one I'd fitted with the Lemke replacement circuit board. 

20201012_115246.jpg.44c4caea93a7c12a0a76ca3cdcf4c476.jpg

Unfortunately it doesn't run that well on DCC- it ran perfectly analogue.  I swapped the chip for a brand new Zimo and even for a Lenz from another loco but no improvement.  Tomorrow I'll swap the circuit board over onto the chassis that came yesterday and see if that runs better.  Both are fine on analogue DC, so one of them will be sold on with the body from (yet) another Taurus I've got coming for its chassis.

Still expected are a few bogie tankers and a third Vectron.  Trees that arrived today are unsuitable, even with a deal of flock and spray mount they won't do - club sales stand for those.  At least they weren't expensive.

All to report today.  There is a pic of the new Taurus in the camera so it will appear sometime soon.  Hopefully I'll have more scenics to report by then also.

Les

• Like 1

Another fairly short day as mowing the lawns and a walk took out a huge chunk.

I've now sorted out the pantographs on all of the Hobbytrain locos, so all electrics in stock currently will run under the wires.

However there is a Vectron coming  plus a pair of Tauri for their chassis (one Minitrix and one Hobbytrain) so still some mods to do.  I've also ordered some single arm pantographs by Piko - Peters spares have them in stock.

20201017_133528.jpg.269e5806b9263dc8d95da766e8784ee3.jpg

Very old DB Taurus by Hobbytrain.  Neither its chassis nor the one I converted want to run without stuttering under DCC, so I've converted the spare one back and put the upgrade board into store for now.  I'll get a newer chassis for this body.  One pantograph has been replaced with one from stock, which runs low enough under the wires to be able to run with the elbow at the back.  It isn't all that noticeable from standing height.

The German Euro Cup Taurus for some reason has restricted travel on one pantograph.  I can't think why as the other one travels fully.  I've done the wipers and it too can run with the elbow at the rear as it only touches the overhead in a couple of places.

Layout work today has been around the other tunnel mouth, long grass but no bullrushes yet.  Other work sorting out some of Hawthorn Dene's Colliery locos into their boxes for sale.  Checking them, resetting the DCC address to 3 and photographing them.  Three Mark1 Suburbans are also redundant, the other two staying with the celerestory as an occasional local on Croft Spa. 

Hopefully tomorrow will bring some decent trees.

Les

A dozen more trees planted and you can't really tell.....

1363181210_treesroundviaduct.jpg.b6004574608622420e0993996e95d8f0.jpg

There are nine new Noch conifers, given a little dead foliage round the bottom and spread around, plus three more pines.

1248170122_bigtrees.jpg.adaa36e2bb9268f0292fb14ef37c5931.jpg

A lot of firs acting as view blockers for the sharp turn at the brewery end.  This lot is ready for small details to be added, animals, wild flowers etc.

852295053_Vectrononviaduct.jpg.2ea415c0170e6e8d5c7dd71688126ac5.jpg

The latest addition to stock, another Hobbytrain Vectron, seen on the viaduct.  The other side is different.

All for now.

Les

• Like 2

I had a newish Hobbytrain Taurus arrive this morning- a chassis donor for either the Greek taurus or the DB Class 182.  Runs beautifully on analogue, but when I put a chip in it it runs beautifully on the programming track then stutters on the layout.  I've tried a few different chips.  Even taking the chip out of Hawthorn Dene's class 24 I get the same, and this chip then exhibits the same characteristics when returned to the layout in the Class 24.

I'm beginning to suspect either the Cab that is on the layout or the Smart Booster.  The latter is the secondhand one I bought as a spare with the surviving Procab attached to it.  The old PowerCab is on the test track.  I ran out of time to investigate further but a couple of other things also occurred to me.  One is the number of locos (16) standing on the layout plus a pair of control cars drawing power for their diode controlled lights. 

Tomorrow's course of action is-

1. swap the Smart Booster over and see if that makes a difference.

2. Take a number of locos off and disable the coach lighting on any coaches standing on the layout.

3. Replace the Procab with the PowerCab off the bench and get the new PowerCab out of its box and running the programming track.

If any of these (or even all three) solve the problem it might also explain why I've had a few locos that don't run smoothly- it might also be that they are drawing too much power from the chips.  I'll try to find a loco with a Lenz Silver Mini inside it to swap for a new Zimo.  If all else fails it will be another chassis sold as analogue only.

On a brighter note I've progressed with the spongy ground by both tunnel mouths.  Not actually boggy as in lake but spongy as in needing wellies to walk across it. 

497230076_spongygroundlefttunnel.jpg.b682b2b77dd853d4e0273cca31acc1b2.jpg

By the left hand tunnel mouth

1666965709_spongygroundrighttunnel.jpg.7bb05ac3849329abbf053bd25848fc41.jpg

By the right hand tunnel mouth

Tomorrow- more pine trees and getting the drop-in piece over the board join on the top level started I think, plus trying to work why certain locos stutter- they may be drawing too much power for their chips or there may be too much total current draw for the Smart Booster.

I should be nearer an answer by tomorrow night....

Les

Edited by Les1952
typos...
  • Like 1

What was going to be a long day in the shed was overtaken by events.  Bingham MRC has been made homeless from the turn of the year so that they can demolish the clubroom to make way for new housing.  Best of luck with that- it was built as the armoury for RAF Newton and a mere wrecking ball won't touch it....   As a result much of the day has been spent getting pics taken of Rise Park and getting it up for sale on eBay.  Priced very cheaply it has attracted a bid within three hours.  I've also been liaising with Mr Simon over getting Gresby moved out.

I tried the new cab on the layout and swapped the Smart Boosters over.  The Taurus still won't run properly with a chip inside.  Swapping the circuit board over on the top didn't make any difference so I've come to the conclusion it just draws too much current for a Zimo or Gaugemaster chip to handle.  I've not yet located a Lenz chip but when I do I'll try it- otherwise since it runs perfectly on DCC it will go onto eBay and I'll try a different Taurus chassis.

Meanwhile the Class 24 has got its chip back and is behaving, so that has gone back in the Croft Spa box.

Six new oil tankers arrived in the post this morning, with two more yesterday.  That now gives me the two oil trains- one in each direction.

Not a lot else to report.  Town tomorrow so another short day.  Better luck Saturday and Sunday.....

Les

WEEKEND WORK

686698214_interboardboard.jpg.6cd52b6076a3e05839139bc310a98c5b.jpg

The board for the slot-in piece at the upper level is now cut and the sub-terrain levelled for it to slot in.  The tree will hide the join in the backscene but won't be used to pick the board up.  I'm not yet sure what will be used.  Croft Spa's slot-in board of similar size is lifted out by the flagpole.  I'm not sure if a flagpole would be appropriate here.  The small station building will sit on this board.  the goods shed about where it is sitting here, at a distance back from the running lines to suggest there was originally a third one here.  I might have the ballast of this visible to the right and going across onto the lift-out board.

But then again i might do something else entirely.......

355368580_yardsite.jpg.d7db84b296122b1ab4dd8ceab133127a.jpg

To the right is the building for a smaller, older commercial site, the exact makeup of which is still evolving.  I found the coach body in the junk box and it will fit the bill when weathered and sited.  You don't see all that many on Continental layouts.

672234061_platformgrass.jpg.b7822cf985d4caf432cf4d0000eb17e3.jpg

Static grass in front of the platform wall.  The cruel enlargement shows that the end of the wall needs some attention at the corner.  Another for the "to do" list.

1615069644_naturalweathering.jpg.34dc484b9cadab43192b89705d17abac.jpg

Last for today another denizen of the junk box.  This wagon had a damaged axlebox and had lost a wheelset.  The wheelset was found (in the spare wheels and axles box by some strange chance) and the axlebox repaired.  The wagon hasn't been weathered.  That grot has arrived naturally.

All for now.  Tomorrow brings a long phone call and a Zoom meeting on Club business, so what amount of modelling will get done is a moot point.

Les

• Like 1