Class 68 decoder

mikes rail

• RMweb Gold

Good morning, I am looking at getting a Dapol class 68 in 00 gauge and am wondering which decoder to use (not sound) I see Dapol do the Imperium 21 pin and have seen listed the ESU 5461 not been to well up on modern decoders what do others think of the above or recommend for this loco, thanks for any feedback.

Mike

• RMweb Gold

The Imperium will work fine and handle all the functions.

Generally I'd recommend a Zimo but I can't remember if the £20 21Pin Zimo (MX638) has the logical level functions the Class 68 needs for all its lights to work.

1 hour ago, Kaput said:

The Imperium will work fine and handle all the functions.

Generally I'd recommend a Zimo but I can't remember if the £20 21Pin Zimo (MX638) has the logical level functions the Class 68 needs for all its lights to work.

Yes, a Zimo does all the outputs.  

From the manual:  Zimo have the ability for to change from "logic" to "full power" to cope with the two different 21-pin standards.   

A CV change:  write CV8=3 for reset to logic outputs, write CV8=4 for reset to full power outputs,  in all cases, CV8 will read 145 as Zimo's manufacturing ID. 
Chances are the CV change will be required to make it work all the lights in the Dapol loco. 

Nigel

• Informative/Useful 1