GWR "Herring" Ballast Hopper Wagon

• RMweb Gold

Does anybody know if there are any drawings available anywhere for the GWR "Herring" Ballast Hopper Wagon (Dia. P22) please?

The one that I can find on the HMRC website is for a much earlier type.

Owing to the unavailability of the Cambrian kit I'm going to have to resort to scratchbuilding.

1809248700_HerringCambrian.png.005f5eac3575cff6155e86b9c935ed6f.png

Does anybody know what the wheelbase was?

Thanks

• Friendly/supportive 1

Running a rule over the Cambrian kit comes in at 38mm wheelbase.

That's in 4mm / ft

Andy

Edited by SM42
to add scale
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Atkins et al "GWR Goods Wagons" has a diagram for a P22 (which I think is the same as the Cambrian kit) giving the wheelbase as 9'6", 16' over headstocks and 19' over buffers. 8'0 wide body, 7'10" high (from rail level).

• Thanks 1

Guest Jack Benson

Hi,

This is currently awaiting the correct BR lettering, sorry about the matt finish. It is a Rumney Models version.

Cheers and Stay Safe

95FF802F-EBC1-4180-9373-61D910538444.jpeg.09071716f5000016ca83b5240a7886c8.jpeg

10 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

Hi,

This is currently awaiting the correct BR lettering, sorry about the matt finish. It is a Rumney Models version.

Cheers and Stay Safe

95FF802F-EBC1-4180-9373-61D910538444.jpeg.09071716f5000016ca83b5240a7886c8.jpeg

Looking good. I have been working on one for the last fortnight

49210E7C-F8C9-4631-9FEE-E88C806E63CB.jpeg

1726EB2A-AC82-4CB3-BE33-3E339D2A822A.jpeg

AE85DE2C-9929-45B4-BEE2-4074E050F78C.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Those etched brass ones are looking good!

But beyond my patience - etched brass signals are bad enough. So for those who have been craving a Herring fix I have it on good authority that it is worth keeping an eye on the Cambrian web site at https://www.cambrianmodelrail.co.uk/store/GWR-&-Cambrian-c25374904 for forthcoming availability.

Rumours that a shoal are heading for Abbotwood Junction has nothing to do with https://www.worldfishmigrationday.com/ on 24th October.....!!!

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

And no longer out of stock on web site.

Waiting for ours to arrive. I contacted @cctransuk on Tuesday for transfers, including customisation of “Return to” instructions... Chepstow and Coleford for us. Unbelievably  they arrived yesterday..... brilliant service! Many thanks John

Have also ordered white metal buffers from Lanarkshire Models .... have had plenty of others from @davefrk, another provider of great service.

Just waiting for kits to arrive - no connection with any supplier mentioned other than happy previous customer.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Interesting, when I looked 3 hours ago, they were shown as 'out of stock', which is the current status as I write this!

There was one on eBay last year that sold for £35 when they were currently out of stock everywhere CK but if you're patient I'm sure H & A Models will get them back in stock shortly. An email to Harry would let you know.

• Like 1

Guest Jack Benson

Doing the best with the only decals in stock, this is the rather careworn Rhumney Herring as running on Beaminster Road. It has become something of an anachronism as it was initially purchased as the first of a short rake of Herrings for the SDJR but the layout reverted to the SR and a rake of 40t hoppers were more appropriate.

IMG_0157.JPG.52d7443817cdd563b281663da5a25fe3.JPG

An interesting comparison with Hornby's LSWR Engineering Department shows the diminutive size of the Herring.

IMG_0160.JPG.6e0dc0e6dc44227720701e1a33de9bfa.JPG

The Hornby wagon is waiting to be recycled as a relic puched up against the buffers in the yard.

Cheers and Stay Safe

• RMweb Gold
On 22/10/2020 at 17:26, Captain Kernow said:

Interesting, when I looked 3 hours ago, they were shown as 'out of stock', which is the current status as I write this!

Hi CK

Says out of stock on front page but if you navigate to the herring page there are instructions on what to do

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

Here’s the first of our fleet ... a livery test at the moment, the observant might note a missing buffer and draw hook. The plastic ones are to be replaced with white metal from Lanarkshire models.

Kit went together well and transfers from CCT have gone on well. Discussion with @cctransuk John Isherwood has led us to conclude a branded herring was a rare beast....

F7066596-39BA-4F89-99C9-7F2CE0A1205C.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Me Ah, so it was you! 

Guilty as charged m’lud! Oh hang on what is the charge....?.?

A couple of notes on assembly as am now on number 5. The W irons are not always true... the chassis moulding seems to have distorted slightly in some kits resulting in lateral displacement. At its worst this meant that the wheel set could just drop out. Have tried bending the W irons in to correct this and felt the plastic starting to fail .... not a good idea. So now the first thing to do on the chassis is to trial fit bearings and wheels. If there is too much slop then the bearings are not pushed fully home but rather are left standing proud by the required amount...ensuring the wheels are central.... and then securing the bearing with a touch of cyano on the rear before adding axle boxes.

The other point is the area below the sole bar gets extremely cluttered as detail is addedl...and that’s with me claiming the tension lock cop out and not doing the full brake gear. Better to add the internal V hangers before anything else in there ensuring they align with the external V Hangers on the sole bars.

These are minor points however and with a bit of care a very nice characterful wagon results.... free running and light. @davefrk s white metal buffers have arrived and do add a bit of weight but I suspect Liquid lead in the bottom of the hoppers and permanent ballast loads are going to be required.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
On 25/10/2020 at 14:16, Captain Kernow said:

I have, in fact, already spoken with Cambrian.

Plenty now in stock with H & A. 

https://www.hamodels.net/cambrian-models-gwr/br-herring-ballast-hopper.html

Well there was when I posted this.:o

Edited by gwrrob
added detail.
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

With the Cambrian kit now available again, it’s got me wondering what GW engineers trains would look like.  Would it be a long length of ‘Herring’ type wagons, or a mix with the ‘starfish’ type to carry away the spent ballast.   I’m assuming that there wouldn’t be a mix of side tipping and bottom discharge wagons carrying new ballast.

trying to work out how many I would theoretically need...

(apologies for using BR codes...)