GWR "Herring" Ballast Hopper Wagon

I think there were a lot of Herrings used in the Forest of Dean on ballast trains from the quarry.  I bought 2 or 3 kits when I was going to build Drybrook Road and they're still in my stash.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, 5050 said:

I think there were a lot of Herrings used in the Forest of Dean on ballast trains from the quarry.  I bought 2 or 3 kits when I was going to build Drybrook Road and they're still in my stash.

There certainly were .... ours are branded return to Coleford and Chepstow 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Which bit has been re-tooled?, the originals were a bit of a trial in some departments!

Mike.

I'll let you be the judge of that................................:rolleyes:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I've got as many of the "original" kits as I need so may not get/need to build any more, but if some of the issues have been addressed then never say never!

Mike.

What were the issues Mike?

• RMweb Gold

Interestingly, the location of one's layout would influence the length of any given rake of Herring, given the load restrictions on the heavily graded line between Coleford Jct and Coleford itself.

I was reading this morning that empties for the quarry were frequently double-headed, with the second pannier then returning to Coleford Jct for the branch goods and the first pannier going on to the quarry and shunting Coleford.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

What were the issues Mike?

The end body gussets were a woeful fit which was the worst issue, but quite a few parts of the underpinnings were badly moulded, I finished up with one brass W iron, broken when trying to tidy the moulding up, and ISTR the DC brake gear mouldings, v hanger, pivot arms etc were poor.

There's more discussion/info on Adams EM wagon building thread.

Mike.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Interestingly, the location of one's layout would influence the length of any given rake of Herring, given the load restrictions on the heavily graded line between Coleford Jct and Coleford itself.

I was reading this morning that empties for the quarry were frequently double-headed, with the second pannier then returning to Coleford Jct for the branch goods and the first pannier going on to the quarry and shunting Coleford.

Theres a cracking YouTube video of a Herring ops with an NBL type 2 in the FOD but can’t find it this morning...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

The end body gussets were a woeful fit which was the worst issue, but quite a few parts of the underpinnings were badly moulded, I finished up with one brass W iron, broken when trying to tidy the moulding up, and ISTR the DC brake gear mouldings, v hanger, pivot arms etc were poor.

There's more discussion/info on Adams EM wagon building thread.

Mike.

The end gussets still need fettling a tad but not too much trouble! I too have broken a W iron trying to straighten it but managed to rescue ... not trying any more, less risky to set the bearings in a tad. Other mouldings need no more fettling than I would have expected ....

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

The end gussets still need fettling a tad but not too much trouble! I too have broken a W iron trying to straighten it but managed to rescue ... not trying any more, less risky to set the bearings in a tad. Other mouldings need no more fettling than I would have expected ....

We seem to be pretty much of the same opinion Phil, so therefore what has been "re-tooled" I wonder?

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

As soon as I have finished converting my four Dogfish, I shall start on the two Herring kits that I currently have here. One at least will be built with my own 'design' of internal bearing rocking compensation.

I would probably expect to replace some of the moulded underframe detail with brass bits, in all likelihood. I'm realising that I need to add a bit more detail to the Heljan Dogfish around the brake gear area.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

As soon as I have finished converting my four Dogfish, I shall start on the two Herring kits that I currently have here. One at least will be built with my own 'design' of internal bearing rocking compensation.

I would probably expect to replace some of the moulded underframe detail with brass bits, in all likelihood. I'm realising that I need to add a bit more detail to the Heljan Dogfish around the brake gear area.

Cheers ... couldn’t model the main brake shaft under the vac cylinder with tension locks fitted... look forwards to seek by how yours works Capn....

4 hours ago, Re6/6 said:

Mike, do you have a link please for Adams EM wagon building thread.

Thanks.

Sorry, I've been out this morning. The Herring action starts here (five years ago, amazingly). Hope this helps. 

On 07/11/2020 at 11:35, Captain Kernow said:

One at least will be built with my own 'design' of internal bearing rocking compensation.

Tell me more, tell me more , tell me more !!

With apologies to all the Grease fans out there...............

Edited by 5050
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 07/11/2020 at 09:31, Enterprisingwestern said:

We seem to be pretty much of the same opinion Phil, so therefore what has been "re-tooled" I wonder?

Mike.

Well after building the first ten decided a break was needed from fettling gussets .... so decided to make number 10 the end of train wagon, fully fitted trains no van by our era. I could have taken the easy option and made the end without the vac cylinder the tail ... but no, decided to have vac cylinder at free end and therefore full brake gear required... and working tail lamp.

If you feel minded to follow this route first consult your friendly local psychiatrist......

Needed to add additional connectors from square styrene rod to accommodate the wire brake operating rods where they link with the brake operating links at the large v hangers ... and also on the handbrake linkages on the small v hangers. Surprised it all fitted in with the hopper operating levers below the sole bar too... best bet is to leave fitting those till last. 

For pick ups I installed old style Bachmann split axle wheel sets with PB wire pick ups coming down through bottom of hopper... all connections and resistor are within the hopper and will be hidden by a ballast load.

Vac brake pipe and stand Home fabricated, instanter coupling from spares box.

Once the brake gear is on you can’t remove the wheels so this one will have to be hand painted to avoid wheels and pick ups.....

Only 10 more to do .... without the brake gubbins !

93495A61-85E2-42DB-8203-81CB7262128D.jpeg

65E55E2E-D8A2-499E-9BA1-FC7B814D9F11.jpeg

0A199CD3-AAFD-4918-A839-323D48009EA8.jpeg

Edited by Phil Bullock
Photos added
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

On 01/11/2020 at 16:56, Adam said:

Pleased that the Cambrian Herring can be had again. I wouldn't mind building another (and one of Justin's Rumney Models ones - I am mid-way through building a GWR P7 from Southwark Bridge Models, via Roxey). Three or four would be about the maximum I really need for a c.1960 ballast rake... But that's for later.

Here's my first attempt (modelled in mid-60s garb to complement my Catfish and Dogfish).

Herring_21.gif.1e72c8ee14a27c137531331384347f7c.gif

Herring_22.gif.7de7ff0253a40989ca6b7921e5113c86.gif

Adam

That looks very good Adam, I have built 4 and have 5 more not yet started, can I ask who's transfers you used.