GWR "Herring" Ballast Hopper Wagon

• RMweb Gold

Oh no @Captain KernowHope you can rescue it. Did think about your tie bar method but only 4 of my 40 tie bars subsequently came loose and had to be superglued back in place. 

I used superglue .... medium viscosity... for the liquid lead , have weighted mine to 30g as I don’t want it to be too conspicuous when running empty. A spray with accelerator and all is done and secure within seconds. 

Happy new year! Will be steering clear of herring gussets in 2021 next project is bashing some 1/152 coke hoppers from Hornby 1/151s

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Will be steering clear of herring gussets in 2021

Ah gussets, one can never be too careful with them, on Herrings and otherwise.

Edited by Re6/6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Herring number 4 as a work in progress, with number 3 behind, waiting for the paint shop:

20210105_145308.jpg.c08ac237b2898c575dafa48f7d74244c.jpg

Thanks for sharing this snap CK. Very useful indeed for my 3 builds. I am due to return to them shortly. 

I'm awaiting some parts from Lanarkshire Model Supplies then building can resume. 

Cheers, 

Mark 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Talltim said:

Slightly obscure question, is the chassis useful for anything else? Was wondering about using the hopper for a freelance narrow gauge model but the kit is a bit pricey to just stick half in the junk box.

It may be worth asking Cambrian if you can buy just the hopper mouldings.

John Isherwood.

• Agree 1

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, SteamingWales said:

Apologies for dragging this topic up 

I've managed to get hold of 4 these kits and was wondering if there are any pit falls to be aware of when assembling or any photos of a finished wagon?

Thanks in advance ☺️

I would advise starting by reading this very topic.

Mike.

• Agree 1

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 10/09/2023 at 18:01, Phil Bullock said:

Worcester’s 1661 brings a good load of Forest ballast laden herrings up through Pirton yesterday…. 

1653D70D-1510-49FD-A3D6-8C93708D40AF.jpeg.d78f6090154cc0cc0713cb7fc58a2228.jpeg

Out of interest, Phil, how did you do your Herring loads, please?

I've been experimenting with plasticine on a thick card base, but I'm not sure it doesn't add too much weight to the wagon and may be top heavy.

I am also not sure about the plasticine not taking PVA either and the fact that it doesn't ever harden off may now be a disadvantage (I originally liked the fact that it was very malleable and relatively easy to shape into a 'ballast mound' shape).

Thanks.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

I've been experimenting with plasticine on a thick card base, but I'm not sure it doesn't add too much weight to the wagon and may be top heavy.

I am also not sure about the plasticine not taking PVA either and the fact that it doesn't ever harden off may now be a disadvantage (I originally liked the fact that it was very malleable and relatively easy to shape into a 'ballast mound' shape).

Thanks.

I use 5mm foamboard, chamfered at the ends to suit the hopper profile, depending on the ballast profile required it can be shaped with a scalpel, or even a second piece added if necessary.

Minimum additional weight.

Mike.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Thanks.

Afternoon CK

I made a herring sized rectangular mould from timber and started each load with a base of card mounting board. Added another shorter and narrower layer of board on top with a neodymium magnet in the middle. Then added Atwood Aggregates fine ballast on top until I was happy and soaked it with daily shower spray followed by ballast bond glue. Corners cut off base to clear any handrail wire protruding through to inside of hopper.

00291B9D-3E2D-4FF9-8A73-1DC763351075.jpeg.043c71ebc8a1a487f0be8ada7be848f2.jpeg

5D51604C-6532-486E-90E1-55456023F823.jpeg.ac20605df25632c6eb8623490f68b1fd.jpeg

Wagons are weighted to a tare of 30 g with liquid lead … hopefully not too conspicuous when running empty.

F0FA6436-BE46-4999-97FB-C53A66B48434.jpeg.d0b020a28e2753379c74f83f99d15282.jpeg

Loads weigh 10g and sit down to the point where the hopper taper begins. Very happy with their gross weight at 40 g although 1661 struggled with 20 of them …. Happy with 17 though! Ran very well on both Pirton and the new Abbotswood layout. 

Hope that helps

Edited by Phil Bullock
Pictures
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1