Bachmann 24 running issues

I've got a slightly odd problem with my Bachmann 24 (the 4mm version).

It runs OK for a minute or two, and then grinds to a halt and will either sit there motionless (with the controller short circuit light on) or only moves incredibly slowly. Leave it for a while and it;s OK again for a few minutes. I've taken the bogies out and replaced the nearly 20 year old factory grease, but the problem still happens. 

Any ideas what could be causing this? I'm guessing it's something heat related as the loco warms up with a bit of running. 

That made the motor a lot quieter, but the issue hasn't gone away. I ran the mechanism with the cardan shafts disconnected and didn't have the problem, so I've dismantled one of the bogies and it's currently in the ultrasonic cleaner to remove any gunk from the mechanism that the previous clean missed. 

I'm doing them one at a time so I can use the intact one as a reminder of how to put the other one back together.....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pete_mcfarlane said:

...It's now a lot smoother and quieter than when I first got it nearly 20 years ago as well. 

There's a good general learning point in that.   With the same easily recognised generic mechanism design on near all Bach's centre motor models they should all be as good as each other,  barring either a fault or some 'derangement'; and it is worth persisting until they are up to standard. And likewise with Heljan's, Hornby's, <insert manufacturer> generic mechanism designs.

• Like 1