Hello everyone,

Currently in the design stages of a new project that I've decided to take the plunge on. It's a BR (E/NE) region fictional motive power depot based in the transitional period so it will feature mostly steam traction with a couple of early diesels. 

I've attached the plan I've drawn up in N Gauge scale below, I would appreciate it if people would take the time to look at my plan and see if there are any improvements/changes that I should think about implementing. 

Shed 2020 Ngauge.png

Before you get too much further, you might want to consider re-drawing it with streamline points rather than the set-track points you've used for the majority. They really do look awful & totally unrealistic, whereas the longer streamline points are, even if still compromised compared to the real thing, considerably better looking.

• Funny 1

Also your office and general stores buildings would be part of the main structure. Office at the front and stores to the side.

What are the dimensions, particularly the lead into the engine shed from the first point and width of engine shed, looks way better than my attempts

Which is the viewing side?

Thank you for your suggestions everyone.

I'm busy remodelling with the streamline code 55 points now so will hopefully have a better looking layout later on today. The viewing point if it was to be an exhibition layout would be with the shed at the foreground of the layout

The shed is about 9 inches wide, and about 30 inches from the heel of the three way switch to the back of the shed.

31 minutes ago, Gilchrist97 said:

Thank you for your suggestions everyone.

I'm busy remodelling with the streamline code 55 points now so will hopefully have a better looking layout later on today. The viewing point if it was to be an exhibition layout would be with the shed at the foreground of the layout

The shed is about 9 inches wide, and about 30 inches from the heel of the three way switch to the back of the shed.

I would have a think about the viewing side, I don't do exhibitions but according to other RMWebbers they have "lost" some items of rolling stock at shows.  Stationary items of stock so close to the audience may prove to be a temptation.  Most people want to see movement on show layouts and I suspect most of the movement will be around the turntable, coal stage and ash plant? So, I would be tempted to make that the viewing side.

Just a thought,

Steve

33 minutes ago, Gilchrist97 said:

The viewing point if it was to be an exhibition layout would be with the shed at the foreground of the layout

The shed would seem to obscure the turntable, then, which would be a shame because that ought to be a major feature of the layout.

There are a lot of features on the right and not so many on the left so as a composition it might feel unbalanced.

If you could place the turntable opposite the shed that might solve both problems.

1 hour ago, Harlequin said:

If you could place the turntable opposite the shed that might solve both problems.

Otoh, a google search produces a fair few mpd plans along the same general lines as this one, which allows for "rational" operation.

They all seem to be GW and LMS sheds, however.  Is there an LNER precedent for this shed layout?

1 hour ago, Flying Pig said:

Otoh, a google search produces a fair few mpd plans along the same general lines as this one, which allows for "rational" operation.

They all seem to be GW and LMS sheds, however.  Is there an LNER precedent for this shed layout?

Yeah it will be a BR(E/NE) region based shed

23 hours ago, Gilchrist97 said:

Hello everyone,

Currently in the design stages of a new project that I've decided to take the plunge on. It's a BR (E/NE) region fictional motive power depot based in the transitional period so it will feature mostly steam traction with a couple of early diesels. 

I've attached the plan I've drawn up in N Gauge scale below, I would appreciate it if people would take the time to look at my plan and see if there are any improvements/changes that I should think about implementing. 

Shed 2020 Ngauge.png

Good design, nice flow through the coaler to the Turntable t the shed.  Pretty close to what I use and that has worked well for 30 odd years. You could turn it round so the turntable is at the front but then so is the coaler so the shed is obscured.  I would just go with a changeto streamline pointwork.      See doodle for how much worse the revision makes it!

Screenshot (319).png

27 minutes ago, Gilchrist97 said:

Yeah it will be a BR(E/NE) region based shed

Sorry, I got that from your OP.  I meant - have you found a BR(E/NE) shed that has a trackplan similar to your design?

42 minutes ago, Flying Pig said:

Sorry, I got that from your OP.  I meant - have you found a BR(E/NE) shed that has a trackplan similar to your design?

Ah right, I've looked at images of eastern region depots and took inspiration from a couple of different and put them together to get what I've got now

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

575208297_Shed2020Ngauge.jpg.7f928818caba316557ffbabf44d5dea6.jpg

Here's my rough interpretation.  As has been said, it needs rewriting with streamline points throughout.

You need two sidings behind the coal stage; one for full loads, one for empties.  A loaded train is propelled into the sidings, then one at a time they are taken from the full siding to the coal stage, and returned to the empty siding until the full siding is empty and the empty siding is full so that the empties can be taken away.

Getting rid of the silly siding before the road bridge allows you to have longer shed roads.

Leave the roof off the shed (quite common from the 1940s onwards due to subsidence or bombing and the like).

You also need a water tank.

Edited by TonyMay
  • Like 1