GWR Rotank drawings

• RMweb Gold

I am thinking about having a go at building a pair of GW Rotank road rail milk tanks in order to finish off the milk formation for Brent.

Before I start trying to scale from photos, I was hoping someone might be able to point me towards some published drawings. 

has anyone built one?  I’d welcome any advice.

thanks 

Rich 

Great Western - Wagons Plan Book

J.H. Russel - Oxford Publishing Co

ISBN 0 902888 67 6

This book has basic drawings (including dimensions) for-

GWR Milk Tank Trailer Truck, Swindon Nov 1937

Diagram O.48, Lot 1620, Vehicle Nos. 2839 - 46

BR-WR Road/Rail Tank Trailer Truck, Swindon - May - 1949

Diagram DD.8., Lot 1731, Vehicle Nos. 39946 - 52

BR-WR Road/Rail Tank Trailer Truck, Swindon - Sept - 1951

Diagram DD.9., Lot 2370, Vehicle Nos. 748800 - 17

DD.9. is variation of DD. 8.

Hi...Thank you....A work in progress but getting there.

Doing the chassis would be more complex than I could cope with I think, the Dapol is a do for now thing.

The 3 axle trailer was on a longer chassis if im correct so that might be where I print my own 1 day.

DYSON-1.jpg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi Ken......I will be at some point, been distracted by residential drafting and other wagons im doing. I know you were interested before and ive not forgotten.

The covid carry on has made for a strange few months, some days I just put the feet up and watch a good doco on the box.

Hi......I have built several of the gwr Rotank wagons all based on the Hornby Dapol, Lima 6=wheel milk tanker which I have  Used as the wagon.......the actual milk road trailer I have used the coopercraft trailer which occasionally comes up,on e bay I must say that they do not come up very often nowadays........there are a number of pictures of the wagon and trailer in Jim Russell’s great western wagon appendix book which gave me the original idea, unfortunately I have not found any plans for this wagon.....I have attached a photo of the latest offering.......dave Brighty

569044B2-EDED-4D32-8E6E-332ED00C2BB0.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 month later...

In between drawing work for a living, and hobby drawing ive got these primed and running.

Ended up doing my own chassis as using a Dapol rtr was quick but impractical realy.

£10 from Hattons and take the fixed tank off just makes a pile of spare tanks.

Also doing the longer wheelbase wagon for a 3 axle tanker too. 

I dont claim they have etched wagon finnesse, but for a 3d print im getting quite good results.

Amanda......

1.jpg

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Amanda,

These look very good. Hopefully it will not be too long before you make them available to purchase.

A mixed train of 4 wheel and 6 wheel Rotanks together with the more normal 6 wheel tank wagons would be extremely interesting on a model railway.

The attached are some photos of just such trains from a Steam Days and Heritage Rail magazines plus an HMRS one for prototype inspiration.

I wonder if it would be possible to replicate the unloading as a set piece on a model?

Just love the road tractor!

Regards

Ken

image.png.bdc20a3b5bfd2e6a5923723eb065b961.png

image.png.68bce52fff882b7f8bdb27b87ede2682.png

image.png.a84e5c48a27b6a3ececc8539c714fa2c.png

• Like 7

Hi GWR...........Ive been dithering around with these for some months on and off as you remember. The lull in work did give me some spare time to get on with them somewhat, now work is flat out again but im persevering.

The detail in filament 3d is coarser than resin prints so im trying to get the balance right, maybe trying too hard.

Ill certainly have them done in a week or so, playing with the 3 axle tank at the moment, detail is scant witht the fotos of the decrepit example in the rail museum the main source of detail.

Its meant to be a relaxing hobby, somedays theres not enough hours available, especially when I need 1 more test print at midnight!!!!

Amanda...... 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

That lower photo is great - the shortlived initial BRITISH RAILWAYS on the tender.

I too would be interested in a purchase when these come to be manufactured.

Hi....Getting further along but my day job keeps getting in the way.

Im finding more and more how to combine parts I was printing seperately.

The printer as well is ever improving, Cr10s using Cura 4.6.1 currently.

Setings seem to be the biggest variable, currently using Cheps profile in Cura and ive noticed a good improvement over the settings I was using before.

https://www.chepclub.com/cura-profiles.html

No matter the printer they are at the mercy of the variables you use to slice the file.

I cant go past these now ive seen the improvement they make, watch his utube vids to see his approach.

While I do sell wagons on Ebay im happy to ditch them and the near 20% they want, happy to answer any questions and I value suggestions.

Amanda....

5.jpg

6.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Or to avoid the horrendous tax added by UK Customs, is it easier to send the "drawing file" to a UK based "printer" and have them turn them out?  (excuse the terminology).  You then tell us which wheels to buy.

I'm not sure how the 3d printing community works, but we often get CADs done on one country and turned into something in another.

Hi.....Theres a lot of ideas and ways to do this, the discussion re selling stl files for peeps to print at home comes to mind.

I see 3 people with 3 different printers would produce 3 different results unless some standard speci was followed.

Material, layer thickness and print speed etc.

I had not thought I would sell any when I started 18 months ago outside of Oz.

Its primarily for my enjoyment then it evolved into paying for the hobby side, printer and consumables etc.

The spare $ are just for the layout, currently frozen in a kind of time warp needing some tlc, though im able to run wagons around to show they do work.

I am pleased someone finds my efforts of a standard they are happy to pay a price for, but my output is fitted in between my day job.

The ro tanks ive had ticking over since before xmas, no idea the hours ive spent drawing, and at my professional rate they would be unaffordable.

I have 15 small tanks and 3 of the 3 axle tanks on the bench currently, with 3 each of the short and long base wagons to go with them.

Someone wants some of My Aeros so im printing a few pieces im short there, plus I need a few more gas tank wagons so their in the queue as well.

Thankfully I play the long game with this taking the pleasure from the result. 

Im currently snowed with building drawing too here, our gov as part of its covid recovery has initiated a $25,000 grant to new home builders here.

The 2 builders I draw for have been swamped with people who now find they are within reach of building a house.

Just not enough hours in the day sometimes.............

Amanda......north coast Tasmania.........cold and orrible currently..............

• Friendly/supportive 2

Free trade deal..........that would be a great idea.......googled and read the web page on it.......most went over my head.

Think the best I can currently do is mark on the ridiculously large label aus pot has as a "gift" with a value low enough so you guys dont get too stung...........

A

Heres a test tank for anyone to try out.

Drawn in Autocad using solid modelling.

It could be refined more but ive been distracted by other things.......

The stl is ready to slice.

I print on a Cr10s using the cheps profile I posted a link to earlier in Cura 4.6.1.

Print layer at .1mm, infill say 10%, no support as it realy dosent need it.

Mind you ive not printed this for 6 months so it should print cleaner than the pictured example on that profile.

Or if you have a well sorted print profile show us what you can do.

Try it modify it bend it bust it, its quite a simple model.

Amanda....

20190805_165636.jpg

TEST TANK.stl TEST_TANK.dwg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That is very kind of you Amanda - those tanks are just great for so many uses - a road tanker or trailer, or on a pile of sleepers behind a building in a yard for filling up the trucks, or on a farm yard, or as a raised up static fuel tank in a "rickety" premises like a scrap yard - either to fill the truck and the plant, or to store all that drained out oil for recovery....

If only I understood (or knew someone who did) 3d printing.

There's lots of us who make a  bit of pocket money to fund the hobby - and you are right, you can't put your time on top or else it wouldn't be worth doing.

I look forward to the ROTANKs going on sale in some shape or form.  I can add them to my MOREL order.

• Agree 1

Hi Amanda,

I know the quality of your work having purchased several of your other items previously and I am happy to continue to purchase these four and six wheel rotanks with wagon chassis as and when you are able to complete them to the point you are prepared to sell the results of your deliberations.

I will, as always, continue to promote your items in the  Great Western Study Group Newsletter as being suitable for other members in 4mm to use on their layouts. It seems you are already getting a following for these particular items here and I'm sure when the next Newsletter is published you may have some more. We have members over in Australia so not all your potential sales may require the International element.

Unfortunately I do not have the current capability for 3D printing so I will continue to rely on the International Postal service for my items.

I hope your workload, whilst remaining highly rewarding financially,  does not preclude you continuing with your hobby.  :)

Regards

Ken

Membership Secretary

Great Western Study Group

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, Gordon A said:

They look like oval petroleum tankers?

They would be suitable for petroleum products, and water and quite a lot of chemical traffic.................up until the 70s when these sorts of tanks would be only good for water and static use on farms and yards.  I sometimes see old 70s tanks on repurposed artic trailers on farms, but I haven't seen this style of tank anywhere for 20 years.  I guess they all got to a point where they leaked and got cut up.

19 hours ago, M.I.B said:

They would be suitable for petroleum products, and water and quite a lot of chemical traffic.................up until the 70s when these sorts of tanks would be only good for water and static use on farms and yards.  I sometimes see old 70s tanks on repurposed artic trailers on farms, but I haven't seen this style of tank anywhere for 20 years.  I guess they all got to a point where they leaked and got cut up.

The Rotank at Didcot has a circular cross-section, not oval, iirc?

• Agree 4