Interlaken and Wengen

David Bell

1 hour ago, vectispete said:

I just love how there are flowers everywhere and everything looks so clean. Even with the loco repair yard at Meiringen I have never seen a single photo with any litter anywhere.

My first impression of Swiss railways was arriving at Wilderswil station to find an employee down the far end apparently hoovering the platforms. Turned out to be a quiet leaf-blower, but even so! 

You do get some graffiti in the more urban areas though.

And from my most recent trip, in 2019, more Schynige Platte and Brienzer Rothorn:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

@David Bell

Hi David, in your BOB photographs do you have one/any from 2013 (or earlier) in which coaches 211, 212, 213, 214, or 215 can be identified? In the 2010 'Jungfraubahenen' publication by Wolfgang Finke they are in the blue/yellow livery, but are still composites so are prefixed AB. In 2014 I realised that they had had the first class section downclassed, so were B211 etc. I'm wondering when the declassification occurred.

In 2018 they were out of use.

Also - did you manage to get any detailed pictures of the centre axle of the six wheeled coaches when they were still around? Wolfgang Finke is rather sketchy when it comes to underframe details.

Dave

Edited by DIW
Typo

Dave,

Still looking through the pictures of BOB coaches, have not found a composite yet, just first and second class. They will be there though!

In the meantime, I found this, I am not sure it is one of mine to be fair

BOB C329 at Zweilutschinen.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Have you got a photo of the rack lubrication wagon? I glimpsed it once in a passing loop, and it appeared to be not much more than a chassis with an oil drum mounted on it and an applicator pointing at the rack rail.

On 19/05/2020 at 13:29, brack said:

Absolutely. The old liveries look a hundred times better than the horrible new ones. The old colour/cream liveries enhanced the look of the stock, looked nice in the landscape and were recognisably swiss. The new ones are pretty ugly. Likewise the old stock from the 50s on had a family resemblance on all railways, which is now sadly lost and replaced by boxy, ugly things.

I wouldn't mind new liveries per se, but why do they have to pick such vile shades of the colours concerned? There are some lovely greens out there so it's a mystery why the BLS, of all the greens they could have picked, chose that god-awful dayglow shade. It's positively hideous!

• Agree 2

30 minutes ago, eastwestdivide said:

Have you got a photo of the rack lubrication wagon? I glimpsed it once in a passing loop, and it appeared to be not much more than a chassis with an oil drum mounted on it and an applicator pointing at the rack rail.

I dont think I ever photographed it  

Did find a picture of it in a book (photo credited to A Seiler) 

20200523_111403.jpg

• Like 2

On 21/05/2020 at 10:39, eastwestdivide said:

I just love how there are flowers everywhere and everything looks so clean. Even with the loco repair yard at Meiringen I have never seen a single photo with any litter anywhere.

It wasn't always thus. I intend to model the Swiss railways when they looked like this in the 1970s. Before the Bahn 2000 programme, the SBB was almost as starved of cash as British Railways was so they were a bit clapped out and filthy. Just look at the colour of those coaches! It's a weathering fanatic's dream! There were also functioning goods yards with shunting and trip operations that BR lost in the early sixties together with some very old and, to me at least, beautiful old rod coupled electric locos doing a lot of the work right up until the late eighties. It was all very characterful and far more interesting than it is now. (Photo credited to Max Hintermann)

max01427.jpg

Edited by Swissrail
  • Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I also loved the old Swiss station designs where the platforms were very low and if you needed to get to another platform, you simply walked across the track! It was like that in Lauterbrunnen until 2015. (Max Hintermann's photos)

max01224.jpg

mh_02501.jpg

Edited by Swissrail
  • Like 14

I love this era of Swiss Railways though I did not see it in person. My first trip to Switzerland was in 1986, when I was lucky enough to go on the Glacier Express from Zermatt to St Moritz. I was though to see a heritage train on the mainline at Spiez a couple of years ago. The coaches were either green or deep red (all shiny clean). Quite a sight.

• Like 1

Here a selection of photos of the BLM. The railway part of this system must be the flatest metre gauge mountain railway in Switzerland. I have often thought that Murren would make  good micro layout. The downside is the lack of variety of stock. If you are not too fussed about allowing interlopers to appear it would make a good wee layout. I had thought at one stage that a version in Om using Fama/UTZ/Roco Alpineline would be good. I still have some stock which could be kitbashed into shape. Who knows, a future project perhaps

DSC_0115.JPG

DSC_0118.JPG

DSC_0112.JPG

DSC_0116.JPG

• Like 7