Interlaken and Wengen

David Bell

• RMweb Premium

Thanks David . Because of your posting I was moved to look out my albums from 88 and 90 . I have a pic exactly like the one you’ve posted . Superb . I’ve never known how to post pics on here or I’d be tempted  to join in . 

I even love the grubby 1970s photos. 

For my my model I am modelling the era of 1970s-80s so to see these photos shows that I need to get my weathering skills up to speed. I have a few Bemo coaches ordered. How many coaches would there have been in the train in this era? Modern photos so up to 10 coaches in a rake.

keep these Brunigbahn photos coming gents, really great to see them.

Pete

If you want a veritable tresure trove of around 2,500 Swiss photos from the 50s to the early 2000s, look no further than this site:

https://bahnbilder-von-max.ch/

If this doesn't inspire you, nothing will!

And when it comes to Brünig Bahn pictures, this one of Max's is my favourite:

max01018.jpg

Edited by Swissrail
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Does anyone know a site containing Brünig Bahn track plans. There appears to be more going on at both Brünig Hasilberg and Brienz on older photos compared to google maps views of present day. 

Otherwise maybe there here is a publication out there? 

Pete

2 hours ago, Swissrail said:

If you want a veritable tresure trove of around 2,500 Swiss photos from the 50s to the early 2000s, look no further than this site:

https://bahnbilder-von-max.ch/

If this doesn't inspire you, nothing will!

And when it comes to Brünig Bahn pictures, this one of Max's is my favourite:

max01018.jpg

Yes it is one of mine too. It is amazing how busy Giswil looks, with coach storage apparent. Both Giswil and Meiringen locos present too.

13 hours ago, vectispete said:

Does anyone know a site containing Brünig Bahn track plans. There appears to be more going on at both Brünig Hasilberg and Brienz on older photos compared to google maps views of present day. 

Otherwise maybe there here is a publication out there? 

Pete

I find this site good for current European track plans, not to scale but gives a good idea of the layout, combined with Google maps or similar and you get a good feel for the track layout.

http://www.sporenplan.nl/

For historic maps the "Journey through time maps" on the Swisstopo website are superb

https://www.swisstopo.admin.ch/

Thank you guys - very helpful. 

I now have fairly accurate siding lengths and can therefore judge fairly well the lengths of the stations I wish to model. 

I have decided to use the majority of the track plan of Meiringen as my fiddle yard. It seems pointless to have such a large area as a hidden fiddle yard when I can add some scenery and actually spend more time, probably fiddling the yards than using the other 2 intended stations, Brünig and Brienz.

• RMweb Gold

My last trip was back in 2008 although I went up the other side of the valley. I haven’t been to Wengen since the early 80’s. 
This I caught back in 83 at Wilderswil, Heidi now back to its original home on the RhB :)

DB3E1B63-C3A0-4DE0-8ED8-F0D9A29B08A5.jpeg.a27ec33bea8a2fb024587c8afe6fbd5e.jpeg

Anyway 2008

CED1A4F3-E0AD-47B7-A457-10D45FFCC034.jpeg.6f26f1baa858cbc14105bcff62482465.jpeg

4DEB988A-227C-4C0A-A3FC-744D8CFBDCEE.jpeg.c377937dd860c5a8e1addb9b86a3f957.jpeg

Lauterbrunnen

A4680399-784F-4170-9F95-7ADE3F52E9DC.jpeg.f6c09d0a5ccc9a3964335e123dd39cc3.jpeg

627049C5-0257-41A8-86C2-2D528924C8FB.jpeg.710b90a517cccc45ee96c74cce68fddb.jpeg

Murren

A4FDFB30-1383-4845-B3BC-A742AD016F2F.jpeg.782caa1afe1976bc555410611db5a663.jpeg

From the Schilthorn

41B11814-ECFB-47CC-AC5A-A2C252D80B9A.jpeg.5e4095141a5d21a6dccc897642f623d9.jpeg

back down from Murren

579BD05A-4DE4-4DC3-97EF-865E79D8CDB6.jpeg.313178318aba1038c9c18ba74c8c797d.jpeg

and back to Interlaken 

B70757E3-4D17-43A0-BBAF-0C732A58D519.jpeg.d820c558075268252c01d1b554d1e92a.jpeg

• Like 17

Hi David,

Thanks for all the interesting photos. I don't have the space for modelling Interlaken even though it would be a brilliant spot to model. I am however thinking about something much smaller based on the area. Possibly based very very losely on Därlingen or Lessingen. I was also interested by the quary Rigips AG and that little section. A very small simple layout for the space I have and although not the full possibility of workings that Interlaken gives, it would still allow both SBB and BLS workings plus a TGV and ICE service. 

Thanks again for posting the interesting photos. 

All the best,

Dave

1 hour ago, DavidMcKenzie said:

Hi David,

Thanks for all the interesting photos. I don't have the space for modelling Interlaken even though it would be a brilliant spot to model. I am however thinking about something much smaller based on the area. Possibly based very very losely on Därlingen or Lessingen. I was also interested by the quary Rigips AG and that little section. A very small simple layout for the space I have and although not the full possibility of workings that Interlaken gives, it would still allow both SBB and BLS workings plus a TGV and ICE service. 

Thanks again for posting the interesting photos. 

All the best,

Either would make a good model and the variety of stock which you see on that line is brilliant. I remember a very good model of Darlingen in N gauge in the press a few years ago. And of course the station building is available as a kit if you are thinking of HO (Kibri I think?) 

Cheers

David

• Like 1

4 hours ago, David Bell said:

Either would make a good model and the variety of stock which you see on that line is brilliant. I remember a very good model of Darlingen in N gauge in the press a few years ago. And of course the station building is available as a kit if you are thinking of HO (Kibri I think?) 

Cheers

David

Not Kibri, it is a Vollmer kit

I have been considering Därligen as the basis for my planned (in the loosest possible sense) attic layout and have Vollmer the station. I am also thinking of including the gravel loading works and warehouse type siding just to the east of Leissigen to add some shunting /freight interest.

If you want some extra variety you could always recreate an event such as the 2010 Interlaken dampffest which saw a lot of unusual workings down the branch, from memory on the standard gauge the following all ran:

DB 01 202

DB 64 518

ÖBB 52 221

SNCF 241.A.65

Eb 3/5 5810

Be 6/8 13302

De 4/4259 

All this along with the usual steam on the Brünig and some visiting steam working to Zweilütschnen, a great weekend, just a pity it rained for 2 days

VVT 52221 241.A.65 13302 259 BDB 1067 DBB 5810

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Därligen is a very attractive location with lots of potential and I’m pretty sure I’ve seen video of an ICE stopping there. It was only to let another train pass but it did stop. 

• Like 1

On 19/05/2020 at 16:18, MOB FAN said:

Great photos.

I first visited Interlaken in 1996. Things sure have changed.

Any pics of the meter gauge SBB zebra or Panoramic Express cars? Looks like the BEMO stock on these has dried up.

Here are a couple

zb train at interlaken 002.jpg

interlaken ost brunigbahn loco.jpg

090926_Interlaken_Ost_IMG_4443.JPG

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Lovely stuff David. Many thanks.

Do you perchance have any of Göschenen? My most favourite train watching location. All those lengthy freights disappearing into the tunnel!

17 minutes ago, Re6/6 said:

Lovely stuff David. Many thanks.

Do you perchance have any of Göschenen? My most favourite train watching location. All those lengthy freights disappearing into the tunnel!

I never went there, though I know it from pictures. I can see why it is your favourite place. It is pretty dramatic scenery

• Like 1