Interlaken and Wengen

David Bell

• RMweb Premium

This one is one of my favourites .  BLS is it an Re4/4? In the beautiful stately brown livery of BLS . The sticker on the loco and the signal box celebrates 75 years of the BLS in 1988 . This is my favourite colour of train , brown loco and blue/cream BLS coaches . I believe Rivarossi do a model of the loco. This is Brig and I’m about to get on train to climb over the Lötschberg (no base tunnel then) the line had recently been doubled and could quite easily be identified climbing the side of the Rhone valley with Visp below . Really an outstanding journey through the Lötschberg tunnel and then down through the loops at Blausee Mitholz  to Spiez where change trains back to Interlaken .   I can’t remember if I had just made the journey to Brig because I wanted to travel the line, or if I was coming back from Zermatt on the BVZ , there are pics of that somewhere.........

6F568A5A-3E6C-40A3-974D-19A236476E0E.jpeg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, David Bell said:

I am seriously tempted to model this wee loco in Om or perhaps larger as a one off project. Mind you I say that about almost every train I see!

DSC_0549.JPG

DSC_0548.JPG

DSC_0547.JPG

I made a model of a similar RhB version for the garden line (1:22.5 scale - 45mm gauge) but from start to finish it took about 17 years - but that did involve some pattern making for whitemetal axle boxes and springs etc, along with getting custom made rub-down transfers and works plates. In the meantime LGB brought out their version - but I like mine!

P1060904.jpg.135425024032dd070bb0c5bd07e8b262.jpg

P1060905.jpg.f0aefe9f34c7d93e57e4988266646ccb.jpg

P1060907.jpg.a8f3b420b5cbd733e862a04cc5ab37d4.jpg

It normally runs coupled to a LGB van which carries the battery pack and R/C gear - although there is a switch to change to track power, but it is rarely used.

Regards

Chris H

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, JohnDMJ said:

It's now in the loft of the Post Bus depot in Meiringen:

https://www.facebook.com/Modellbahn-Meiringen-279002189156335/

Thanks for that.

I found this link (translated) on the history of it:

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://modellbahn-meiringen.ch/&prev=search

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, David Bell said:

I am seriously tempted to model this wee loco in Om or perhaps larger as a one off project. Mind you I say that about almost every train I see!

DSC_0547.JPG

Alpinline did one in RhB if you can find it although it is their rather poor chassis. 
6C71E685-DF49-4899-98A5-09E06A00D97C.jpeg.95ab590d8ef10a262371cae2234f9966.jpeg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

View over Wengen . You can make out the station . I think this is from an ascending train on the way to Kleine Scheidegg 

9BE43664-B2D9-4253-93E0-6BC3376A024A.jpeg

Edited by Legend
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

In another rare bit of exercise I thought the smart move was a hike downhill from Kleine Scheidegg to Grindlewald. Beats going up hill I though . Well I found muscles I never knew I had , with aches on back of legs and lower back , probably the strain of walking downhill at length . It was such a relief getting to the BOB at Grindlewald , but a very enjoyable walk ! Anyway here’s a picture on the way down . I think the train is around Brandegg with Grindlewald in distance 

41149526-3D31-45BD-A644-7ED32F9CF181.jpeg

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Legend said:

In another rare bit of exercise I thought the smart move was a hike downhill from Kleine Scheidegg to Grindlewald. Beats going up hill I though . Well I found muscles I never knew I had , with aches on back of legs and lower back , probably the strain of walking downhill at length . It was such a relief getting to the BOB at Grindlewald , but a very enjoyable walk ! Anyway here’s a picture on the way down . I think the train is around Brandegg with Grindlewald in distance 

This bit is all double track now as is the bit above Wengen. When they completed the double track above Wengen in 2013 the whole timetable changed. Prior to the new track going in trains crossed at Wengen station. This meant the station was quiet for 25 minutes then a busy period where both up and down trains crossed using platforms 2 and 3 and sometimes 4. Now the trains cross above Wengen and the up and down trains alternate through Wengen every 15 minutes or so. A consequence of this is all the trains use platform 2 in the main apart from the late night shuttle to Lauterbrunnen which uses the dead end platform 1. Here are a couple of pictures of the double track above Wengen.

DSC_0005.JPG

DSC_0003.JPG

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Legend said:

Reminds me of the apple fritters at the restaurant near the station...

• Like 1

I have just been in contact with some friends in Wengen. Restaurants, hairdressers and shops are all open, though with some restrictions. Cable cars are operating. They say the village is coming back to life. All we need to do now is figure out how to get there!

In the meantime here is a picture to give us cheer

DSC_0291.JPG

• Like 9