Interlaken and Wengen

David Bell

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, MichaelE said:

Seems strange not seeing buffers on Euro equipment. It looks like the coupler pocket functions as the buffer.

Centre buffers, with several attachment options of hooks or auto couplings, have been common on European narrow gauge since its inception. Twin buffers are rarer although used quite extensively with dual gauge transporter rollbocke bogies at one time.

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, MichaelE said:

Seems strange not seeing buffers on Euro equipment. It looks like the coupler pocket functions as the buffer.

5 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Centre buffers, with several attachment options of hooks or auto couplings, have been common on European narrow gauge since its inception. Twin buffers are rarer although used quite extensively with dual gauge transporter rollbocke bogies at one time.

Given that the curves on narrow gauge lines can be much tighter than on main lines (dictated, mostly, by terrain) two buffers will derail the train by the phenomenon of buffer lock. The central coupler / buffer device circumvents this.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Following on from Ullypug's pictures of the Schynige Platte Bahn in 2017, I thought that I'd add some pictures from earlier years.

I'll start with loco number 12 at Schynige Platte in Teddyland livery. This one is from 2002:

392625008_SchynigePlatteStation-SPBTeddylandloco.JPG.5945ad91e5faaf3f51d45e2cdc84fe20.JPG

This was to be part of promoting Schynige Platte as a children's destination. There was a tie-in book called 'Der Verlorenen Schraube' (The Lost Screw), the finding of said screw is depicted on the front of the locomotive. Each side had a different illustration from the story.

There was a teddybear exhibition in the Schynige Platte hotel. Even the carriages had teddy bears:

1364342540_SPBclimbingTeddyBears(1).JPG.7916d017dc590b358d2824ff33d520a8.JPG

(Also 2002).

A few months back there was a thread which discussed through carriages and carriage swapping between BOB and SBB Brunig. Here from 2003 is a pair of SBB Brunig carriages at Wilderswil:

574001776_SP(1)WilderswilstationSBBBrunigcoaches.jpg.bc946b46e68508da76035da3024af62b.jpg

Finally, still on the theme of swapped stock, here is a picture of Wilderswil from 2005. What's that in the SPB sidings? Only a WAB ABeh4/4 and its Abt!

715106733_004WilderswilStationWABBDhe4-4No105andSPB.thumb.jpg.f0b89ea581652c29bd6971f8358de1fa.jpg

It was there as part of experimentation to see if the units would fit on the SPB. Unfortunately not many experimental runs had been made when the unit was damaged beyond repair by the Lutschine river bursting its bank and flooding the station and the old area of Wilderswil.

As far as I am aware, not further experiments have been made with ABeh4/4s, despite recorded concerns about the future availability of parts and skills to keep the old He2/2s running.

Edited by DIW
Pictures re-uploaded
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Lovely photos on this thread. 

As part of my Father’s Day present yesterday I was allowed a ‘virtual train ride’ by my youngest. 

Not sure if you’ve seen it but this cab ride from Lauterbrunnen to Kleine Sheidegg on the WAB is an interesting view of the line:

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Some BOB coaches in the current livery. I did at one stage respray and reletter a Roco Alpinline Om coach to this livery. I made some graphics in Word and printed them on transfer paper. A photo of the word document is attached. They worked pretty well though of course the coach is not quite accurate.

20200622_151131.jpg

DSC_0012.JPG

DSC_0034(1).JPG

DSC_0011(1).JPG

BOB Graphics (2).docx

• Like 5

Attached are pictures of the goods transhipment facility which is underneath Wengen station. I have often thought you could use this as a them for a small layout, especially if you added a third track to make it a little more interesting to operate.

20190209_114344.jpg

20190209_114316.jpg

20190209_114414.jpg

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 14/06/2020 at 10:11, bantam61668 said:

This weekend sees the last workings of ICE1 sets to Interlaken, here are a couple of pictures of them in Switzerland  from over the years. Never thought I would miss them and usually trad to avoid traveling on them in favour of a "proper" loco but they are no doubt better than their replacements and were one of the most comfortable trains around

ICE 401573 ICE

:( that's a shame, I wish I'd paid them more attention on my recent trips as well now.

There's plenty of pictures of the other end of the ZB around Luzern on my holiday pictures thread, but I can't remember taking many at Interlaken when we passed through a couple of years ago. Enjoying lunch in an almost empty buffet coach around the lake on the run from Interlaken to Bern was very good though :)

• Like 1

Hi I've just recently decided to get back into Model Railways having not done anything since I was a child ... 40+ years ago and having been a frequent visitor to Wengen for all of my 50+ years I thought I'd loosely base it on the WAB, loosely because I can't afford to go to HOe but can probably just about afford to modify HOm. Also I don't have the space to be able to recreate the 175m long platform 2 at Wengen :-( 

I can however answer one question I saw asked earlier by eastwestdivide . The offset doors at the ends of the coaches allowed the guard to move between them to collect tickets usually accompanied by the request "Alles billet a bitte" Quite impressive as there is just a tiny step on the outside by each door, the guard would exit the carriage close and lock one door behind him with one foot on each step before unlocking the next door. Not easy especially if the train was packed and you need to get peoples attention to move away from the door so you could get in, one of the old guards actually had a club foot with a big built up boot to compensate, imagine in the middle of winter in -10C doing that with ice on the steps and a blizzard ! The modern trains are corridor connected so no issues there but the doors on the end allow access out not just in tunnels but also in winter you can have very little space either side of the train when the snowblower has cut the route so access to front or rear away from the station might need this.

Anyway I made a start on my station, some of you might recognize this, though it is not finished yet I think it should be clear where I'm going ;-)

One thing that has me confused, Wengen uses roller shutter doors for its goods area yet it has a catenary system, anyone know how that works ? I've not seen any close up pics to be able to work it out.

Wengen Canopy.jpg

2 hours ago, DGO said:

Hi I've just recently decided to get back into Model Railways having not done anything since I was a child ... 40+ years ago and having been a frequent visitor to Wengen for all of my 50+ years I thought I'd loosely base it on the WAB, loosely because I can't afford to go to HOe but can probably just about afford to modify HOm. Also I don't have the space to be able to recreate the 175m long platform 2 at Wengen :-( 

I can however answer one question I saw asked earlier by eastwestdivide . The offset doors at the ends of the coaches allowed the guard to move between them to collect tickets usually accompanied by the request "Alles billet a bitte" Quite impressive as there is just a tiny step on the outside by each door, the guard would exit the carriage close and lock one door behind him with one foot on each step before unlocking the next door. Not easy especially if the train was packed and you need to get peoples attention to move away from the door so you could get in, one of the old guards actually had a club foot with a big built up boot to compensate, imagine in the middle of winter in -10C doing that with ice on the steps and a blizzard ! The modern trains are corridor connected so no issues there but the doors on the end allow access out not just in tunnels but also in winter you can have very little space either side of the train when the snowblower has cut the route so access to front or rear away from the station might need this.

Anyway I made a start on my station, some of you might recognize this, though it is not finished yet I think it should be clear where I'm going ;-)

One thing that has me confused, Wengen uses roller shutter doors for its goods area yet it has a catenary system, anyone know how that works ? I've not seen any close up pics to be able to work it out.

Wengen Canopy.jpg

That is instantly recognisable. I am looking forward to seeing your version of Wengen develop. Attached is a close up of the goods shed. The overhead seems to stop at the door.

Cheers

David

20190209_114322.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks looks like only the wagons get pushed in, makes sense and makes it easier to unload with that big overhead crane I can see through the doors 

One reason I want to do an HOm version is because I also plan to do a snowblower with as many working bits as I can, now the WAB versions are OK but the Jungfraubahn has the Ferrari of snowblowers  I've only just started the model for this though 

David2029324750_showimagerote4.jpg.037e9c1551d99ae886394817d80d835b.jpg

Blower 1.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Is there any connection between the lower level infrastructure on the north side with that on the south?

There's a siding in the station alongside some hoppers that discharge onto the lower level and there is another building with doors at the end of the access road, which seems to have low level rail access at the opposite end.

https://goo.gl/maps/5WNpqcYHpjRoJHXn7

https://goo.gl/maps/7TUxMtn1scZ5LQ7Z6

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, DGO said:

Thanks looks like only the wagons get pushed in, makes sense and makes it easier to unload with that big overhead crane I can see through the doors 

One reason I want to do an HOm version is because I also plan to do a snowblower with as many working bits as I can, now the WAB versions are OK but the Jungfraubahn has the Ferrari of snowblowers  I've only just started the model for this though 

David2029324750_showimagerote4.jpg.037e9c1551d99ae886394817d80d835b.jpg

There is an irony about the JB having such a top-notch snowplough.

The current build of the new cableway from Rothenegg (near Grindelwald-Grund) to Eigergletscher, and the new works at Eigergletscher appear to remove entirely the need for a snowplough to be involved in the business of transporting the lucrative half-day-tour-to-Jungfraujoch-so-you're-not-away-from-the Rolex-shops-in-Interlaken-for-too-long clientele. No need any more to rely upon the skiers to keep the JB ticking over in winter!

Here is the new station at Rothenegg. The BOB is on the right, the new terminal for the Mannlichenbahn is in the middle and the new Eigergletscher cableway terminus is on the left. Far left is (I think) a multi-storey carpark under construction.

Here is where the new cableway arrives at Eigergletscher, next to the Eigernordwand chairlift. Tunnels have been made through the rock to the railway on the other side of the outcrop.

A new construction has been made at Eigergletscher station. Where the double track becomes single leading up to the main railway tunnel, the rock face has been cut back to allow doubling - the catenary masts have been moved for this too. Recently a new avalanche shelter type construction has been started on the widened section. Furthermore, the new building seems to have two train-sized doors at the uphill end. I would speculate that the new scheme will allow for covered JB operation all the way from Eigergletscher to Junfraujoch.

There are other cams available in the area by following the links in the cam views I have added above.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

52 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Is there any connection between the lower level infrastructure on the north side with that on the south?

There's a siding in the station alongside some hoppers that discharge onto the lower level and there is another building with doors at the end of the access road, which seems to have low level rail access at the opposite end.

https://goo.gl/maps/5WNpqcYHpjRoJHXn7

https://goo.gl/maps/7TUxMtn1scZ5LQ7Z6

I'm not quite sure what happens on the other side, you have gravel bins at the far end of the track on the upper level that drop into trucks on the lower road to be used for gritting in the winter, theres also a connection for fuel oil at the same end of the building on that side, Graf delivers this around the village in a small truck with a tanker on the back and it's their name on the Tanker that's loaded on the train. You can just make out the Silver offloading pipe on the wall of the wood clad building about a foot from the corner.

At the Lauterbrunnen end of the structure there are stairs down from platform level, a train height roller door and to the right of that a double door person height  

I'm going to be honest here and say that on my layout I intend to keep my snowblower in there and a little workshop that you will be able to see through the windows, mainly because I'm an engineer and I want a little workshop on the layout , but also because once upon a time the WAB used to keep the snowplough in Wengen during the winter

40 minutes ago, DIW said:

There is an irony about the JB having such a top-notch snowplough.

The current build of the new cableway from Rothenegg (near Grindelwald-Grund) to Eigergletscher, and the new works at Eigergletscher appear to remove entirely the need for a snowplough to be involved in the business of transporting the lucrative half-day-tour-to-Jungfraujoch-so-you're-not-away-from-the Rolex-shops-in-Interlaken-for-too-long clientele. No need any more to rely upon the skiers to keep the JB ticking over in winter!

JB hasn't needed skiers for some time if ever really, not so the WAB, on the plus side it will mean the the Chinese tourists no longer use the grass by the church in Lauterbrunnen for a toilet ... I kid you not :-( ... as they will all arrive by coach at the car park in Grund, The skiers are not overly worried they think it will mean less day trippers on the trains during the winter so more space for them, they may well be right.

I'm not sure but there used to be workshops for the Jungfraubahn at eigergletscher and I think the new construction may be replacing those so it's possible that this is what the doors are for or it may well be a covered platform to keep the tourists out of the worst of the weather, they will still be using the snowblower for some time I expect 

• Like 1

Progress on my Wengen Station 3d model

So I've changed the canopy framework to allow for the fact that they got rid of one track at Wengen and then moved track two further from the station building that meant they needed to extend the canopy by about 2M (guess)

I've made a start on the station building, I think I might need to increase the height of the first floor by a scale 200mm or so but I have at least finished the masonry for the ground floor

I have included a closeup to show a bit of the detail, each bit of roof panel works out at 10 to 20 MB ! not sure why I decided to include the tile clips but there you go LOL 

Wengen Station Front.jpg

Wengen 2.jpg

Wengen Details.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

11 minutes ago, DIW said:

Are you aware that here is a clock tower on the station roof? It is hard to see from the platform since the canopy has been built, but is still visible from the adjacent green (and on Google street view)

Yup there's also windows in the first and second floor, windows and doors to go in various openings, internal walls a roof over the canopy frame and the ground floor extension, snow rails round the edge of the roof plus two chimneys and various metalwork including a huge skylight over the ground floor extension.... Like I said work in progress ;-) I have no plans or elevations so I'm working off a map to get the rough foot print plus overhead pics and some hi resolution photographs from a number of sources including my memory, I don't think I'm doing too badly 

• Like 2