Interlaken and Wengen

David Bell

2 hours ago, DIW said:

Would you be better with the Peco 009 track as far as gauging is concerned?  Although there of course is the drawback that SL404 (009) is code 80 against the SL1400 (H0m) which is code 75.

I may be better off just buying the bare rails if I end up 3d printing the sleepers with chairs, I will admit I'm going to stick with my re imagined WAB in meter gauge if only for the fact that it's a little easier to fit things in the available space, for instance I'm probably going to have to mount the gears off center if I want to have both axels on a bogie being driven with only one driving the rack, 2 rack cogs in one 2.6m bogie would be asking for trouble I think, but one at each end of the carriage should be fine, need a minimum 2 per train or it will slip on the points if they are more than a few percent gradient :-(

I also had a look at how the strub points work, very clever but in HO scale they would require some very tiny pivots to work and result in a thickness of just 0.1mm where the rack passes over the rails which is probably pushing things beyond sensible, by having my own rack I can however leave just a tiny gap in the rack I should also be able to make custom shapes for the fed from horizontal to gradient and gradient to horizontal 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DIW said:

I've had a look at my stuff, and it seems that there is no longer any sign of Bemo Straub - not even in the instructions for converting my Brunig locos from (factory supplied) Abt to Straub (gears for which are included with discrete locos).

I'll look out his detai8ls and PM them.

I can see that with the quantities that you envisage, it certainly becomes worth your while to take the bespoke route!

Would you be better with the Peco 009 track as far as gauging is concerned?  Although there of course is the drawback that SL404 (009) is code 80 against the SL1400 (H0m) which is code 75.

My apologies to David Bell for the drift from his thread!

No apologies necessary. I am sure there are others interested in this discussion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 01/07/2020 at 11:09, DGO said:

Allmend tiny station building with massive platforms, this is the other problem about modelling the WAB not only is the track just 800mm gauge with a rack rail but you have little stations with huge platforms, Wengernalp station serves the hotel, a total of 3 buildings and a shed but the platform is 181 meters long, Allmend is only really there to let people get to the top of the Lauberhorn Slalom course and to take skiers back down the mountain when there's not enough snow to ski back to the village but again platforms well over 100M long LOL  Don't mind me I'm just fed up because I found a better pic online and realise I've made a mistake with my 3d model. I 'd been looking everywhere for a pic of the interior of the station ticket office at Wengen as I was sure I'd seen one, there is a full 360 one as well, it's just that google has labeled it as the post office !  Unfortunately it shows the floor beams in glorious detail, enough for me to instantly go, oh ...

So I'm going to simplify the roof detail of the model, because there's no 3d printer on the market right now that can resolve the level of detail I can show, instead I'm going to lazer cut the tiles in strips and stick them on the top, the bright side of this is that it makes the models significantly smaller 

When I've finished would anyone be interested in essentially a kit of parts to build Wengen station, including the station building, the goods transfer shed and the smaller shed on the other side of the tracks  Plus the canopy ? It's likely to be a mix of 3d printed resin parts and laser cut details in wood and .

This passing loop above Allmend might be an alternative to a station with long platforms. It is on a curve too which helps

DSC_0165.JPG

DSC_0164.JPG

DSC_0161.JPG

DSC_0159.JPG

DSC_0156.JPG

• Like 3

I forget that was either Banwald or Wasserstation once upon a time in the winter you got off there to start the sledge run, I think Wasserstation is the next one just before Wengeneralp, that was a throwback to the days of steam when there was a watering point there (before my time) And you found some more of the old track, Riggenbach on the passing loop with Von Roll on the through line and probably Strub points

Speaking of rack work I'm getting a sample length cut on the laser so we shall see if it works, this will be fully compatible with the standards for Strub / Von Roll & Richenback in H0e or H0m scale (If it works) 

• Like 1

On a technical item I found this interesting 

Here is a typical Strub point at Wengen station it pretty much follows Stubs patent where the rack splits and covers the rail not in use, now I could model this but quite honestly it would fail at ho scale because there'd be about 0.1mm of material holding it together

2340993681_67a6f91d61_o.jpg.69eab00d488f0a4e16cf03e6cfe69474.jpg

However it's not the only strub track on the mountain, up at Kleine Scheidegg the Jungfraubahn and it's meter gauge track uses a completely different design, here both the rail and the rack are split on the blade section of the point, now it would be a pain to build one, but I think it's actually possible at H0 scale unlike the traditional version, I can't help wonder why they have two designs on the same mountain though 

Kleine_Scheidegg_railway_station,_engine_and_maintenance_shed_(1).jpg.207f5d2fe641b4909ca33602ec96fcd0.jpg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 02/07/2020 at 07:56, DGO said:

Theres another thing that bothers me... how do you use an overhead crane to load trains under a catenary ? 

Found a closer up picture of the crane at Lauterbrunnen

20180309_125256.jpg

20180310_163830.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, DGO said:

Wish I was going up to Wengen right now :-(

Yep me too.  Davids thread really putting me in notion . The last time I was in Switzerland was 1990!

• Like 1

Nothing very remarkable about this picture. It was taken from  a BOB service to Interlaken. Those that know the station will note we appear to be in the road outside. We were on a replacement bus service! Not a common occurrence in my experience in Switzerland. The bus stopped at all the intermediate stations including a run round the back of the BOB works at Zweilutchinen. In the second picture we are just about to cross the tracks at Zweilutschinen.

20190208_112815.jpg

20190208_111425.jpg

• Like 3

Many years ago one summer I went up the Schynige Platte, when we came back down they had the steam train out ready to go up with a wedding party, the whole train had been beautifully prepared with flowers attached inside and out, I suspect they were going up to the top restaurant for a fabulous meal 

54 minutes ago, DGO said:

Many years ago one summer I went up the Schynige Platte, when we came back down they had the steam train out ready to go up with a wedding party, the whole train had been beautifully prepared with flowers attached inside and out, I suspect they were going up to the top restaurant for a fabulous meal 

Wedding trains seems to be a thing in Switzerland. I saw something similar on the Jungfraubahn, all garlanded in flowers and all the guests in Edwardian costume. It's a fabulous tradition. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, DGO said:

This was a wedding train during the Bob 100th celebrations:

24647908_Loco11.JPG.3764cf3655a5adeb24d2a12d90d1ecfe.JPG

(you can see some of the party standing around.

Still frame from my videoing.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, David Bell said:

Wedding trains seems to be a thing in Switzerland. I saw something similar on the Jungfraubahn, all garlanded in flowers and all the guests in Edwardian costume. It's a fabulous tradition. 

Yup they keep one of the original wooden trains for special events at the Jungfrau

10 hours ago, melmerby said:

This was a wedding train during the Bob 100th celebrations:

24647908_Loco11.JPG.3764cf3655a5adeb24d2a12d90d1ecfe.JPG

(you can see some of the party standing around.

Still frame from my videoing.

The one I saw had flowers attached to the front of the boiler, garlands and ribbons down the sides and more decoration both inside and out for the carriages, must have taken hours to set up, the loco itself had been shined and polished until it gleamed, maybe the wedding party had some link to the railway for that extra effort or maybe they had thrown a lot more money at the railway company, either way fabulous to see, I think my dear old mum took a pic, but I have no idea where it might be

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, DGO said:

The one I saw had flowers attached to the front of the boiler, garlands and ribbons down the sides and more decoration both inside and out for the carriages, must have taken hours to set up, the loco itself had been shined and polished until it gleamed, maybe the wedding party had some link to the railway for that extra effort or maybe they had thrown a lot more money at the railway company, either way fabulous to see, I think my dear old mum took a pic, but I have no idea where it might be

The train was part of a regular steam service operating during the BOB anniversary but some had been reserved for special events, so maybe why it hasn't been decorated up.

It would have run to Interlaken as a public train and picked up the wedding party at Wilderswil on the way back.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

You can, I believe, get working illuminated turnout indicators of that style from https://viessmann-modell.com/ at H0 scale

Annoyingly the WAB have now switched almost exclusively to digital turnout indicators that are much harder to recreate, especially as whilst much of Switzerland seem to use two illuminated indicators one over the other the WAB use a single changing indicator, not possible to recreate at anything approaching scale at H0 even with the absolutely tiny 0201 type nano LED's that are each just 0.65mm x 0.35mm in size, at least not possible digitally but I think it might be possible mechanically

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, David Bell said:

This would make a rather interesting building to model. It is situated on the JB at the reservoir above Kleine Scheidegg

I wondered what it was, especially as the entrance is in both German & English.

It's called a lodge, does that mean it's a refuge for use in the winter?

23 minutes ago, melmerby said:

I wondered what it was, especially as the entrance is in both German & English.

It's called a lodge, does that mean it's a refuge for use in the winter?

It looks like an old trafo tower given its shape now put to a different use

It's an old transformer station, the plan was to convert it to a small museum and be part of the "Eiger Trail" a walk that takes in the North Face of the Eiger 

Maybe I'll add it to the list of buildings I'm, modelling, currently Wengen Station, Allmend Station and Wengwald halt are on my list, but the old transformer station would make a worthy addition, it is an unusual building 

Purely as an aside went to see the industrial laser people yesterday, came home with this

rackrail.jpg

• Like 3