Interlaken and Wengen

David Bell

20 hours ago, railway gun said:

progress on my layout of Lauterbrunnen.

IMG_8477.JPG

So the Green ones will be 52 and 53, the SPB one might not be the correct scheme though I think only No. 60 had the red/cream scheme and that has square side windows rather than round, the round ones were I believe painted red brown very similar to the colour of many of the WAP's ski waggons, He 2/2 56 started of redbrown in 1963 but in the late 90's early 2000's was given the Teddy Land scheme

He-2-2-56-001.jpg

In 2006 it was repainted red probably the same red as the background to Teddy Land 

I'm guessing these are the prints I've seen available on Shapeways ?

• Like 1

I'm sorry but you are incorrect regarding the windows, all the He 2/2's that were made for the WAB which then passed them on to the SPB have their original windows , numbers 51 to 59 all have round windows, whilst 60 to 65 have the square ones, 64 last I have records for was still working for WAB, 65 was demolished for spares, 60 is the red cream one in your pics, 61 is a fun one it went to the SPB in 1970 was renumbered to 21 then went back to WAB and changed back to 61 in 1982 and then in 1992 it went back to SPB but stayed as 61 last I know it was red brown, 62 went to the SPB but was still WAB green in 2004, 63 went to the SPB in 1996, at one point it was red but was given a full restoration back to WAB Green in 2008 to look as it did in the 1950's , 59 became 19 on the SPB - Red brown or possibly Red / Cream, 58 became 18 on the SPB - red brown, 57 became 17 on the SPB - red brown now retired, 56 became 16 and is the teddyland train mentioned above, 55 became 15 and was red but it was retired in 1995 and is now a monument in Münchenstein, 51 to 54 are still with the WAB at Lauterbrunnen or Grund and are still in Green Livery. personally I find it incredible that the WAB trains were made in 1908 and 1909 and are still doing day to day service over 113 years later !

I just realised I made a mistake, the engines ordered for the Electrification did indeed come with the square windows, this is because they were built after the WAB converted to square windows, as such these are the newest trains on the SPB in terms of when they were built but the oldest electrified ones as the others were all second hand. My apologies for my error.

David 

Edited by DGO
I made an error and forgot the original locos
  • Like 1

Of the WAB steam trains only the very first H 2/3 1 survives, sold in 1911 to the Brienz Rothorn Bahn where its drive was converted from Riggenbach to ABT it became Engine No.5 there and still survives although I believe it is no longer running 

Another fun thing, the SPB takes the overhead wires down at the end of summer and re hangs them in spring, to move the wagons whilst doing this they still use their steam engine No.5. This also runs occasional trains for special events and private hires, I once saw it after a fresh coat of paint strung with garlands of flowers taking a wedding party up to the top for their after wedding meal, it looked beautiful.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

railway gun have I missed something or have you only put the columns up the middle of the platform ? Only at Interlaken  where the ramps come up and possibly also where the stairs come up I'm pretty sure the columns are either side of the entrances onto the platform, I've spent a lot of time over the years on Platform 2B and I know I'm not wrong about this 

1 hour ago, DGO said:

railway gun have I missed something or have you only put the columns up the middle of the platform ? Only at Interlaken  where the ramps come up and possibly also where the stairs come up I'm pretty sure the columns are either side of the entrances onto the platform, I've spent a lot of time over the years on Platform 2B and I know I'm not wrong about this 

This photo shows the way the central posts give way to pairs of posts near subway stairs:

https://fastly.4sqi.net/img/general/600x600/537371_jcjfXVbnBsVthfl0_9moChI1lYBwOiGhmNm7l3cWyCk.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, railway gun said:

see photo single columns the only time two are used is on underpass stars which have yet to be modelled same as canty 

DSCF0647.JPG

DSCF0645.JPG

Thats what I meant, I know  that the ramps have this double column arrangement but I could not remember if the stairs also had it, mainly because I always tend to be pushing a heavy trolly up the ramp onto platform 2A , When I get to the station on another line I tend to be in a hurry to get to platform 2 so rarely take the time to look at the structure LOL . Hadn't realised you had not yet started to model the underpass sections.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
22 minutes ago, railway gun said:

there both piko and the motors are kato 

Cheers, I've been looking at various units for the Pantographs, can't use a standard drive unit as I'm mad enough to be having a go at recreating the Von Roll type rack rail, I found a local company that can accurately laser cut suitable thin sheet, I know we can get brass to work, but I'm also going to try nickle silver, have to be carefull with very shiny materials as it can blow the laser which is very expensive, but the cutting itself comes in at about £10 per meter, the plan is to do a what if scenario with what iff the WAB and JB had combined earlier and gone Meter Gauge the whole length, thus letting me include the awesome JB Snowblower and the lovely little He 2/2 31 or 32, I didn't think I'd be able to squeeze in the workings for the rack rail in H0e wanting the extra 3mm of space between the wheels that H0m will give me. The Layout will be a representation of the short stretch from the Tunnel below Wengwald to the Woods just above Allmend but much foreshortened 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well I saw something today that I had never realised, the original Wengen Station was pretty much a carbon copy of that at Wengeneralp 

Estaci%C3%B3_de_Wengen_amb_la_Jungfrau_a

There is a second picture to the right 

La_vall_de_Lauterbrunnen_des_de_l'estaci

These must have been taken at some time between 1899 and 1908 since both the goods shed and the coach house are already in place 

Pior to this the earliest picture I had found of the station was here https://www.superstock.com/asset/switzerland-europe-canton-bern-bernese-oberland-wengen-railway-station-steam/1597-183441

I can't link the picture as it's a Superstock image 

However it is clearly pre eletrification, you can even see one engine taking on water, the lack of overhead cables means this is pre 1910 which is when the new line reached Wengen, the next oldest I have is 

135_Glas_Nr_003_1_DHO.jpg

This is taken prior to the kiosk being added to the station but after the founding of the Downhill Only Club which puts it between 1925 and 1932 

Note the massive retaining wall on the right 

Next a postcard from 1939 https://www.ricardo.ch/de/a/wengen-sportzuege-bahnhof-bahn-1088411188/

Nothing much has changed 

This link is from somewhere between 1945 (when the new trains arrived) and 1969, I suspect it's actually from the 50's, you can zoom in up to 400% and if you do so you will note that the huge 12 foot high retaining wall is now only about 4 foot high with the hill sculpted back to let them do this.

https://www.helveticarchives.ch/detail.aspx?ID=82479

Now this I think is probably the latter half of the 1970's they constructed a permanent platform surface in 1976 so it's after that large.jpg

Picture from https://www.geneanet.org/cartes-postales/view/6876651#0 under the creative commons licence 

By this point the goods shed had grown to the far end of the station and a covered staircase had been added to the downstairs toilets, this blocked off the old door into the booking office and so the adjacent window became the new door. note also that rot or damage has resulted in many of the window frames and shutters being replaced with simpler versions but one original set can still be seen on the right of the first floor.

And thats it for pics, in 1989 they started to upgrade the station again, they added the shed on the valley side which handels fuel deliveries and allows the rubbish to be transfered from truck to train in modified containers to be taken to Lauterbrunnen (it used to be burnt / processed in Wengen) they added the gravel handling points at the end of what is now track 4 but used to be track 5, Then the big work started, extending the station building, creating brand new goods handling facilities with two sidings underneath the building including the ability to unload a new beer waggon, and finally adding a long canopy covering the whole of Platform 1 and providing shelter for part of platform 2, finishing in 1997.

Most recently they dropped the track and raised the platform height which gives an almost level surface  to access tracks 1, 2 and 3 they also widened the platforms which meant the loss of track 4 but this did allow them to increase the overhang of the canopy by about 2M 

Pictures of the modern (up to about 2011)  Wengen station can be foud at https://www.x-rail.ch/WAB/Lauterbrunnen-Kleine Scheidegg/Wengen.htm Plus of course Google Street View

I hope thats of interest - David

• Like 2