Interlaken and Wengen

David Bell

Finally got some time to sit down and recreate Allmend Station

Please Note the stone base will be hand sculpted so it's just a grey block in the pictures, also I could not bring myself to add the portaloos now installed inside the waiting area so I've recreated the structure with it's original 3 windows for the waiting area rather than todays 2, I think it looks better that way.

I've now got myself a nice little Resin Printer so I've already printed most of the station off, hopefully this week I'll get it built

Still to add, Hand Rails Window Boxes and the clock, the tiles will be created with thin card and I'm not sure yet about the gutters.

Allmend 3.jpg

Allmend 2.jpg

Allmend 1.jpg

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Someone asked what was in the Shed on the Lauterbrunnen side of Wengen Station and I didn't know, well I've just discovered online a dreadful picture Wengen-011.jpg

So it would appear to be a small container handling facility, now I don't recall ever having seen containers being moved around Wengen so I think they are typically used to transfer a certain amount of waste (possibly recycling) down to Lauterbrunnen The call it a waste converting and oil handling facility.

X-Rail https://www.x-rail.ch/WAB/WAB.htm has a lot of technical information and pictures from the WAB which was where I found this pic, this is about the worst pic there and looks like it was the last on a roll of film giving a double exposure

Edited by DGO
  • Like 4

Came across this in a video yesterday, had no idea this was even there at Kleine Scheidegg , not the tanker but the hidden loading/unloading system in the platform1954895102_KStanker.jpg.2af18522091341cd5e8f43c9cfd06522.jpg

Edited by DGO
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

I was on holiday in the Lauterbrunnen valley in Aug/Sep 1982 , camping at Stechelberg. It was mainly a walking holiday but I took a few train photos when I could.

These first shots are identifiable as Kleine Sheidegg.

k1.jpg.81ee7423c1ca7553a0e6ef4e6aab615d.jpg

k2.jpg.a2243d5cb71f1713ec39aeed586250dd.jpg

k3.jpg.99b03715e5f551d34d58e433a8694b32.jpg

k4.jpg.1dfbb010e10d80f5b40f9f0bcbe81e9f.jpg

k5.jpg.4d698a3c92fa1543be54d630365ed56a.jpg

ks4.jpg.f85318d0c626f57d5132be0bd9e6bdcf.jpg

More to follow

Graham

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold
On 21/05/2020 at 09:34, vectispete said:

I much prefer the old 'GWR colours'.

I just love how there are flowers everywhere and everything looks so clean. Even with the loco repair yard at Meiringen I have never seen a single photo with any litter anywhere.

No market for "professional weathering" then.  ;)

3 hours ago, dagrizz said:

These photos I can't place, I did walk up to KS a couple of times so I assume they are taken on the way there.

ws1.jpg.79e3e5e6207ba6b088fc08e69acba232.jpg

ws2.jpg.8dc0c81b9dcf622d422453f60aef5d7d.jpg

ws3.jpg.66d590b2cb6edd9bba6e390f37ab26fb.jpg

ws4.jpg.77efdb2a192e840a4977ecd191fe6aa5.jpgws5.jpg.e6f759fc06c6fc8d094d005e11021082.jpg

ws6.jpg.233889f3cc20336229f994cd07137352.jpg

ws7.jpg.08b286177e44b86dc7cfaf31c656738a.jpg

ws8.jpg.25feadca50b0abe01ef87af7df2fee0d.jpg

ws9.jpg.acc6f373a346b393a3aa4d8f07a4a20f.jpg

ws10.jpg.259f59addae660b67173425294da7cae.jpg

w8.jpg.4164fcf97e64bc4fb7c7e0d6a2b8d56a.jpg

Graham

Will see if I can help identify locations, 

1: just before Wengen Station coming from Lauterbrunnen, the old track is on the left, now has lots of chalets on what show in your pics as grassy slopes

2. Looks like Wengernalp Station to me

3. You've got me I'm not sure, did you do any walks from Kleine Scheidegg to Grindelwald as that looks more like a spot below the Eiger

4,5,6. This is just above Lauterbrunnen where the old (steeper) line went off to the right 

7,8 & 9 are all on the path between Wengernalp and Kleine Scheidegg

10. Wengernalp Station again

11. Somewhere near Kleine Scheidegg looking down to the old Salzegg Ski lift 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, DGO said:

Will see if I can help identify locations, 

1: just before Wengen Station coming from Lauterbrunnen, the old track is on the left, now has lots of chalets on what show in your pics as grassy slopes

2. Looks like Wengernalp Station to me

3. You've got me I'm not sure, did you do any walks from Kleine Scheidegg to Grindelwald as that looks more like a spot below the Eiger

4,5,6. This is just above Lauterbrunnen where the old (steeper) line went off to the right 

7,8 & 9 are all on the path between Wengernalp and Kleine Scheidegg

10. Wengernalp Station again

11. Somewhere near Kleine Scheidegg looking down to the old Salzegg Ski lift 

Thanks for this. I certainly don't remember walking to Grindlewald. I've checked through my other holiday pics and there is nothing to indicate otherwise. Given the weather conditions though, I perhaps didn't take other photos. Hmmm. 

I haven't been back since, I was hoping to take SWMBO there later this year but Covid has scuppered that. A friend was working at Trummelbach at the time I was there and he went back last year. He said it was so much busier nowadays, the streets of Lauterbrunnen were crammed and all trains were now 8 coaches long, even Grutschalp to Murren.

Graham 

54 minutes ago, dagrizz said:

I haven't been back since, I was hoping to take SWMBO there later this year but Covid has scuppered that. A friend was working at Trummelbach at the time I was there and he went back last year. He said it was so much busier nowadays, the streets of Lauterbrunnen were crammed and all trains were now 8 coaches long, even Grutschalp to Murren.

Graham 

That one pic I can't identify might be on the Wengen side, but I can't think where UNLESS it was between Allmend and Wengen which has had a lot of changes over the years, but the rock face behind does not look like the bottom of the Mannlichen to me

Never mind, I found it, Alpiglen about half way between Grund and Kleine Sceidegg 

Trains are longer 6 is common (2 3 unit trains linked together) but there are now 2 departures per hour instead of 3, Lauterbrunnen certainly busier. Cablecar up to Grutschalp instead of Funicular, 

Alpiglen.jpg

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, DGO said:

Never mind, I found it, Alpiglen about half way between Grund and Kleine Sceidegg

Nice cafe at Alpiglen - I've been twice. First time in blazing sunshine: tea and cake outside sharing a table with a family from Munich. Second time in swirling cloud and rain with intermittent views: onion soup with cheese on toast "floater". Would go again!

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, DGO said:

That one pic I can't identify might be on the Wengen side, but I can't think where UNLESS it was between Allmend and Wengen which has had a lot of changes over the years, but the rock face behind does not look like the bottom of the Mannlichen to me

Trains are longer 6 is common (2 3 unit trains linked together) but there are now 2 departures per hour instead of 3, Lauterbrunnen certainly busier. Cablecar up to Grutschalp instead of Funicular, 

Alpiglen.jpg

Blimey, thanks for that. I don't remember it at all.

I've been going through some other old slides recently and found places I don't remember visiting. It's a bit unnerving.

Graham

1 hour ago, dagrizz said:

Blimey, thanks for that. I don't remember it at all.

I've been going through some other old slides recently and found places I don't remember visiting. It's a bit unnerving.

Graham

I've got a few of those, one lot I had zero memory of from when I was about 22, then I realised those were the ones my dear old mum took when she went off for a day to Isenfluh whilst much of my face pealed off from sunburn.... Note do not use only factor 30 sun cream when skiing all day in the summer at Jungfraujoch, it really hurts LOL Fortunately good sunglasses at least saved my eyes and eyelids which I'm told are excruciating to get burnt.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've re-found some pictures which I originally posted on RMWeb back in 2009 - like most of my content they have been lost in the various changes on RMWeb. The pictures show the old goods line at Wengen, shortly after it had been dismantled but before Wengen station remodelling had started.

(dagrizz posted some pictures above of the Lauterbrunnen end of the goods line, for which DGO added the identification).

My pictures were taken on 25th July 2009.

Here is the track as it left Wengen station:

1868666755_68OutofWengenstation.thumb.jpg.389d33b36f9d4752a2eca92bb034a5fe.jpg

And here is where the end was on that date:

1259432830_69Wengengoodslineremoved.thumb.jpg.75c75d223a81bffb89d4dd7d92b00805.jpg

Further images of the old route - the catenary masts and booms have not yet been removed:

334102339_70Wengengoodslineremoved.thumb.jpg.b00a62916bb1ba7212b209d83a7c7e8d.jpg316934295_71Wengengoodslineremoved.thumb.jpg.7bbaf6fe6d1d460bb1ecff3642f3bde2.jpg1770996666_72Wengengoodslineremoved.thumb.jpg.11e37d5a9f5395d048d2734f4e919065.jpg

Edited by DIW
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, DIW said:

I've re-found some pictures which I originally posted on RMWeb back in 2009 - like most of my content they have been lost in the various changes on RMWeb. The pictures show the old goods line at Wengen, shortly after it had been dismantled but before Wengen station remodelling had started.

(DGO posted some pictures above of the Lauterbrunnen end of the goods line).

My pictures were taken on 25th July 2009.

Not my pics I was just quoting dagrizz so we could see which pics were where 

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, DGO said:

Not my pics I was just quoting dagrizz so we could see which pics were where 

Thanks - I've edited my post to correctly credit dagrizz for the pictures and you for the identification.

• 1 month later...

A while ago someone either told me or wrote on here that there was an old plan that showed Wengen Station with a turntable, I've never seen that but I can tell you that there used to be a small turntable at Kleine Scheidegg, it was located on the Grindelwald side of the station at the Grindelwald end of the platform along with a small engine shed and was probably only ever used for the steam locos which would have needed to be rotated if they were swapping sides due to their angled boilers. 

Having one at Wengen would be a big surprise, firstly because of the angled boilers mentioned above and secondly because operating rules require the engine to always be at the valley end of the train to prevent accidental loss of wagons should any uncoupling occur, this was why the reversing Y was constructed at Kleine Scheidegg. I believe the latest trains have every axel driven so in theory one could run continuous from Wengen to Grindelwald

2 hours ago, DGO said:

I believe the latest trains have every axel driven so in theory one could run continuous from Wengen to Grindelwald

Do the latest ones still have "uphill" and "downhill" seat designs? I'm sure last time I was around there, the seats on the uphill side had a noticeably bigger lip, or a differently-angled base. 

9 hours ago, eastwestdivide said:

Do the latest ones still have "uphill" and "downhill" seat designs? I'm sure last time I was around there, the seats on the uphill side had a noticeably bigger lip, or a differently-angled base. 

Good question and I'm trying to remember, the old wooden seats were certainly angled I guess the new ones are as well but I'm really not sure, when you are packed on a ski train you don't tend to notice so much but the old ones were designed to cope with up to 25% gradient and the new will never have to do that so maybe there is less angle on the seats ?

• 5 months later...

Well today I discovered something I'd not realised before, Interlaken Ost Station was/(maybe still is) owned by the BOB  not the SBB, apparently the BOB was there first and everyone else uses it at their discretion

• Agree 1

• 5 months later...