Interlaken and Wengen

David Bell

• RMweb Premium
On 20/05/2020 at 19:41, David Bell said:

One or two of the chalets in Wengen are about 250 years old, maybe more

The Bären Hotel in Wilderswil is a traditional inn built in 1706

We stayed there in 1990 which was during the centenary celebrations of the BOB (purely co-incidental!)

article_picture_1.jpg

• Like 6

This is not one of mine, but I think it is worthy of a wider audience.

A reminder of a time when the Brunigbahn transported standard gauge wagons on metre gauge transporter wagons.

It would make an interesting model, no doubt

brunigbahn.jpg

• Like 7

I stayed at Hotel Baren during a Ffestiniog Travel Holiday trip in December 2016.

Thanks for the SBB zebra and PE pics. I’d forgotten about the freight shed at OST.

This is a very enlightening thread.

David

1 hour ago, MOB FAN said:

I stayed at Hotel Baren during a Ffestiniog Travel Holiday trip in December 2016.

Thanks for the SBB zebra and PE pics. I’d forgotten about the freight shed at OST.

David

I am glad you are enjoying it. Most of the pictures posted so far are from the period 2013-2020. All I need to do now is find the pictures from 2004 - 2012. They are here somewhere! The danger for me is I get distracted from my current project to make a model of Glasgow Queen Street and revert to modelling Swiss. Something I did for years. I am already thinking I would love to produce that Brunigbahn train with the standard gauge wagons in O/Om. I already have enough Fama UTZ stock to use to produce the metre gauge stock so a couple of O gauge wagons and scratchbuilding the transporter wagons would do the trick. I can feel myself wavering already!

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, MOB FAN said:

David

The SG line originally went past the works down to a pier on Brienzersee at Böningen.

8 hours ago, Re6/6 said:

Lovely stuff David. Many thanks.

Do you perchance have any of Göschenen? My most favourite train watching location. All those lengthy freights disappearing into the tunnel!

Not so many at Göschenen itself but I have plenty taken on the Gotthard nordramp:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bantam61668/albums/72157627026682925

How I miss those Summer days at Wassen watching the seemingly endless procession of freights climbing up the valley across the 3 levels

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, bantam61668 said:

Not so many at Göschenen itself but I have plenty taken on the Gotthard nordramp:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bantam61668/albums/72157627026682925

How I miss those Summer days at Wassen watching the seemingly endless procession of freights climbing up the valley across the 3 levels

These are brilliant. Some high quality photos here. The panning shot and the nightime shots are particularly good. Very atmospheric too.Puts my rather ordinary efforts to shame. Thanks for posting those.

David

4 hours ago, David Bell said:

These are brilliant. Some high quality photos here. The panning shot and the nightime shots are particularly good. Very atmospheric too.Puts my rather ordinary efforts to shame. Thanks for posting those.

David

Thank you, I was lucky enough to live in Bern 2009-2012 so have a pretty extensive collection of Swiss pictures from this time. I still visit 2 or 3 times a year and get out lineside with my camera as much as possible, it’s that or spend time with the in-laws so the slightest hint of sun and I’m away in the car.....

31 minutes ago, bantam61668 said:

Thank you, I was lucky enough to live in Bern 2009-2012 so have a pretty extensive collection of Swiss pictures from this time. I still visit 2 or 3 times a year and get out lineside with my camera as much as possible, it’s that or spend time with the in-laws so the slightest hint of sun and I’m away in the car.....

Well done you!

Your layout is coming on a treat too

Cheers

David

17 hours ago, MOB FAN said:

David

One of the aforementioned shed

bob-berner-oberland-bahn-38038.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, MOB FAN said:

What was the pier used for? Did they transfer goods to the lake boats?

The original railway was built to transfer boat passengers and goods from Thunersee at Därligen to Brienzersee at Böningen.

The railway was isolated from any other.

Eventually it became part of the BLS and remained open to Böningen until 1969 when it was cut back to the works.

interlaken-environs-switzerland-sketch-m

The terminus was here somewhere:

https://goo.gl/maps/sHi5sbWNVMfpYxdo9

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Stunning pictures David .  Hope the Swiss Tourist Board got you on commission because after this thread I'm definitely in the mood to re visit Interlaken once this current misery is over .

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Ah the joys of skiing!

I skied in Switzerland once at Disentis and once at Andermatt both these resorts arrived at by RhB and the FO of course!

In Disentis we stayed at a pension run by a little sweet old lady who spoke no Swiss German only Romansh! It was a lot of fun communicating. 

• Like 2