Interlaken and Wengen

David Bell

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, vectispete said:

Does anyone have any ideas, thoughts or suggestions?

Possibly not working but since recently purchased you should be able to return or have it repaired by the seller rather than open it up. They might get funny if you "interfere" with it.

One possible answer -  is your test track digital or analogue? If analogue, its possible the loco is digital but had analogue capability switched off.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, vectispete said:

I very recently purchased (off ebay) a HRF Deh 4/6 SBB Brunig locomotive which looks cracking and is in very good condition.

I placed it onto my mocked up test track however and nothing happened. Looking on the underside of the model there is a switch which I flicked across and tried again. All to no avail. I tried one of my BEMO equivalents and it worked fine.

Have I bought a dud or do HRF pick up their electric from the pantograph perhaps? This is the first HRF loco I have ever bought and I was looking at another but I am concerned I might have the same problem with that.

Does anyone have any ideas, thoughts or suggestions?

Pete

Hi Pete,

I found with one of  these that the interior wiring was rather 'tight', such that it became strained and then disconnected. A new piece of wire soon fixed the problem.

Perhaps you should remove the body and have a look?

Hope this helps.

Hi Joseph, I was researching the IOW with view to building a layout hence the handle.

my test track is analogue. I have sent the seller, who sells railway items online, a question to see if he tested it. For the price I paid I assume I’ll have rights buying via eBay.

• Like 1

On 31/05/2020 at 08:48, David Bell said:

Some BLS emus 

DSC_0483.JPG

Can anyone tell me about these units, I saw them on the BLS during the 100th anniversary celebrations, they appear to have had a coach cut in half and a low floor section added in the middle?

Jon

• Like 1

23 hours ago, David Bell said:

This is the plan of Interlaken Ost I was building. It is a good starting point if anyone fancies having a go and their double garage is going spare.20200603_221844.jpg.7ab72e31e75071a8942eaf19b1be0c35.jpg

At the risk of boring you all rigid I will post some detail shots of Interlaken that will be useful for anyone who wants to model the station. I did an extensive photo survey of the station in 2013 . You find yourself photographing rubbish bins and station seats and adverts! But it all helps build up the picture. So apologies in advance!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jonhall said:

in fact looking at my photo it appears to have been chopped in half and an articulated low floor section added!

Jon

blsunit001.jpg

I had never noticed that. It is funny now these workaday trains pass you by, must another emu

3 hours ago, jonhall said:

in fact looking at my photo it appears to have been chopped in half and an articulated low floor section added!

Jon

blsunit001.jpg

That’s almost exactly what the intermediate carriages are ... EW I ‘converted’ as part of the BLS Jumbo programme. There’s a nifty video on YouTube showing the scale of the work:

Mark

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

One has to ask, If it's effectively two new articulated low floor coach bodies grafted between the two ends of an existing coach.

Why not just buy two low floor coaches articulated together and insert them between what's existing?

• RMweb Gold
On 02/06/2020 at 21:18, David Bell said:

I have photos I took in the seventies and eighties that would leave you to think we must have lived in a world of fog and faded colour!

I took some really quite good pics in 1969-71, including some on Ektachrome Infrared Aero. Any fool can take decent pics on a Nikon F.  The Aletsch Glacier from Jungfraujoch in colours never seen before! I have little idea where any of them is now. 

I have a vague recollection of walking down through the forest to Grindelwald Grund - but from where? KS? No idea. And that last year, being with a skoolfriend, now deceased, on the Lake Thun steamers. We stayed at the Station Hotel Kandersteg, where my late first wife stayed with walking friends more than 30 years later. 

This is an inspiring thread, thankyou all. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I took some really quite good pics in 1969-71, including some on Ektachrome Infrared Aero. Any fool can take decent pics on a Nikon F.  The Aletsch Glacier from Jungfraujoch in colours never seen before! I have little idea where any of them is now. 

I have a vague recollection of walking down through the forest to Grindelwald Grund - but from where? KS? No idea. And that last year, being with a skoolfriend, now deceased, on the Lake Thun steamers. We stayed at the Station Hotel Kandersteg, where my late first wife stayed with walking friends more than 30 years later. 

This is an inspiring thread, thankyou all. 

I have done that walk from KS to Grund many times, always stopping at Brandegg for a beer! It always amazed me that I can ski from KS to Grund in the winter in 10 minutes. It takes over 2 hours to walk it.(more if you have the beer stop!)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Stunning photos Paul. 

If knew two years ago what I know now about the RhB, my layout would have been entirely based on RhB.

But, better a small slice of the RhB than none at all...

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, MichaelE said:

Stunning photos Paul. 

If knew two years ago what I know now about the RhB, my layout would have been entirely based on RhB.

But, better a small slice of the RhB than none at all...

Well the Great Western narrowed its gauge. Maybe you could do the same! 

Seriously though, I think having a mixed gauge layout is great. You have standard and metre gauge stock side by side. All adds to the variety 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, David Bell said:

Well the Great Western narrowed its gauge. Maybe you could do the same! 

Seriously though, I think having a mixed gauge layout is great. You have standard and metre gauge stock side by side. All adds to the variety 

Interlaken Ost should be good inspration for anybody

Three different systems, BLS, ZB & BOB

The ZB (Brünigbahn) & BLS share OHL voltage but not gauge.

BOB & ZB share gauge but not OHL voltage

ZB & BOB can exchange stock.*

*When we were at the BOB centenary the BOB & Brünigbahn had swapped a coach so there was one chocolate & cream BOB coach in a Brünigbahn rake & a red Brünigbahn coach in a BOB train.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Interlaken Ost should be good inspration for anybody

Three different systems, BLS, ZB & BOB

The ZB (Brünigbahn) & BLS share OHL voltage but not gauge.

BOB & ZB share gauge but not OHL voltage

ZB & BOB can exchange stock.*

*When we were at the BOB centenary the BOB & Brünigbahn had swapped a coach so there was one chocolate & cream BOB coach in a Brünigbahn rake & a red Brünigbahn coach in a BOB train.

Could not agree more. And you have SBB mainline, DB ICE, French TGV Lyria

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, David Bell said:

I have done that walk from KS to Grund many times, always stopping at Brandegg for a beer! It always amazed me that I can ski from KS to Grund in the winter in 10 minutes. It takes over 2 hours to walk it.(more if you have the beer stop!)

My wife and I sledged it nearly a decade ago. Having never done more than slide 20 yards straight down a hill it was a learning experience - I remember near the start there was a sign telling beginners to go left, but as i hadnt yet worked out how to steer....

Nearer the bottom a load of skiers crossed our run on the level (terrifying, when I really didnt have that much control and there were skiers going right to left across in front of us, there were other tobogganers around us as well, so we were definitely on the right path) and then bizarrely on the outskirts of grindelwald I encountered a car driving up the sledge run! (Yes, we were on the right path!).

In the few years after we did preda-bergun a few times (more fun and more scenic in my opinion). Then we had kids, and haven't left the country since!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, brack said:

My wife and I sledged it nearly a decade ago. Having never done more than slide 20 yards straight down a hill it was a learning experience - I remember near the start there was a sign telling beginners to go left, but as i hadnt yet worked out how to steer....

Nearer the bottom a load of skiers crossed our run on the level (terrifying, when I really didnt have that much control and there were skiers going right to left across in front of us, there were other tobogganers around us as well, so we were definitely on the right path) and then bizarrely on the outskirts of grindelwald I encountered a car driving up the sledge run! (Yes, we were on the right path!).

In the few years after we did preda-bergun a few times (more fun and more scenic in my opinion). Then we had kids, and haven't left the country since!

Happy days! I have done skidoos in Meribel, sledging in Wengen and dog sledding in Canada.All wonderful. My ex was a timid skier but a demon sledger. I steered a sledge by digging one or other foot in the snow, which changes your direction but also slows you down. She steered by leaning back and shifting her weight. Answer steering and more speed!

• Like 1

To be honest I dont care much for skiing (my wife does, I suspect it's down to her more middle class upbringing in the home counties) but I absolutely loved the long sledge runs in switzerland. Tremendous fun (and I actually got quite decent at it).

For some reason the Swiss are thought not have a sense of humour. Many of you will know that is far from the truth. To illustrate here is a picture of the roundabout in Thun the purpose of which was to promote a production of Titanic which was playing on Lake Thun that summer

DSC_0061.JPG

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, melmerby said:

There used to be a model railway in a building near to Interlaken West. (Rugenparkstrasse?)

Anyone know what happened to it?

Keith, I had forgotten about that. I last visited it 2007, it closed a year or two after that. There is some footage of it on YouTube. No idea where it ended up