DCC dropper size - do I need to replace?

Ben C

Hi,

I've recently been laying track and wiring on my OO gauge 8x8' roundy roundy.

I've been soldering droppers to each length of track and each point using the Gaugemaster 7/0.2 wire I picked up from my local shop a while back after being told it was the right stuff for the job. Been doing some searching tonight with a view to ordering my bus wire and have seen lots of places mention 16/0.2 as a recommended minimum for droppers. Have I gone too small and is it worth replacing before I do the whole lot. Have only done about half of my mainline loops so far. Would be a pain to replace but not impossible.

Cheers,

Ben

• RMweb Gold

7/0.2 is fine for the short lengths that your droppers should be. In most instances they will be paralleled through multiple connections from the track to the bus anyway 

Andi

• Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

They will be fine, so long as they are not excessively long. If the bus wires follow the track layout then I would not lose sleep over it.

There was a rather comical "readers letter" to, I think, MREMag, some years ago, that claimed thin droppers would set your layout on fire.:o

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Crosland said:

There was a rather comical "readers letter" to, I think, MREMag, some years ago, that claimed thin droppers would set your layout on fire.:o

I remember that, it was hilarious! 

Andi

Thanks for the replies. I'll carry on as I am for now then.

The bus wires will indeed follow the track layout so should be able to keep droppers to 6-8" or so. There shouldn't be more than one loco per track section at any time either. 

Cheers,

Ben