Peco turnouts: opinions please

Dinadan

Hi,

Before committing myself to anything larger I was thinking of making a small 009 layout as a 'practice' to see if I do enjoy railway modelling and to test various techniques on a small scale.  I also really like the Ashover Light Railway.  I was planning to use a board 0f probably about 2'6"x 4', hence I was thinking of using approximate 12" radius curves along with the 12" radius Peco turnouts which I believe is 'crazy track'.  However I came across this article:

http://www.009.cd2.com/members/how_to/working_009.htm

In this the author is very disparaging of the Peco 'crazy track' turnouts, but happy with the 'mainline' type.  Do people agree with him please?

Also, How does the 'mainline track' compare with the 'crazy track'?  Are the sleeper widths and spacing the same, i.e. could I get away with laying both together?

Chris

• RMweb Premium

As you like the Ashover Light Railway you'll be wanting to use the relevant Bachmann locos. These work just fine with the Peco 'crazy' track and points, and 12" curves.

You only need 'mainline' points for larger locos such as the L&B ones, which is what that 'individual' you referred to ran.

As to your second point, there is no problem mixing the two types together. Sleeper size and spacing are similar, the crazy track looks like old track with worn and wonky sleepers.

Both the 12" and 18" turnouts (and the Y) have live frogs. Also the more recent production of the 12" points (last 5+ years or so) have improved pivots for the blades (as used on the Mainline 18" ones) and slightly improved geometry through the crossing.

The Setrack 9" points are dead frog.

Thank you very much for your advice.  Yes, the availability of the Bachmann Baldwins gave me the idea to go down this route.  I regret not having bought a Peggy a couple of years ago.  I really like the 'Midland' style livery, but then I am biased.

Recently, I decided to build a small extension to my Brislington layout (not that it's much bigger), and decided to add a section of narrow gauge, as I had some stock from the 80's, and a more recent Bachmann Baldwin. The Peco Track I had, was from the same era, but unused. The Crazy track sections were available then in 18" lengths, and I had 3 unopened box es in stock as well as a number of 12" & Y points. The Baldwin didn't run too well through the points, so I purchased 2 of the newer 18" Mainline ones. IMG_4497.jpg.438a7ec38c6666d272b027e8ba2ee175.jpgGlad I decided not to use the old ones now. Still more to do on the new section (mainly ballasting & some more buildings), but I'm getting there.

I wouldn't worry about mixing the Crazy & Mainline types.

IMG_4614.JPG.c028785f3cd40ede6b92b8b177568448.JPGIMG_4622.JPG.62ce75307562dc77bf1aff18de14e42a.JPG

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

As Bernard said a few posts up the design of the 12" points has recently been improved so they should cause no problems now. The 'mainline' points are recommended if you have room for them, but that is not always the case.

TBH I've never had any issues with the 12" crazytrack points or the Y's. The "Mainline" range is aimed at a different market, being a representation of current 750/760mm gauge modern railways. I'd have thought that the 12" will be fine for your proposed model.