Diversion/Umleitung - Now sold

A lockdown project in two permanently connected boxfile plus a fiddlestick add on. Industrial location in late 1970s/early 1980s. 

Proposed track plan shown.

Thanks for looking.

steve

IMG_0395.JPG

Edited by steve1
Update
  • Like 6

I'm revising the track plan for 2 reasons:

1. Although it is good plan, I don't think it is workable in a boxfile format. Needs to be wider.

2. The l/h point turned out to be a dodgy s/h item and I couldn't be sure of its reliability.

This version will have two fiddlesticks and both will powered. The straight track will give the appearance of being cut back. It will be BR and fenced off but the rest will be industrial. The Slough Estates Railway, where my grandfather worked, is part of the inspiration.

steve

1B83F244-B35A-4A9F-B8CC-25EF9DF8CF7D.jpeg

Edited by steve1
  • Like 3

Unlike most of my projects I have written down a work plan for this one.

Item one says cut open the boxes in the relevant places. so this afternoon...

steve

7C8843E1-038A-4C1E-8AA2-FB73EE42FC36.jpeg

0898EBB2-6C48-4256-9A3C-AE756EC5CE0B.jpeg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, steve1 said:

Unlike most of my projects I have written down a work plan for this one.

Item one says cut open the boxes in the relevant places. so this afternoon...

Crickey me, maybe I should write a work plan if it generates results like yours! Thinking and talking is so much easier than do-ing...

Keep it up!

Ralf

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

There was a brief hiatus over the weekend as Grandad duties were required but work has resumed.

The two boxes have been glued and screwed together, the track formation marked out and the first piece of under track foam laid.

An inspiration came to me for the off-scene area, so instead of two individual fiddlesticks, I have partially dismembered a damaged boxfile and will be using this instead. Both fiddle tracks will be laid on here plus the power input. It won't be permanently fixed to the other boxes as that would be unwieldy and suspect structurally.

Thanks for looking.

steve

IMG_0418.JPG

IMG_0419.JPG

IMG_0420.JPG

IMG_0421.JPG

• Like 3

This evening track was laid on the BR siding, plus the foam base cut and laid for the lead track and point.

Excuse the weight used. It's Daughter's, I don't touch the stuff.

steve

IMG_0426.JPG

• Like 2

Having been diverted into doing some decorating recently, the project has been  unfortunately sidelined for a while. However, I have been able find enough time to give the track a rough coat of track colour paint and slap on a layer of ERFG standard ground cover canine excrement brown emulsion.

As the decorating is nearly done, progress should hopefully resume fairly soon.

steve

IMG_0445.JPG

• Like 3

Yesterday I was able to give the latest track a good clean and did some extensive test running with a selection of stock. 

Some of the testing stock was a little different, as I hope to make the layout fairly, shall we say, flexible in its running capabilities.

steve

IMG_0469.JPG

IMG_0470.JPG

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Some great photos to show us how it’s done, thank you.  

Looking closely, I see that the two box files are not quite the same size as each other: worth noting if planning a box file layout: check the size of the ‘baseboard’ - clearances are bound to be tight so it’d be easy to get caught out.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Made a start on ground cover and sections of low relief factory walls on r/h side. 

Plus there's this sad and neglected container that may find a home on the layout. Not sure on that yet.

steve

IMG_0589.JPG

IMG_0588.JPG

• 3 months later...

I have been gradually tinkering with this layout ever since it turned from a lockdown into a redundancy project around about July.

There are several elements nearly completed that are off-scene but this is how the main scenic boards stand as at today.

steve

F37D7771-B54A-479C-9058-2655B4CFC458.jpeg

• Like 5

• steve1 changed the title to Clowder Streeet renamed Diversion/Umleitung

I wasn't happy with the original name of Clowder Street, plus it didn't fit when running as a DB layout.

Looking at one of my (many!) Status Quo albums I saw the word Umleiting. This translates as Diversion; so, as this layout is a diversion from finishing off Rectory Farm Sidings, I decided on the joint name of Diversion for BR running and Umleitung for DB.

What do you think?

steve

• 4 weeks later...
  • steve1 changed the title to Diversion/Umleitung - 23 Dec Update
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Been having a go at weathering the 48DS. I was after a "used but not abused" look and employed paints, powders and chalk. 

steve

4483FB78-0A38-46A9-9EFA-87C66F246899.jpeg

11FAC898-EAB4-4507-B2FF-A48E2C67FBDB.jpeg

76E9F688-362F-4F16-B8A5-2849A0982447.jpeg

Edited by steve1
Add images
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• steve1 changed the title to Diversion/Umleitung - 4 Feb 2021 Update
  • steve1 changed the title to Diversion/Umleitung - 5 Feb 2021 Update
  • RMweb Gold

Look good Steve, how did you do the door rollers etc? They look really good...

Also isn't the door handle rather low? The top is only 14 courses of brick from the ground? 

Keep it coming! 

Ralf

• Thanks 1