Exclusive OO Gauge Class 89 produced by Accurascale

Oliver Rails

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I may be wrong, but I don't think it ever carried a name while it was in its original livery.

No picture of the 89 unfortunately but my Uncle drove the 47 pulling the launch train with 89001 at the naming.

2AE3B270-5DF7-40E0-86BC-7FFDE1FBAEC5.jpeg.1eb6470d4565eed6cabd5641bd980643.jpeg

• Like 8

I know it's not always 100% accurate but Wikipedia says:

As the development of the ECML Electrification continued, the engine was painted into the new style InterCity Swallow livery and named Avocet, in recognition of the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (RSPB), by Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher on 16 January 1989 at King's Cross station. After the ceremony the locomotive hauled a special train conveying the RSPB president Magnus Magnusson, along with other VIPs, to Sandy.

LINK

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, InterCity80s said:

That's a great picture Boxbrownie.

It is indeed, credit included on it.......it was given to my Uncle just after the time, another one of my Uncle but no idea of the photographer this time and a slightly different Loco ;)

AF2E9A28-2E8A-48AD-8F6D-177186C0C440.jpeg.91c1d40b2cce493ae8474e1e5de53366.jpeg

• Like 7

Only carried the name whilst in Inter-City Swallow Livery.

Original Livery 

Modified original Livery with end number 

and just a couple of months after Repainting into Swallow and naming 

89001 King's Cross 29/3/1989

Really looking forward to this model immensely 

Cheers Trailrage 

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

The side on view really shows this loco off, it is a beautifully designed and proportioned loco and will grace any layout. Lets hope for some positive news soon.

• Like 3
  • Agree 6

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

The announcement has been on the site since May with no further news beyond registrations of interest. At what point do we say 'Ah well it was a good idea while it lasted' Or will fate/sods law intervene and a manufacturer announce one in a few weeks time when the New Year speculation fest starts ?

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, 7013 said:

The announcement has been on the site since May with no further news beyond registrations of interest. 

updated November 2nd ;)

On 02/11/2020 at 13:02, Oliver Rails said:

Interest continues to grow for the project and we aim to give an update shortly. 

Many thanks
Oliver @ Rails

to add a livery, that looks like progress to drum up feasibility of more options rather than abandoning it :) 

On 02/11/2020 at 13:21, Oliver Rails said:

Also, We have added the restored 2020 Intercity Swallow named 'Avocet' to the potential list. We have had many inquiries regarding should the project progress, would the new restored livery be produced.

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Thanks 1

On 01/11/2020 at 22:45, TRAILRAGE said:

It's easy to find the Link, go to Google Type "Rails Class 89" and this comes up.

Or any other search engine...

While "Google" has become a new word for "Search", it really shouldn't have.

It's great at finding content on websites rather than website searches (as seen by the example of the Class 89) but the search engine is a mess, loves to track what you search for and offers nothing over and above other search engines that can be better at finding content.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks PaulRhB, the 2,11,20 update does adda little and it is encouraging that they say 'interest continues to grow'. However that said there must be a finite time where they say....Yay or Nay.....I hope its the former.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, No Decorum said:

As part of the “growing interest”, I added a GNER version to my previous expression. Would any kind and erudite person help me by explaining when the GNER logo was white and when it was gold?

I am not 100% certain as it was a long time ago now, but I have it in my head that it was white until tarted-up for the Doncaster open day in July 2003. 

Roy

• Thanks 1

Strange one this, appreciate they need to hit their numbers but would have thought they'd have at least given some indication or continued to drum up interest. Unless something has scared them off, maybe we need to wait for announcements from other manufacturers, particularly those who might knock out some Mk4's....

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, BR(S) said:

And no Hornby announcement of a Class 89!

That was my concern , that Hornby would snatch this one from Rails. However with MK4s in the pipeline and the prototypes renovation it will hopefully give added impetus to those who are unsure yet to take the plunge and send an EOI. It would be sad if such an icon were never made in model form.

16 hours ago, 7013 said:

That was my concern , that Hornby would snatch this one from Rails. However with MK4s in the pipeline and the prototypes renovation it will hopefully give added impetus to those who are unsure yet to take the plunge and send an EOI. It would be sad if such an icon were never made in model form.

The Class 89 isn't Hornby territory at all. I have no idea why people imagined a Class 89 from Hornby in the first place... 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

The Class 89 isn't Hornby territory at all. I have no idea why people imagined a Class 89 from Hornby in the first place... 

You are right but I think there a few reasons you could think that way:

• There are less and less locos that have not been done before.
  • Hornby produce or will be producing all the rolling stock suitable to run with the 89.
  • Hornby have done one off steam locos - e.g. the LNER W1.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, BR Blue said:

You are right but I think there a few reasons you could think that way:

• There are less and less locos that have not been done before.
  • Hornby produce or will be producing all the rolling stock suitable to run with the 89.
  • Hornby have done one off steam locos - e.g. the LNER W1.

I still don't think it's something Hornby will touch. 

Hornby doing 2 AC electrics in a year or so is something we can only dream of. We already have a Class 91 in the works alongside an APT-P. That in itself is enough. 

One-off steam locos is Hornby's thing. One-off diesels and electrics, not so much. Hornby is a steam-centric brand. As we have lesser and lesser locos to make, they'll do more steam locos than anything else. 

• Agree 2

Accurascale has mooted an announcement in January - I wonder if that announcement is they are going solo with the 89? IMO Rails has sat on this too long, especially considering they are producing things like 18000 which went ahead with no question.

Cheers,

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 60800 said:

Accurascale has mooted an announcement in January - I wonder if that announcement is they are going solo with the 89? IMO Rails has sat on this too long, especially considering they are producing things like 18000 which went ahead with no question.

Cheers,

They have said it's a wagon.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1