Exclusive OO Gauge Class 89 produced by Accurascale

Oliver Rails

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, 60800 said:

IMO Rails has sat on this too long,

Well they haven’t actually lost anything by not moving on the public info have they? If anything it gives more time to spread the news in a year where they don’t have as many other outlets to promote it at shows. I spread the news to a couple of non Rmweb friends who hadn’t heard about it because they hadn’t got to shops to pick up their normal mags as sources of info. 
They will decide if it’s viable and no one is suffering financially from the wait as they haven’t taken deposits, surely the piggybank has more time to acclimatise too ;) 

I put in my Eoi on the version I favour but I’d switch to the other intercity option if my first choice wasn’t viable. Fingers crossed it all goes ahead. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I suppose there are a couple of things here, the longer we write about it, the longer it is kept at the forefront and the more chance of people expressing interest. Of course with no firm commitment, some people, especially if you have to save for a particular model, may decide in the absence of any news to use those funds for other models. There must be a point where the upward curve of interest flattens out and a decision has to be made, Its coming up to 8 months since the first announcement, one would think that amount of time would be enough. Of course the other factor is the modellers who would like to commit but work is being hampered by the uncertainty of Covid-19 and things like furlough/unemployment, with model railways taking a back seat to normal living expenses...strange times indeed

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, ac1874 said:

Surely someone from Rails must be reading this thread? It has been 8 months now, surely you can either put us out of our misery or tell us how we can help promote the model?

They could be awaiting a production slot at the factory before making a formal announcement.

34 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

They could be awaiting a production slot at the factory before making a formal announcement.

Could be, but you'd have thought they would provide some sort of update. Otherwise risk people spending their budget on something else.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, ac1874 said:

Could be, but you'd have thought they would provide some sort of update. Otherwise risk people spending their budget on something else.

I don't think there is much worry of that, if it does go ahead (or already is going ahead with nothing being said yet) there will still be plenty of advance warning as I would guess Rails of Sheffield would want to show a sample to generate sales prior to booking a production slot - there being more people willing to actually order a definite project rather than do an expression of interest.

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, YesTor said:

Let's hope not.  After all, do we really want an 8-PIN Class 89...  :rolleyes:

Al

TBH a large portion if the market wouldn't be bothered about it. If they were actually bothered by it, either Hornby wouldn't be around today or Hornby would've updated to 21-pin a long time ago... 

An 8-pin DCC socket only bothers the "real modellers", many of whom can be found on online forums that are dedicated to modelling, these forums do not represent the vast majority of the hobby. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

TBH a large portion if the market wouldn't be bothered about it. If they were actually bothered by it, either Hornby wouldn't be around today or Hornby would've updated to 21-pin a long time ago... 

An 8-pin DCC socket only bothers the "real modellers", many of whom can be found on online forums that are dedicated to modelling, these forums do not represent the vast majority of the hobby. 

Hmm, doesn’t a real modeller convert from 8pin to 21pin? That is what I do. I have 21pin 31s, 33s, 45s, 46s, 56s, 153s... I also have Next18 class 17s. All started life as 8pin.

I think the necessity for 21pin is there more from those who want increased play value, not from those who model. 

Roy

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Hmm, doesn’t a real modeller convert from 8pin to 21pin? That is what I do. I have 21pin 31s, 33s, 45s, 46s, 56s, 153s... I also have Next18 class 17s. All started life as 8pin.

I think the necessity for 21pin is there more from those who want increased play value, not from those who model. 

If they can be bothered (which is my issue at the moment), mostly because the 8 to 21 pin conversion on Hornby isn't the awkward part it's the wiring of the LEDs being common ground. TBH even with 21 pin fitted sometimes the functionality is limited although it does make rewiring more straightforward. I have had to rewire my 21 pin Bachmann 37s and 70s to have independent lighting.

Although it does come down to what is regarded as skills a modeler would/should have too.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who would regard themselves as modelers who would't be making electrical modifications to a loco. I on the other hand don't bat an eyelid at getting my soldering iron out but wouldn't tend to make modifications to the exterior of locos unless they were wrong to begin with.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Roy

It isn’t only that Hornby uses 8 pin. The limited functions are odd. For example, I would have thought that it would be much more desirable to be able to switch the tail lights off than to be able to switch between day and night headlights. On the 87s, the cab light is odd as well. It’s not controllable through a decoder (not the one I’ve managed to fit anyhow) but it comes on and stays on when daytime lighting is selected by means of a switch under the loco but it doesn’t operate when night lighting is selected. I like cab lights but I think better none at all than an odd arrangement like this. All I can say in the favour of the arrangement is that at least the cab light is directional.

Play value, perhaps, but good lighting adds to realism.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

It isn’t only that Hornby uses 8 pin. The limited functions are odd. For example, I would have thought that it would be much more desirable to be able to switch the tail lights off than to be able to switch between day and night headlights. On the 87s, the cab light is odd as well. It’s not controllable through a decoder (not the one I’ve managed to fit anyhow) but it comes on and stays on when daytime lighting is selected by means of a switch under the loco but it doesn’t operate when night lighting is selected. I like cab lights but I think better none at all than an odd arrangement like this. All I can say in the favour of the arrangement is that at least the cab light is directional.

Don't get me wrong, I am not being derogatory by saying play value - I love have all the right lighting modes on my models. It is all part of recreating the past.

Roy

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

It's actually more important when a train is moving at speed than a lot of the other details manufacturers and modellers strive to perfect.

A Bachmann 66 tootling around with 1 headlight and the top marker on sticks out like a sore thumb compared to a Hattons one with proper markers.

• Agree 2

On 26/01/2021 at 03:54, Roy Langridge said:

Hmm, doesn’t a real modeller convert from 8pin to 21pin?

Some will, naturally, but as others have said it surely depends on the skills of the individual?  There will of course be those who are competent at many areas of modelling, however many appear to naturally gravitate toward one or two specific areas or subjects to 'master' - one may be the best-on-the-block with an airbrush, woodworking, or whatever, but absolutely rubbish at electronics... 

I've had many a conversation with individuals at exhibition layouts and paid compliment on what have clearly been highly professional standards of modelling (whether it be painting, scenics etc), only then to ask the same person a question regarding say, electronics or woodworking, for which the reply may often be, "Oh, that's so-and-so's department, screwdrivers and the like aren't my thing..."

I guess we can't all be good at everything...  :)

Best

Al

Edited by YesTor
  • Like 2
  • Agree 6

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just a thought on this; given that Accurascale are currently up to their necks with model development, then perhpas this project will go ahead when there is sufficient space in their programme to develop this model.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Rails could also waiting for updates from ACLG regarding the Class 89 but as 7013 said, Accurascale could be so busy with their own projects that the Class 89 could be sitting on the back burner for now.

5 hours ago, jools1959 said:

Rails could also waiting for updates from ACLG regarding the Class 89 but as 7013 said, Accurascale could be so busy with their own projects that the Class 89 could be sitting on the back burner for now.

That may be so but that doesn’t affect whether there are enough expressions of interest for it to go ahead.

13 hours ago, 7013 said:

Just a thought on this; given that Accurascale are currently up to their necks with model development, then perhpas this project will go ahead when there is sufficient space in their programme to develop this model.

Accurascale have got into the habit of announcing things fairly late in the development process.

Their HAA was spotted in a video & when questioned, they stated that it had been under development long before they knew about the Cavalex one & also hinted that theirs may be first.

Who will be first to release their Manor? Accurascale or Dapol? Some insiders may have a good idea but most of us really don't know.

To those complaining, there's nothing to stop you setting up a crowd-funded option for a 89. As I understand it, Rails will have to commit £100,000 to this project and probably not see that money back for 12-18 months. That's a big commitment and one that needs to be very carefully weighed up.

Would anyone still feel so happy to risk that amount with their own money? What's that I see? All those raised hands coming back down again.

I might be in the minority here, but I think Rails WILL produce the 89. Maybe not at the moment, but at some point in the not too distant future. Why? Because it's consistently been one of the most requested models for many years and it will sell in numbers. (No, I have no inside information, just an opinion.)

• Like 3
  • Agree 2