Exclusive OO Gauge Class 89 produced by Accurascale

Oliver Rails

• RMweb Gold

Also remember that Rails also have a number of other projects, such as the SECR D Class, the SECR Box van and the 18100 Gas Turbine and that have yet to hit the shelves.  With the money tied up in those (probably best part of £300k), the Class 89 just might be just one too many for Rails to commit to for now, hence the EOI.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, jools1959 said:

Also remember that Rails also have a number of other projects, such as the SECR D Class, the SECR Box van and the 18100 Gas Turbine and that have yet to hit the shelves.  With the money tied up in those (probably best part of £300k), the Class 89 just might be just one too many for Rails to commit to for now, hence the EOI.

Not forgetting the Caley 0-6-0 and Precursor  both due in Q2

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jools1959 said:

Also remember that Rails also have a number of other projects, such as the SECR D Class, the SECR Box van and the 18100 Gas Turbine ....

Unless I'm out of the loop - surely that's 18000 ?!?

John Isherwood.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I did mention this to Accurascale when I enquired about something else, and they said it will probably go ahead but it is a matter of timing.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, guarded said:

Fran has just posted a update about this on Facebook.Theyre still working on it.

Where on the accurascale page?

Its almost a year since first announced was going to buy a caterpillar cake and celebrate its birthday!

1 minute ago, Markwj said:

Where on the accurascale page?

Its almost a year since first announced was going to buy a caterpillar cake and celebrate its birthday!

It's in the official Class 89 "The Badger group.

Only confirming that work is in progress but access to Soho Depot is restricted atm so scanning or measuring isn't possible. 

• Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

That's great news. I was beginning to think that the lack of updates may have been due to a lack of interest from potential purchasers and so Rails/Accurascale had decided it wasn't worth proceeding.

Edited by InterCity80s
  • Like 1

I rather like the class 89 and there are a number of other rather attractive overhead electrics currently planned or on the market, but I won't be going for one as I don't fancy the knitting above the layout.  Fragile & reduces access for the hand of God too much.

Seems a bit much to call a one-off loco a "class" though.

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I rather like the class 89 and there are a number of other rather attractive overhead electrics currently planned or on the market, but I won't be going for one as I don't fancy the knitting above the layout.  Fragile & reduces access for the hand of God too much.

I have the 37 - just need the 89 now......

89001 37884 0Q70 Stenson Jnc

No knitting for me.

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Seems a bit much to call a one-off loco a "class" though.

I haven't decided what I am going to do when I finally get scenery put down, but I am considering putting posts in minus wires just for ease of use. I don't know how good an effect this produces but I am sure it will be an improvement on the electric stuff having nothing.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, newbryford said:

I have the 37 - just need the 89 now......

89001 37884 0Q70 Stenson Jnc

No knitting for me.

A similar example, I was looking for stock to go with 60028 (trying to make up excuses to buy the upcoming model beyond "I like the colour") and found this:

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, TomScrut said:

I haven't decided what I am going to do when I finally get scenery put down, but I am considering putting posts in minus wires just for ease of use. I don't know how good an effect this produces but I am sure it will be an improvement on the electric stuff having nothing.

I have always had a soft spot for the overheads, no idea why as I was brought up cab riding on the ECML from a dot, but I think it might have been the Triang “Electra” whizzing around an oval on the front room carpet sparking off the terrible OHLE joints with the lights off......it looked brilliant to a little kid.

My new layout is small but I am seriously considering overhead for it, I bought a load of Dapol OHLE packs going dead cheap at Dapol (I think they might be loosing interest in it)......I’ll plant the posts first then decide if my now shaky old hands can manage to thread the wires, or get my 2 year old Grandson to help, can’t be much worse :lol:

And to think this new layout was started out just going to be a GW branch roundy roundy!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

I bought a load of Dapol OHLE packs going dead cheap at Dapol

I nearly jumped on that, should have done really. I ought to get some bought really, even at £12 for 10 they aren't badly priced.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

My new layout is small but I am seriously considering overhead for it, I bought a load of Dapol OHLE packs going dead cheap at Dapol (I think they might be loosing interest in it)......I’ll plant the posts first then decide if my now shaky old hands can manage to thread the wires, or get my 2 year old Grandson to help, can’t be much worse :lol:

The Dapol wires are relatively easy to install, but are a bit fiddly.  The key to good installation is get the post locations spot on, or you may find your wire is slightly too short, causing the register arms to bend, or too long, causing a loss of tension.  I speak from experience, my baseboards are like Swiss Cheese because I was a few mm out in post installation.  I also found adding a blob of superglue to the wires once fixed on the mast to be invaluable, as track cleaning can be an issue if like me you are a bit clumsy.  More than once the wires came pinging off because I caught the mast with the rubber, but now I've superglued them they are robust.  I recently bought a Woodland Scenics track cleaning kit, which has track rubbers on a long stick which has improved access for track cleaning under the wires no end.

Personally I'm glad I installed the Dapol OHLE system on "Wednesford" and although just a scenic, cosmetic installation (and yes, technically the wrong type of mast for the West Midlands 1966 electrification...) and despite the faff induced for track cleaning, it really does add a subtle yet effective touch.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

From Rail's just now:

"Many thanks to everyone who has registered interest in purchasing a OO gauge Class 89. 

It seems a long time since we opened up the interest form and lots of things have happened in the world since then! The 89 is still on our to do list. Covid has caused delays in Accurascale obtaining necessary information. Now things are slowly opening back up we hope to be able to progress this and will update everyone in due course."

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, TomScrut said:

I nearly jumped on that, should have done really. I ought to get some bought really, even at £12 for 10 they aren't badly priced.

It seemed churlish not to, I think some were about a third of the price......I figured even if I didn’t use them I could put them on for sale and get my money back.

Not a hint, because I really do have the intention to use them :D

@wombatofludham thanks for the info, I think my plan would be to install just one and then work along from that, very carefully.

56 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

It seemed churlish not to, I think some were about a third of the price......I figured even if I didn’t use them I could put them on for sale and get my money back.

Not a hint, because I really do have the intention to use them :D

@wombatofludham thanks for the info, I think my plan would be to install just one and then work along from that, very carefully.

The other thing that has me scratching my head is why the Dapol ones are £12 for 10 and the Peco ones are £8 each!

• Agree 1

Peco ones are metal I think whilst the Dapol ones are plastic.  The fact I've only just learned how to solder after 45 years of trying was another push towards the solderless Dapol masts.  I seem to recall the Peco ones need some components soldering on but don't quote me on that.  I suspect the Peco option would be more robust but for many the Dapol option will be adequate.

The one good thing about Peco is they are still committed to do multi-track portal gantries which Dapol dropped like a hot brick some years back.  Whether the increase in interest in overhead line modelling might make them rethink that decision is hard to tell, but for the moment Peco are the only manufacturer who is still publicly stating they will produce multi-track gantries (which of course are very useful when modelling stations).

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I have been waiting patiently for the multi track gantries from either, I gave up on the Dapol ever seeing the light of day and the PECO ones look like maybe going the same way, but there is a chap on here who is in the planning stage of making his own and for sale to the general dirty public, I hold more hope out for those before the others!