Exclusive OO Gauge Class 89 produced by Accurascale

Oliver Rails

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

Peco did list the multi-track gantries in the 2020 "Spring Report" (an online leaflet thing)

Peco 2020 Spring Report

Indeed they did, but we are still waiting........it’s not as if it’s a new model locomotive which takes (seemingly many years) to develop and research.

I am sure they have all the good intentions of producing them, but.

Spring 2020 was about 5 years ago, so I think we might be able to forgive the wait.

Plus there's been issues with manufacturing track and other things due to the pandemic. I think we all need to collectively take a step back and take a breath with manufacturers.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, 69843 said:

Spring 2020 was about 5 years ago, so I think we might be able to forgive the wait.

Plus there's been issues with manufacturing track and other things due to the pandemic. I think we all need to collectively take a step back and take a breath with manufacturers.

The gantries were announced quite a bit before spring 2020 that’s just an update, I think about the same time as the packs were introduced PECO stated they were going to produce a range of OHLE components including gantries and power masts, which nothing has been heard of since.

Edited by boxbrownie

I remember reading a post somewhere on this forum that someone had asked Peco about the gantries and got told that the delay had been in part down to a decision to move production from Sommerfeldt to in house, but then hit further problems with the in-house production not being robust enough.  It seems that they are determined to do them but the project has had an unfortunate series of setbacks, the most latest being Peco turning a lot of their production over to PPE for the pandemic and now playing catch-up with their mainstream track production.

It's good that Peco are still showing these as under development, it would have been easy for them to do a Dapol and abandon them altogether if the turn of events others have described is correct.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

On 09/05/2021 at 00:46, wombatofludham said:

I remember reading a post somewhere on this forum that someone had asked Peco about the gantries and got told that the delay had been in part down to a decision to move production from Sommerfeldt to in house, but then hit further problems with the in-house production not being robust enough.  It seems that they are determined to do them but the project has had an unfortunate series of setbacks, the most latest being Peco turning a lot of their production over to PPE for the pandemic and now playing catch-up with their mainstream track production.

It's good that Peco are still showing these as under development, it would have been easy for them to do a Dapol and abandon them altogether if the turn of events others have described is correct.

I find some comfort in that. As robust and whatever the previous OHE masts were, they had their errors that I just couldn't look past. I think Peco will do a better job in terms of accuracy.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, e30ftw said:

Hi Rails of Shefield

A year after the anouncment, is this project still viable with the expressions of intrest or has it been paused or canceled?

Thnaks

There was a recent update in an email- they couldn’t get access to the loco where it was and due to COVID but the email stated it was still on the to do list.

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Some good news for the real life class 89 here:

https://www.facebook.com/103480908562557/posts/241133041464009/?sfnsn=scwspmo

Maybe this could be a factor in the model being produced?

Thanks, how to make one feel old in 2 lines…

“I can’t believe this opportunity has arisen, this is one locomotive I’ve always been interested in as my grandad worked in Crewe Works whilst she was built“

I remember it being built, and also remember what the 89 was built to replace,  also being built at Crewe.. plus also underlined all its predecessor’s Newton-Le-Willows product before that too !

I walk the streets still thinking i’m 20.

I find it bizarre that Rails is doing the 80, but procrastinating on the 89… If it were my choice it’d be an easy hands down decision. 

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Obsidian Quarry said:

It's wonderful to see progress being made with the real loco.

I really do hope this project still goes ahead one day. While I'm not big on "modern" locos I will always happily open my wallet for the badger.

Same here. I have no need for it, but neither to I have a need for a 37 or a 55 and I have one of each on order :D

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

We can only guess what the delay is but hopefully with a load of the other special editions being well received now they are here I’m hoping it was just budgeting. 
I have no layout for the APT or 90 I’ve bought but I still want a 91 and 89 to complete the set of ‘locos of the future’ from childhood. Fingers crossed it will give it another bump. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 2

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, 47606odin said:

Well, having just bought another Bachmann 85, a Heljan 86, a Hornby 87, a Bachmann 90 and 2 accurascale 92’s, I definitely need an 89 to fill the gap

We all do.

But nearly 2 years in and no word about placing orders, and no real activity or promotion doesn't stack up-to a lot of confidence.

I just find it odd why they havent openly committed to an 89 yet jumping in feet first on a class 80 that very few alive have ever seen operational, let alone had for haulage, and was out of service before its very predecessors its aimed to replace were.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

We all do.

But nearly 2 years in and no word about placing orders, and no real activity or promotion doesn't stack up-to a lot of confidence.

I just find it odd why they havent openly committed to an 89 yet jumping in feet first on a class 80 that very few alive have ever seen operational, let alone had for haulage, and was out of service before its very predecessors its aimed to replace were.

E1000 / E2001 are mere by-products of 18100 - and the money will be made from the latter model.

Like it or not, the ready money comes from the BR steam era - and 18100 is an honorary steam loco!

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold

I do wonder if this has moved to being a purely accurascale release which we will see announced once the Deltics or another awaited loco has arrived as they won’t announce any new loco’s until we have one in our hands.

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

E1000 / E2001 are mere by-products of 18100 - and the money will be made from the latter model.

Like it or not, the ready money comes from the BR steam era - and 18100 is an honorary steam loco!

John Isherwood.

All those plain black J15, J50, K1,K3, S15, Radial, N mogul…. Just cant sell enough of them eh ?

6 hours ago, Markwj said:

I do wonder if this has moved to being a purely accurascale release which we will see announced once the Deltics or another awaited loco has arrived as they won’t announce any new loco’s until we have one in our hands.

apparently accurascale are announcing a new OO product in Glasgow this week, so maybe, clutching at straws, it will be the commitment to 89001

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, 47606odin said:

apparently accurascale are announcing a new OO product in Glasgow this week, so maybe, clutching at straws, it will be the commitment to 89001

im hoping for something with a Scottish connection which 89001 doesn’t really have 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 47606odin said:

Its a Rails project, Accurascale are 'merely' making it for them, so Rails will do the announcing. It wont be the 89 thats announced

Edited by LaGrange

• RMweb Gold
On 02/11/2020 at 13:02, Oliver Rails said:

Interest continues to grow for the project and we aim to give an update shortly. 

Many thanks
Oliver @ Rails

Oliver, 

Is it possible to provide an update as it’s over twelve months since the last official statement?

Thanks