Exclusive OO Gauge Class 89 produced by Accurascale

Oliver Rails

On 16/04/2022 at 18:19, boxbrownie said:

Wow…that is some Magnatrac system 😄

No, it's a new high strength olhe.  By putting all the stress on the wire, saves track wear........

Also proves down under trains don't fall off.  Don't suggest you try it with a new Class 90.....  .

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, McC said:

But would you really want a big LED breaking the fidelity and accuracy of a pantograph?

Not so much a big LED as an LED you can genuinely hardly see.

Please forgive my clumsy effort at hiding the wiring, my dexterity is not what it was and I gave up before breaking something.

5A0E8999-939C-4336-90D9-AC4813DAEA85.jpeg.eecfd57d82abea4fca88c04036d96186.jpeg486CBF38-8F4C-4685-B5EA-503339AA9016.jpeg.974ed3ff56798b4c06ae915473a9acca.jpeg

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

Not so much a big LED as an LED you can genuinely hardly see.

Please forgive my clumsy effort at hiding the wiring, my dexterity is not what it was and I gave up before breaking something.

5A0E8999-939C-4336-90D9-AC4813DAEA85.jpeg.eecfd57d82abea4fca88c04036d96186.jpeg486CBF38-8F4C-4685-B5EA-503339AA9016.jpeg.974ed3ff56798b4c06ae915473a9acca.jpeg

With a surface mount LED it should be relatively easy.  The complex part is getting the wires there.....  Perhaps have the pantograph as a conductor, with fine insulated wire within for the return, may possibly work?

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Torbay Express said:

With a surface mount LED it should be relatively easy.  The complex part is getting the wires there.....  Perhaps have the pantograph as a conductor, with fine insulated wire within for the return, may possibly work?

Indeed, when I was modifying the Hornby Panto I thought exactly that, if designed from scratch it would be relatively easy to have the fine enamelled wires run down the arms to each clip in connector at the base of the Hornby Panto, these could actually be used to provide the contact for the wires from the body, so the Panto could just be unclipped without needed to be separately electrically “unplugged” with wire connectors.

Easy peasy…….isn’t it McC? 😄

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Easy peasy…….isn’t it McC? 😄

Not if the panto is already metal, and moving :) 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, McC said:

Not if the panto is already metal, and moving :) 

Ah excuses. If its metal then you already have one side of the circuit sorted. Just need one return wire and you're golden 😉

Edited by Br60066
  • Funny 1

50 minutes ago, Br60066 said:

Ah excuses. If its metal then you already have one side of the circuit sorted. Just need one return wire and you're golden 😉

I don't think with A/S pedigree of models, then excuses is the correct wording. 

Probably as a company that produces models, for an ever critical bunch of consumers, then proving reliable operation is perhaps the biggest stalling point, especially if the pantograph is operational too, and is to be properly scaled as per Class 92.  In reality it is probably too much to ask of such fine components, without compromising accuracy and reliability?

Let's not be too critical and to keep things in context - remember that one manufacturer is still doing plastic posable pantographs after many, many years in the business!  Progress eh?

• Agree 1

From memory There is a copper pipe running down the pantograph which supplies air to the pan head which vents to atmosphere cause the pan to drop if a carbon strip is lost, and copper braided on the elbows etc, as you don’t have electricity pass through moving joints etc like bearings as the arcing in the join burns it away, so the wire doesn’t have to be 100% hidden

• Informative/Useful 2

22 minutes ago, Torbay Express said:

I don't think with A/S pedigree of models, then excuses is the correct wording. 

Probably as a company that produces models, for an ever critical bunch of consumers, then proving reliable operation is perhaps the biggest stalling point, especially if the pantograph is operational too, and is to be properly scaled as per Class 92.  In reality it is probably too much to ask of such fine components, without compromising accuracy and reliability?

Let's not be too critical and to keep things in context - remember that one manufacturer is still doing plastic posable pantographs after many, many years in the business!  Progress eh?

Oh no don’t worry I made that comment with my tongue fully in my cheek!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, PieGuyRob said:

I don't have an Olivias Trains version, but I did build the Silver Fox kit many years ago. It is a resin body with moulded grilles. I replaced the moulded grilles with some see through etched brass grilles that used to be available from A1 Models. I would say it was good for its time and stands up reasonably well today. However, it probably isn't as good as a modern production model would be. A good substitute if the Rails/Accurascale model doesn't happen.

Class-89 (1).gif

Edited by Wagonmaster
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

A tiny bit more expensive than I expected, but not too bad given that other running numbers are not an option without doing *what if* liveries. 

Anyway, that's current condition sound fitted ordered! 

Cheers,

• Like 2

• AY Mod locked this topic