Exclusive OO Gauge Class 89 produced by Accurascale

Oliver Rails

5 hours ago, classy52 said:

I'm sure AS/Rails or someone else can confirm but absolutely a no-brainer to do today's preserved prototype, I'll be definitely getting one if the project goes ahead.

I agree, in fairness I'd probably have IC swallow and plead ignorance about subtle differences but an as preserved one would be the ideal.

Would the buyers wanting one from the late 80s/early 90s get hung up on Swallow Vs Mainline/Executive?

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, TomScrut said:

I agree, in fairness I'd probably have IC swallow and plead ignorance about subtle differences but an as preserved one would be the ideal.

Would the buyers wanting one from the late 80s/early 90s get hung up on Swallow Vs Mainline/Executive?

if done right, Intercity Swallow now should only be marginally different to before...

Though back in the 1990’s it did appear with white walled wheels and quartered buffers for a while and looked stunning.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, newbryford said:

Errrr - I thought it was already on the intended list? (Albeit the current version would have the more modern OLE flashes)

Mentioned in the OP.

Scroll down this page:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSf5E3oHzS4SRlWqFg9rPgJyoArkOf2Yo6uz2hgK_0vWliUwPg/viewform

Aren't the flashes the same size & can therefore be completely covered by a transfer? That would not be as involved as a complete repaint or even having to rub off numbers.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Aren't the flashes the same size & can therefore be completely covered by a transfer? That would not be as involved as a complete repaint or even having to rub off numbers.

Ssshhh.....

That may involve doing some modelling thing other than opening the box.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 7

On 15/07/2020 at 19:32, TomScrut said:

Not sure what you mean by this?

If you mean, would they settle for Swallow in place of Mainline/Executive then in this case, definitely not!

Guy

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, lyneux said:

Not sure what you mean by this?

If you mean, would they settle for Swallow in place of Mainline/Executive then in this case, definitely not!

Guy

I meant the opposite actually.

As swallow and mainline/executive are being done, if the only swallow one was the current version, the choice would be for late 80s/early 90s of having a slightly inaccurate swallow or the accurate alternative of around the same time period.

I aren't saying it doesn't matter just asking the question out of interest.

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, TomScrut said:

I meant the opposite actually.

As swallow and mainline/executive are being done, if the only swallow one was the current version, the choice would be for late 80s/early 90s of having a slightly inaccurate swallow or the accurate alternative of around the same time period.

I aren't saying it doesn't matter just asking the question out of interest.

I think 1990’s.

the current livery shouldn’t be that far from the truth though.

• RMweb Gold

I think Toton have done a awesome job on the paintwork but I have to ask, has the ACLG any plans in the future to put it under the wires and under power to see if “it lives” or turns into “Puff the magic dragon” :P:P:P

7 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I think 1990’s.

the current livery shouldn’t be that far from the truth though.

I think a current one would probably sell well though, although if the livery application is identical (which we don't know yet AFAIK) then maybe the jumpers, nameplate etc. could be dealt with in the detailing pack perhaps? Just a thought. The OHLE flashes will be a bit more subtle than the other things I think?

• RMweb Gold

OHLE flashes

Maybe they could look at scratch card technology and put the modern ones on top so you scratch them off for the original or let ‘natural scuffing’ reveal old ones beneath ;)

:diablo_mini: (yes I know it’s had a full repaint)

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PaulRhB said:

OHLE flashes

Maybe they could look at scratch card technology and put the modern ones on top so you scratch them off for the original or let ‘natural scuffing’ reveal old ones beneath ;)

:diablo_mini: (yes I know it’s had a full repaint)

What do you win if you find all matching ones underneath?

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, TomScrut said:

I think a current one would probably sell well though, although if the livery application is identical (which we don't know yet AFAIK) then maybe the jumpers, nameplate etc. could be dealt with in the detailing pack perhaps? Just a thought. The OHLE flashes will be a bit more subtle than the other things I think?

probably, but it’s not yet run, so demand won’t be as high until it has some mileage behind it... even then, what mileage that will be..and what type of work... theres already 31x high speed AC Electrics going spare.

I’m still interested to see what plan is behind the investment spent on 89001, that made disposing of 86101/87002 more sense to do.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

that made disposing of 86101/87002 more sense to do

I guess the other locos have higher commercial resale value because they aren’t unique so useful as a source of spares or to be used with the larger spares pool available?

1 hour ago, Bucoops said:

What do you win if you find all matching ones underneath

Scratch n sniff! OHLE signs underneath with a gentle smell of burnt carbon ;) 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

I’m still interested to see what plan is behind the investment spent on 89001

I can't help but think that it must be to do with charters, otherwise why go to the trouble of restoring a hard to service one off loco? As you say its not like LNER 20 years ago.

It is also more powerful than an 86, 87 or 90 though so haulage capacity may be greater for goods work? 86, 87s and 90s have a slightly higher tractive effort so I'd expect they could get a heavier train moving but that doesn't really indicate performance at speed where power is more important.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, adb968008 said:

probably, but it’s not yet run, so demand won’t be as high until it has some mileage behind it... even then, what mileage that will be..and what type of work... theres already 31x high speed AC Electrics going spare.

I’m still interested to see what plan is behind the investment spent on 89001, that made disposing of 86101/87002 more sense to do.

Has it been GSMR fitted?  Not seen any mention.

Roy

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Has it been GSMR fitted?  Not seen any mention.

Roy

It’s in the presentation linked above along with all the other work to do. NRN to be removed and then GSMR fitted. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Depends on manufacturer. Revolution stick to a period of a few months. Whereas KR Models have kept the one for their N gauge GT3 open since the announcement. 

Ok ta, would assume the EOI for this Class 89 would probably go on for a while longer or until the minimum goal is reached thus whichever comes first.

• RMweb Gold
On 30/07/2020 at 14:41, Pre Grouping fan said:

Depends on manufacturer. Revolution stick to a period of a few months. Whereas KR Models have kept the one for their N gauge GT3 open since the announcement. 

On 30/07/2020 at 15:00, classy52 said:

Ok ta, would assume the EOI for this Class 89 would probably go on for a while longer or until the minimum goal is reached thus whichever comes first.

the longer it goes, the less good the signs are.

• Agree 3