Best way of joining several wires togther

Windjabbers

Sorry, really basic question here, I need to join 8 wires to one on a common return in to a CDU Capacitor Discharge Unit.

What's the name of the 'thing' that I can uses to do this.

Can't search for something when I don't know what its called, if you see what I mean!

Thanks

David

Soldering iron.

Henley block (all terminals are common).

Screw terminal block (fit one or two returns per terminal and run a common wire between each terminal).

Crimps of various sorts.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Windjabbers said:

Sorry, really basic question here, I need to join 8 wires to one on a common return in to a CDU Capacitor Discharge Unit.

What's the name of the 'thing' that I can uses to do this.

Can't search for something when I don't know what its called, if you see what I mean!

Thanks

David

I've moved to Wago connectors - see Ebay for plenty of choices.  You need either the 221 or 222 version.  They're cheap and you can connect wires to them without soldering or using a screwdriver - big advantage if you're working under the baseboard. If the wires are all of the same gauge, you can put two wires into each slot, so a 5-way would be fine for 8 wires. I use double-sided sticky tabs to fix to underside of the baseboard. 

Edited by RFS
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Further to my post regarding Wago connectors. I simply bought a box of 60 for use around the layout. A set like this can be had for just under £10 from a variety of Ebay sellers.

They also show up on an Ebay search for "wire nuts" for perhaps they're the latest incarnation ....

wago.JPG.31b83acbd20b66a5594a4cdea640a3ff.JPG

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WIMorrison said:

@itg Those are for connecting terminal strips not for connecting WAGO connectors (which I must admit have never heard of being referred to as Wire Nuts)

They probably show up as 'wire nuts' because they are a replacement for them.

The first time I tried to change a light fitting over here I looked at the wire nuts provided and wondered where the screw terminal connectors had got to :D

Last time I swapped out an old fluorescent light fixture I binned the wire nuts and used two way Wago connectors instead.

Regards,

John P

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

WIM, yes, I don’t use the two types of connectors (Wago and terminal strips) together. Just two different options for different circumstances.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sjp23480 said:

or you can use an earth terminal block, pretty cheap from Screwfix or similar:

image.png.565f7080e64c283e638d4a1a796aaae9.png

If using these earth terminal blocks, you might want to consider putting them in the optional plastic covers (boxes), to prevent any unwanted electrical connections or shorts, if they’re accidentally touched or caught with a metal object or stray bit of wire.

Leaving them “bare” with a potential 5 amp current running through them, isn’t that appealing to me.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

If using these earth terminal blocks, you might want to consider putting them in the optional plastic covers (boxes), to prevent any unwanted electrical connections or shorts, if they’re accidentally touched or caught with a metal object or stray bit of wire.

Leaving them “bare” with a potential 5 amp current running through them, isn’t that appealing to me.

Thanks for the tip.

Best Wishes

David

+1 for Wago connectors, they are far superior to Scotch Lok which are often recommended for quick screwless connections. Wagos will happily connect a wide range of wire from 4mm sq. down to 7/0.2. I can attest to the latter having tested to destruction, I pulled the wire apart before the Wago let go.

Do go for the the genuine ones as there are a lot of clones on the market and their properties could be suspect.

Richard

Edited by Tricky Dicky
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, WIMorrison said:

ScotchLok and Wago connectors have very different use cases and are not replacements for each other.

Please explain how? You can make exactly the same kind of connection with the appropriate Wago as you can with a ScotchLok with the advantage that a Wago can cope with a greater range of wire sizes. The only circumstance I can see a ScotchLok would be better was if your wiring was strung out like guitar strings.

Richard

ScotchLoks are IDCs for splicing into wires without breaking the wire, whereas with Wago need you to split the wire which you cannot do in a loom or cable bundle.

They are complementary to each other, not subsidies for each other

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, Tricky Dicky said:

Please explain how? You can make exactly the same kind of connection with the appropriate Wago as you can with a ScotchLok 

[edited to correct typo]

Try using a Wago without cutting the wire you are joining to.

I think Scothlok got a bad reputation through being used by "grease monkeys" on car electrical systems. They work well when used correctly, i.e., correct sized connector matched to the wire.

Edited by Crosland
typo

4 hours ago, Crosland said:

Try using a Scotchlok without cutting the wire you are joining to.

I think Scothlok got a bad reputation through being used by "grease monkeys" on car electrical systems. They work well when used correctly, i.e., correct sized connector matched to the wire.

Isn't that a typo?

Try using a Wago without cutting the wire ....

John P

• Funny 1