When to varnish Scalescenes kits?

• RMweb Gold

Hi All, 

Just about to embark on a Scalescenes T026 Factory / Warehouse and see the instructions advise varnishing before starting construction, then again at the end there's a reminder to varnish the built kit if you haven't already... 

Of my Scalescenes downloads three advise varnishing first with a later reminder whereas one only mentions varnishing it after construction...

Is there a consensus (ha ha!) of opinion on when to varnish print at home card kits? Doing it before allows re-printing any sheets you make a mess of varnishing but doing it after seems a lot easier than varnishing 30ish sheets of A4 separately! 

Thoughts please folks...

Ralf

ps Planning on using Testors Dull Cote that I've had lying around in a rattle can for, erm, 15 years unless anyone screams don't do it... 

I have built a lot of these.  I always apply the Krylon Matte finish to the coloured prints before anything else.

Hard to make of this unless you use something ridiculous.  I don't think Dullcote  is a problem.  I just think it is more expensive and harder to get than Krylon.

If you smear glue during build then spraying varnish over those areas will disguise it.  Obviously you may want to mask the windows, unless you want a dirty look.

John

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks folks, opted for before with my 15ish year old Testors Dullcote it seems it's gone off or something! I shook it lots and lots but mainly propellant came out with the odd burst of varnish, even tried shaking side-to-side during spray but didn't get anything much... Now I'm stuck to know if any sheets got a decent coat or not, some as you can see below didn't and it's very apparent in some lighting conditions! 

zIMG_9460.jpg.6d6a66b7bea7fa1a1c8995edc9cbb2e8.jpg

So I've been shopping for some Ghiant Acryl Clear Lacquer Matt 300ml (Can) for another attempt! 

Ralf

I use a laserjet printer - have never varnished anything and not yet noticed any colour fading.

I understand laserjet prints are less susceptible to UV than inkjet, but I'd be interested to hear from other laserjet users how their models have fared over time. I've put a lot of hours into mine so I'm wondering if I should be varnishing them, trouble is most of them are completed (and thus glazed...) now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 23/05/2020 at 13:58, ash39 said:

I use a laserjet printer - have never varnished anything and not yet noticed any colour fading.

I understand laserjet prints are less susceptible to UV than inkjet, but I'd be interested to hear from other laserjet users how their models have fared over time. I've put a lot of hours into mine so I'm wondering if I should be varnishing them, trouble is most of them are completed (and thus glazed...) now.

Likewise, I use a laser printer and good quality paper and have not found a particular need for varnish. That said, I have varnished  the odd building, after construction. 

Roy