East Coast - Express and Pullman trains - Steam/Green diesel transition era

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Not for me but an interested other!

Looking for information on train rakes/carriage sets for ECML in Scotland in the mid 60's to mid 70's period.

Also change over dates from steam to diesel power for the named trains for the same period.

Thanks

Phil H

For the first part try: https://brcoachingstock.groups.io/g/main  Was a Yahoo Group but moved over when Yahoo Groups seemed to come to an end.

It has had various carriage marshalling documents available as PDFs.  I think if you join then there is a list somewhere of those that are available.  And others seem to be added occasionally - there have been a few this week.  I think it has even had early 1960s recently.  The stated period not of interest o me so not aware if this has any uploads.

Second part is probably far harder, but I would guess that some named trains on the ECML, at least south of Edinburgh changed from steam to diesel when the Deltics came into service.  This on the basis that they were on the prestige trains which in turn were presumably the named ones!

Hope this helps.

• Agree 1

The Deltics started taking over from steam in 1961, that year marked the last London-Edinburgh non-stop as the Diesels had to call at Newcastle for a for change.

The accelerated timings came in from 1962 as my 1962 ScR timetable proudly proclaims accelerated timings for all the ECML named trains in contrast to the greatly extended times of the WCML expresses lengthened by engineering works.