7mm Cosmetic Fishlates

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Miserable said:

Exactoscale seem to be only available through the Scale 7 bods, no info on how to order - is their 'shop' open to non-members, it's not clear.

No, only open to members.

I have been having the same thoughts.

Really can't comprehend what Peco were thinking with their "cosmetic fishplates". How many people want to join code 124 and code 143? There must be a vastly bigger market for a proper code 124 cosmetic fishplate.

Also don't understand why the ScaleSeven society have a monopoly on Exactoscale products unless they bought the company.

I had the same question about an alternative to C&L's 7mm scale cosmetic fishplates and found the same answer about the Exactoscale range - so I make them.  Small slips of plastikard with embossed rivets:  not quite the square headed bolts of the p/t but servicable and low cost.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, kitpw said:

I had the same question about an alternative to C&L's 7mm scale cosmetic fishplates and found the same answer about the Exactoscale range - so I make them.  Small slips of plastikard with embossed rivets:  not quite the square headed bolts of the p/t but servicable and low cost.

Yep, that's what I've concluded.

Not quite sure you need plastic cosmetic fishplates. They tend to get in the way as they are over-thick. Etched brass is much better as they can be either glued or soldered, where functional strength is required plus being a lot thinner.

I know the C&L ones have disappeared seemingly not to return but a replacement from another source is on the cards soon but really needs things  back to normal with PPD first.

fishplates.jpg

• Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Stephen Freeman said:

Not quite sure you need plastic cosmetic fishplates. They tend to get in the way as they are over-thick. Etched brass is much better as they can be either glued or soldered, where functional strength is required plus being a lot thinner.

I know the C&L ones have disappeared seemingly not to return but a replacement from another source is on the cards soon but really needs things  back to normal with PPD first.

fishplates.jpg

Etched fishplates still on C&L's website

FISH PLATES ETCH 7 MM NICKEL SILVER 12 PAIRS

SKU 7FP101C

£14.40

Accept there is no photo, but the description clearly states etched (not cast) so they will be thin strips of brass 

As it happens one pack comes in 24 individual plates which can either be glued or soldered

A second type come in pairs joined together in the center, so can be bent into a U shape and can be either a press fit, glued or soldered into the rail webs

Also there are the plastic versions, if thought too thick can be easily thinned with a file

On 20/05/2020 at 21:55, GWR57xx said:

Also don't understand why the ScaleSeven society have a monopoly on Exactoscale products unless they bought the company.

Exactoscale made the decision a few months ago to stop selling direct and only sell through societies. I guess it is easier for them to supply a small number of societies rather than lots of individual customers. Most of their sales likely came through the societies anyway, I know all the Exactoscale components I’ve bought have been via the Scalefour Society rather than direct. 

• Like 1

On 20/05/2020 at 21:55, GWR57xx said:

No, only open to members.

I have been having the same thoughts.

Really can't comprehend what Peco were thinking with their "cosmetic fishplates". How many people want to join code 124 and code 143? There must be a vastly bigger market for a proper code 124 cosmetic fishplate.

Exactoscale found it unprofitable to keep the retail side going, may have been different had they been the sole distributors, but they seem to have found a business model which works.

C&L plan to introduce a new 7mm scale 3 bolt sprue similar to their 4 mm scale ones, the sprue will include 10 x 3 bolt chairs, 2 x bridge chairs, 2 x J chairs and 2 x H section fishplates. Think Phil said it will be ready for Autumn, 

The new revised 2 and 3 bolt 4 mm scale sprues are now available. Certainly a first in having 4 mm scale J chairs in 2 7 3 bolt format and 2 bolt bridge chairs

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I notice that the C&L website now lists four options for 7mm fishplates:

7FP101A: Plastic, 24 for 12 track joints

7FP101B: Brass, 12 for 6 track joints

7FP101C: Etched Nickel Silver, 12 for 6 track joints

7FP101D: Etched Nickel Silver reinforced rib, 12 for 6 track joints full wrap round style

Currently no photos of these last two.

Does anyone know if these are "H" style, like the Exactoscale ones?

42 minutes ago, GWR57xx said:

I notice that the C&L website now lists four options for 7mm fishplates:

7FP101A: Plastic, 24 for 12 track joints

7FP101B: Brass, 12 for 6 track joints

7FP101C: Etched Nickel Silver, 12 for 6 track joints

7FP101D: Etched Nickel Silver reinforced rib, 12 for 6 track joints full wrap round style

Currently no photos of these last two.

Does anyone know if these are "H" style, like the Exactoscale ones?

At the moment none are H section, the brass ones (7FP101B) are cast brass 

7FP101D are wrap around, so whilst joined together not what you could say H section

These are planed as described above for the autumn  in 7 mm scale

• Informative/Useful 1

I can confirm that Exactoscale 7mm Track components are only available able through the S7 Society and similarly the 4mm items (including OO Fast Track) are only available through the EMGS and S4Societies. Because we lowered the prices considerably when repossessing the range that had been sold via C&L. The margin we made was insufficient to support the Mail Order operation. We can only just about cope with the phenomenal demand generated by the three societies. It's a shame the Gauge O Guild don't have a trade facility because if they had we would be quite willing to supply them. Please remember that the Exactoscale business model is a "break even" one ie a service for" Finescale"  modellers provided voluntarily by modellers of a like mind.

Tony Sullivan 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 27/09/2020 at 15:18, Miserable said:

Well it's been a while (lots of other stuff to do on the layout!) - but thanks for all the above. I'll be ordering some plastic ones from C&L (because insulation). Cheers.

I've only just seen this thread. These the best fishplates made by Permaway https://www.phoenix-paints.co.uk/products/permaway

Available through Phoenix. 

77581_1593117735_perma008.jpg.0572d88b4f40ca6cc0e19b5f37dcff6f.jpg

Edited by fail safe
  • Informative/Useful 1

44 minutes ago, fail safe said:

I've only just seen this thread. These the best fishplates made by Permaway https://www.phoenix-paints.co.uk/products/permaway

Available through Phoenix. 

77581_1593117735_perma008.jpg.0572d88b4f40ca6cc0e19b5f37dcff6f.jpg

Dammit, those are nice! The track is laid, but I guess I can chop them up. I like the high-Ni rail too, silver rail tops rather than, er, 'yellow'. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Miserable said:

I ordered some. And a damn great pot of Sleeper Grime... Impulse purchases eh? When I get them I'll do a bit on my blog.

Look exactly the same as the Exactoscale ones that have been around for ages, also C&L are in the process of releasing new 7 mm 3 bolt sprues which are in the same format of the new 4mm ones and these fishplates will be on the sprues and available separately  

2 hours ago, hayfield said:

Look exactly the same as the Exactoscale ones that have been around for ages, also C&L are in the process of releasing new 7 mm 3 bolt sprues which are in the same format of the new 4mm ones and these fishplates will be on the sprues and available separately  

As discussed above, the Exactoscale ones are only available to members (sorry, I forget what of!), and I need 4 bolt. That aside, the C&L ones have a, er, rib I guess, to go between rail ends so I'd have to file them anyway - I'm using them cosmetically on track already laid. I'm only going by the website photos, so I may be talking tosh, but the moulding on the Permaway ones appears to be in a different league (though the mould marks are a bit irritating). Getting 60 for less than 24 costs is a bit of a clincher TBH.

19 hours ago, hayfield said:

But these are freely available.  Apparently they were designed by the same person!