Göring's Model Railways and Special Train

maico

Interesting to see that the commander of the German Luftwaffe was so scared of allied fighters that his train was equipped with anti aircraft guns.

If I am not completely mistaken, his private coach can be seen at the "Deutsches Dampflok Museum" in Neuenmarkt-Wirsberg. It has even a bath tub installed. (XL-Size of course). After the end of WW2, the first German chancellor Konrad Adenauer was using the same coach. He was a very parsimonious guy, quite unlike Hermann Göring.

Michael

• Informative/Useful 1

Each of the members of the senior command had those gun cars in their train. That may have been mandated by the Sicherheitsdienst or other security agency rather than Göring himself.

A pity about mixing up classes 52 and 56. 

Unusual for either class to be used on this type of train. 

A class 38, Prussian P8, would be more likely to be used as the motive power. As is shown in the colour title shot.

An interesting piece of film none the less.

Bernard 

• RMweb Gold

Goring's full size train is well documented, but I'd like to see more of his model railway, of which there seems to be little. It would be interesting to see what could be done, money no object in the 1930s.

I understand the Soviet soldiers smashed it when they invaded. 

47 minutes ago, JohnR said:

... I understand the Soviet soldiers smashed it when they invaded. 

Probably saw no reason to change their usual habits ...

Edited by spikey

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, spikey said:

Probably saw no reason to change their usual habits ...

Yes apparently it wasn't built to P4 standards and the coaches were the wrong livery.....;)

The whole Mark Felton channel makes for very interesting viewing - particularly like the story of Heydrich's car given we have a very tenuous family connection with the assassination episode.

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

I am sure I have posted this before but in case folks are unaware.

Goring was a subscriber to Model Railway News.

When the war started the quality of the paper was reduced as an austerity measure.

The next copy was duly sent along with a note that explained and apologized, that due to the current situation of there being a war going on the paper had to be of a lesser quality.

Bernard

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5

• 1 month later...
On 21/05/2020 at 17:06, Bernard Lamb said:

A pity about mixing up classes 52 and 56. 

Unusual for either class to be used on this type of train. 

A class 38, Prussian P8, would be more likely to be used as the motive power. As is shown in the colour title shot.

An interesting piece of film none the less.

Bernard 

Quite.  I was also a bit surprised to learn that BR56 were kreigslocomotiven.

Conrad Addenuer apparently used three of the cars in whatever his tour-by-rail was.  Maerklin commemorated this by doing a set (43229) comprising: the boardroom coach; a sleeper; one of the garage coaches; a viking model of his limo; and some presierlings.  it's a very nice set.

Conrad's loco was an E19 or whatever has the 'pants crease' front end.

Liliput have done the flak wagons over the years, as well as a set of the cars in camoflouge.  Pretty sure that they did dome of the cars as individual pieces.

Somewhere, there is a list of all the cars by road number. 

10 2051232927478_10205.JPG.910e25d22ffdfa731d771698035082ce.JPG

2109435847_10293.JPG.75a0647a2768182d30b89e5748fbbd00.JPG

11 657279735574_11657.JPG.13e30614839caca1c48f468147c944cd.JPG

Apologies for the poor quality

Edited by Vinedusk
tpyso

• 7 months later...

Even Hitler's train had a bath wagon or a coach with a bath in it. A German who was a staff member on the train said you couldn't go before the boss (Hitler) without a wash and brush up. Apparently he was never called the Fuhrer on the trains only the boss. The bath wagon weighed eighty tons and once it derailed on a sharp curve. The engineers had to rerail it and during the rerailing Goering graced them with his enormous presence. He bought crates of beer for the engineers and they had to put up with his endless stupid suggestions.  It was on TV and this man told of how the Germans regauged Russian lines to standard gauge but it was never enough. There was always some point where they had to change over to Russian wide gauge trains.