The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

caution to everybody that uses youtube

sir douglas

There is a youtube account going around hacking and bypassing security to take over accounts and use them as bots, it starts by interacting in some way with a video comment by a user named Logan which always says something like "please be my friend" but the fishy parts is that he will comment on a video before it goes public and mentions something about the contents of the video which should be impossible. his videos have an unusually high viewer rate because he is using stolen accounts, it is currently  recomended that if oyu see these kind of comments, dont interect with it in anyway and dont go to his channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q853HSIl8u0&t=687s

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
On 20/05/2020 at 17:36, jonny777 said:

Surely, this must be a hoax. 

How can anyone take over another Youtube account? 

It's an account with an ID and password, so susceptible to attacks like any other online account. In this case a bit of social engineering using a name of some well known "youtuber" to lure people in and a possible OAuth vulnerability.

• Informative/Useful 1

I often get a comment such as “great vid... can we be friends” or whatever within seconds of posting a new video. These tend to be bots enticing you to subscribe to channels which are then sold to become pre-built channels with loads of subscribers. I’ve never heard of one comment including details of a video before it is public; I don’t think that can be accurate, but it always pays to be wary of unusual comments/commenters. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 20/05/2020 at 19:23, Clive Mortimore said:

When I uploaded my last video within seconds Logan suggested I use some of its music and wanted to be my friend. The comment has been deleted. I did not respond.

Had one of those from Matty on my recent brook lamprey video.

Just the suggestion that it was a really nice video sounded a bit fishy.....

Edited by Phil Bullock
Video added

• RMweb Premium

YouTube is like a few other online services, a terrific product that can attract the less admirable elements. I use it a lot as it is great for trialling new music, there are some great video channels (a favourite is Rick Beato, I also like Petrol Ped) and you can find something for any taste. I often leave comments for the channels I like but that's as far it goes.

• Like 1