Hycote - alternative to Halford’s plastic grey primer

During the lockdown it was not possible to buy Halford’s plastic grey primer. A little research discovered ‘Hycote’ made in the same factory (https://jamesbriggs.co.uk ). Tried it out recently and can see no difference in quality nor performance. It costs less and the cans as larger at 400ml instead of 300ml Halfords sized cans. Available from many online suppliers including Amazon.  I recently received a 4 pack for £18.70 inc postage. At least painting projects don’t have to be suspended during the ‘stay at home’ precautions while retailers are closed.

IMG_6021.JPG

IMG_6035.JPG

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Gold

https://www.google.com/search?q=plastikote+spray&client=firefox-b-m&sxsrf=ALeKk00jsD-62-W0kl_GmnpneWPge6DwgA:1590045614792&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiwhq_AtcTpAhXipHEKHWgwA9UQ_AUIBygC&biw=1280&bih=624#imgrc=W1Vu5suefwaAKM%3A

During the lockdown I've discovered these sprays, excellent coverage, fine pigmentation, good nozzle spray pattern and not an aggressive spray pressure, a fine misting.

I'm using red oxide and grey primer for wagons, matt black for underframes and clear matt sealer to seal transfers before weathering.

The red oxide primer is as near as dammit to BR bauxite which I brushed on top to see what the difference was.

Try them, you'll like them, at only £8 a can, good value IMHO.

Mike.

• Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

Hycote paint is just the same as Halfords but cheaper.

Correct, same chemical from the same factory, different label, but also 400ml instead of 300ml so price is way better than Halford's

6 hours ago, micklner said:

Can says " high build " thereon . Doesnt sound good for fine modelling .

Halfords are doing click and collect, unless you do not have a nearby store.

Well on trials here it has worked ok. Same chemical from the same factory. Halfords had been closed the past few week during the lockdown. I was able to get Hycote in the post.

Hycote do non high build primers too. I ordered a two pack of standard grey from Amazon a couple of weeks backs for about 12 quid. I've never used a plastic primer from Halfords or Hycote, never had issue with the normal stuff. How does it differ from normal primer?

Jo

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 23/05/2020 at 10:39, Steadfast said:

I've never used a plastic primer from Halfords or Hycote, never had issue with the normal stuff. How does it differ from normal primer?

Its thicker I think. Only used plastic primer once and reverted to the normal stuff

• Thanks 1