A Gresley Full Brake at Bailey Gate

On January 8th 2011, KEMPENFELT posted the following in an LMS TPOs topic under UK PROTOTYPE DISCUSSIONS.

The second paragraph refers to a Gresley Full Brake from Bailey Gate on the S&D being added to a northbound service from Bristol (I don't know whether it started there) and going as far as Sheffield.

Now, I'm very interested in Bailey Gate, but I've never come across any reference to this working before.  Can anyone 'shed any light' on it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KEMPENFELT Said

I did a bit of research with Robin last year specifically focusing on the Midland TPO, unfortunately I can't put my hands on it at he moment though. I do believe that 30282 formed part of the Midland TPO based on the photo's we've seen. The formation consisted of 3 TPO vehicles (2 POT's with a POS in the middle without the pick up gear) at the front of the train followed by BG, CK, TK, TK, BCK, BG, BG. The last BG only travelled between Bristol and Sheffield. A very nice George Heiron photo that we have seen in the mid 50's shows the passenger vehicles and BG's all to be MK1's in crimson and cream, however I don't think the last BG was included. The train was being hauled by a Jubilee, most likely one of the Bristol based engines.

There was also an additional BG added to the northbound working at Mangotsfield, this travelled up the S&D from Bailey Gate and also only went as far as Sheffield. From pictures I've seen I believe this was a Gresley full brake.

The southbound train was slightly different, the main 10 coach consist remained the same, however the BG from the S&D did not return on this train. There was however another BG which was attached at Derby and detached at Worcester.

I think the other POT in this train may have been 30292. I think I potentially identified the POS too but cant think what the number would have been off the top of my head.

If anybody can confirm or correct any of the information above, then there's a few of us that would very much appreciate it!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apologies for referring to a 10 year old topic, but I've only just found it as it wasn't in the S&D section.

Does anyone know anything at all about this working ?

Peter ,

Edited by Combe Martin