Level crossing gates designs

ikcdab

• RMweb Gold

Hi there, I am looking at building level crossing gates for my LSWR / southern / BR (S) layout. This is to cross a main road.

There appear to be a myriad of differing designs across the whole country, but did individual railways have specific patterns?

It seems that the variables are

1. Whether the horizontals are tapered or parallel

2. Design of mesh or no mesh and metal bars

3. Whether the internal bracing is "x" or single diagonals

4. Design of posts

5. Location of targets.

Most gates seem to be two or three bays across the country.

Many earlier designs are more esoteric, but these were mostly replaced or only survived on quieter lines.

I suppose the easiest is to copy from an original, I have photos of chard junction and braunton, both are which are different.

Does anyone have any specific info on southern style of gates or any drawings?

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

Thank you.  Maybe I didn't phrase the question very well.

I need some typical LSWR / BR(S) gates.

Can I use a generic design, or did the Southern do something different or distinctive?

I like to scratchbuild!

The important thing is that the gates are appropriate for the chosen crossing. Best bet is to find a set of gates from the area which you are basing your model on and  pay lots of attention to the width and camber of the road as well as the method of operation.

Failing that just glue the Airfix ones in a permanently open position!

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Blandford1969 said:

I have a vauge memory there may be a drawing in the book on Southern Signalling. I am away for a funeral but should be home on Sunday so will have a look for you. 

Thanks I have Pryers book. It has some good pictures but no drawing. However, I now have one from elsewhere so I will try and make up my own version! 

Edited by ikcdab
  • Like 1

Blandford1969 & ikcdab,

I reckon the drawing you're thinking of is the one of 'S.R. Proposed Standard Level Crossing Gates' on pages 72 / 73 of Irwell Press's 'Southern Nouveau and the Lineside'.

It shows, with main dimensions, one pair of a set of quad gates, (Targets split centrally). These are depicted as two bay with 'X' internal bracing. The horizontals being parallel.

The accompanying photo of the gates at Wrafton (On the Barnstaple to Ilfracombe line) appear to show the horizontals as being tapered, as are / were the L.S.W.R. / S.R. gates modelled by M.S.E. / Wizard.

P.S.

The diagram in G. A. Pryor's 'A Pictorial Record of Southern Signals' p.178, describes the mechanical rodding / crank connections for a  wheel operated, double line, four gated crossing.

All the best.

Frank.

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Ceptic said:

Blandford1969 & ikcdab,

I reckon the drawing you're thinking of is the one of 'S.R. Proposed Standard Level Crossing Gates' on pages 72 / 73 of Irwell Press's 'Southern Nouveau and the Lineside'.

It shows, with main dimensions, one pair of a set of quad gates, (Targets split centrally). These are depicted as two bay with 'X' internal bracing. The horizontals being parallel.

The accompanying photo of the gates at Wrafton (On the Barnstaple to Ilfracombe line) appear to show the horizontals as being tapered, as are / were the L.S.W.R. / S.R. gates modelled by M.S.E. / Wizard.

P.S.

The diagram in G. A. Pryor's 'A Pictorial Record of Southern Signals' p.178, describes the mechanical rodding / crank connections for a  wheel operated, double line, four gated crossing.

All the best.

Frank.

You may well be right, I will have a look for you tomorrow when i get home and if I can find it will send you a message with it