Tracksetta - Opinions?

When I put my flexitrack in place, I just put a 4th radius curve on top and made sure it was the same.

When making the inside track, I used a couple of coaches to make sure they didn't bash together - the results look okay.

Would a tracksetta have been useful in this example?

Which ones would be good to get as a bit of a "starter set"? 

When laying my curves I used a 3rd radius Tracksetta to get the inside curve laid to ensure a smooth curve. As there was no 4th radius tracksetta in my pack I then ‘borrowed’ some of the kids 4-stud square LEGO bricks and butted them up against the outside sleeper edge to act as spacers. It was then an easy job to bend the outside curve round the bricks to get the perfect gap for N-gauge, ensuring a smooth curve and that even with mk3 coaches they wouldn’t bash together when passing on the curves. 

I dare say a similar packing item could be found for 00?

regards

Hector

Back in the day, I wouldn't have been without my 18, 24, 30 inch set.

More recently, when I laid aSM32 oval in the greenhouse I invested in a jumbo 42" version to ensure that already tight curves did not suffer from any tight spots. I think it may have come from Marcway. Best £10 spent!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

Which ones would be good to get as a bit of a "starter set"? 

That's surely very layout dependent.  If you want a minimum radius of 36", then there wouldn't be much point in buying an 18" Tracksetta.  If you're working with train set radius curves, then you may have little use for the 60" Tracksetta (although the large radius ones can be used to provide a transition into something tighter.

The plan for my layout is to have a minimum radius of 30", so that's the one that I'll probably use most.

• RMweb Gold

I found the parallel track tool from Proser very useful.  It works equally well on straights and curves and you can set your own fixed or variable  track centres.

https://proses.com/prestashop/track-laying-tools/22-ho-oo-scale-adjustable-parallel-track-tool-8680979260401.html

You may to choose tracksetta to lay your first curved track but this makes laying the second  easier

Edited by BoD
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I recently rebuilt my fiddle yard to an L shape, and the minimum radius I wanted was 2ft. I tried as much as I could to get it to 2ft by hand, but I kept getting pinch points, so purchased a 24in tracksetta, and it's the best purchase i've ever made. Had the curve laid properly to the correct radius within about 30 mins of it arriving through the door. Well worth it.

• Like 1