I hope this isn't a question that has already been extensively covered, but could someone point me to some links or books that I could reference for coach formations? I'm an overseas modeller and the BR coach codes are boggling. I understand corridor has the corridor down the side of the coach with compartments that can be accessed, but would these run in a coach with open stock (aisle down the middle)? 

I was looking at running some three to seven coach formations on local and express services, but why would you couple a CK to a SO? Why run First or Second Corridors with a composite coach? Were non gangwayed stock reserved for branch and suburban services, and if so how did the guard move through the train?

Sorry if I seem a bit uninformed. Flail me at your mercy!

Edited by The Yard Shunt

Fools rush in ...

The  formation of a train used to depend on the work that it was expected to do.  There is no point in running a 10 coach train if only 10 passengers are expected, though that was before social distancing reared its far from pretty head!  We had compartments, and ornate panelling, because the first railway carriages were made from two or more stagecoach bodies mounted on a rail underframe.  We have open saloons partly because Churchward saw that lots of doors all along the coach would make it weaker.  It took many, many years for the compartment to fade away from front-line use.

You might couple open stock to compartment stock because open coaches can be used for dining.  You run a first or a second with a composite to reflect the numbers of first and second class passengers that you expect to carry.  Most non-gangwayed coaches were used on branch and suburban services BUT if you are expecting to carry up to 1,000 passengers to the seaside you need either non-corridor stock or much longer platforms than any station known to man. 

There is, of course, much more to it than that ...

Chris

• Agree 1

Do you have a particular Region you wish to model, or a specific time period?

It might be possible to point you towards examples you could look to replicate.

On some parts of the network trains might divide en-route so more than one brake van and first class accomodation might be provided. Elsewhere the buffet or restaurant car might be detached before the end of the journey.

cheers 

• RMweb Premium

Some nomenclature

BTK = brake third corridor

BTO = brake third open

BSK = brake second corridor (was brake third corridor)

BSO = brake second open (was brake second open)

BFK = brake first corridor

BCK = brake composite corridor

I don't think there was an open equivalent

CK = composite corridor

CO = composite open

FK = first corridor

FO/TFO = first open/ trailer first open

TK = third corridor

TO = third open

SO/TSO second open/ trailer second open.

That should get you started there are also catering and sleeper coaches, but you can probably work them out from the above list.  Trailers in the description is relatively modern and relates mostly to multiple units and fixed formations.

FO = first open

2 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Some nomenclature

BTK = brake third corridor

BTO = brake third open

BSK = brake second corridor (was brake third corridor)

BSO = brake second open (was brake second open)

BFK = brake first corridor

BCK = brake composite corridor

I don't think there was an open equivalent

CK = composite corridor

CO = composite open

FK = first corridor

FO/TFO = first open/ trailer first open

TK = third corridor

TO = third open

SO/TSO second open/ trailer second open.

That should get you started there are also catering and sleeper coaches, but you can probably work them out from the above list.  Trailers in the description is relatively modern and relates mostly to multiple units and fixed formations.

FO = first open

On HSTs, the terms for the passenger coaches (rather than buffet cars) was TF and TS; Trailer First and Trailer Second.

TSO stands for *Tourist*Second Open, to distinguish its "2+2" seating layout from a Second Open with "2+1" seating layout. From vague recollection, I think the "Tourist" designation originated in LNER parlance, but please correct me...

• Agree 1